Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Bruford - One of a Kind

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    Hmm. That ProgArchives OoaK review needs....work

e.g., definitely not fretless bass, and I doubt that's steel guitar either.
    There was a debate about the "fretless bass" thing here a couple of years ago. Shortly after, I was on a bus with Danny Gottlieb (we're in a touring cover band together) and he was on the phone with Jeff Berlin (they're close friends). I told Danny to ask Jeff if he played fretless on any tracks with Bruford and Jeff said he has NEVER played fretless. That settles that!

And BTW, I love FGtM, but I think of it as Bill's project album. By OoaK, they became a bonafide band and it sounds like it.

I got to see Bruford live. Going into it, I didn't know that Holdsworth had left. But the "unknown" John Clark did an admirable job of filling those giant shoes and it was still a great concert!

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post

As for ranking, OoaK is the masterpiece to my ears, FGtM is just the warm-up.
    Perfect description. Took out my FGtM the other day to reacquaint myself again with it and sadly the CD won’t play anymore. I’ll have to dust off my vinyl copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my top 10 Rock/Fusion albums. Recorded during a moment of time with the right people who were making rare classic albums. Our generation of Brubeck's and Coltranes.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    And BTW, I love FGtM
    I keep thinking this must stand for Frankie Goes to Manchester.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Good album but I prefer Feels Goog To Me. Annette Peacock's singing is a nice extra that this album sadly lacks.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    John Greaves is absolutely outstanding on Of Qs. Of course they are different records, Of Qs is less symphonic and more experimental, and imo more difficult to grasp (I suspect that this could be the reason for not liking it). A couple of listens won't do for sure.

At least they didn't do for me...
    I like Of Q much better than the debut. One reason is Greaves' brilliant bass playing (interplay with Pyle in
    Squarer for Maud... wow!) which I just adore. I think that Of Q would probably cut into my top 20 all-time greatest list. Debut would barely make into top-100.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I like Of Q much better than the debut. One reason is Greaves' brilliant bass playing (interplay with Pyle in
    Squarer for Maud... wow!) which I just adore. I think that Of Q would probably cut into my top 20 all-time greatest list. Debut would barely make into top-100.
    Could very well be my favorite bass playing performance ever, it even makes a huge player like Neil Murray sound...ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    One's that come close to me that are similar in approach/sound/style..,

Brand X - Masques
    Dixie Dregs - What If
    Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
    Happy the Man - s/t
    Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
    and the two National Health albums

Wow!...Excellent list. These are all very moody and One Of A Kind Is moody. Now..I'm going to dig these out of my collection and play them this afternoon...This list is inspiring. Crosswinds by Billy Cobham was inspiring to me as well

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    One's that come close to me that are similar in approach/sound/style..,

Brand X - Masques
    Dixie Dregs - What If
    Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
    Happy the Man - s/t
    Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean
    and the two National Health albums
    Although recorded slightly later I would like to add David Sancious' "Just As I Thought" to this list. Not only Bruford's bass-player Jeff Berlin is on a couple of tracks, Sancious plays some quite Holdsworthian guitar-solo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    Crosswinds by Billy Cobham was inspiring to me as well
    another excellent album!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Thoughts on this classic from 1979? I have always sort of seen these albums as relatives or companion pieces (of a sort) of the UK albums. But then there are some National Health style moments that also make the album stand out.

Review from ProgArchives:

The best album EVER. Such a game changer. Just so amazingly awesome to hear when it first came out. Ridiculously fresh. Dave Stewart and Bruford were both idols of mine. Holdsworth too? Forget about it. What a kickass record
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

"Hells Bells" has the Hatfield & The North/National Health vibe and when those angelic voices arrive ..make no mistake..that style or approach is present. Dave Stewart is in a world of his own, particularly with his Progressive writing and to the rare point of having originality. Bruford somehow understood the flow of One Of A Kind in it's entirety. Aside from some nice improvisation it creates a visual . With "Sahara Of Snow" the album subtly role plays characteristics of Prog and that being an approach to an instrumental composition revolving around a concept and this can be attributed to one particular timeless representation of "One Of A Kind". It's a unique album and it's difficult to compare it to other instrumental releases of that era. Generally speaking...you could find other instrumental albums of that time that focused on both..Classical and Jazz and are timeless. As in Billy Cobham's Crosswinds.... with it's same energy level and visual concept ...creating an atmosphere that recreates itself periodically throughout the album or luring people in through the sound of the wind. Even people disinterested in instrumental music might be keen to it....for it's subtle theme. One Of A Kind has the art form present ..not just another Fusion album. The dynamics are dreamy and the music takes you on a journey.