Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Musical Time Machine Moment

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have to give my older brother a little credit for getting me tuned onto The Who and Warren Zevon right before I went to college. Also a couple of Sparks songs and some song by a band called Doug and the Slugs. So I had a little mix tape when I went off to college.

Actually, he got me into Tommy, and I think I got him into Quadrophenia.
    I worked as a Bellman at the Delta Ottawa Hotel in Ottawa during my undergrad studies (mid-80s). Doug and the Slugs were staying in the hotel. I brought them free treats (chips and stuff) from the hotel kitchen and chatted with the band. A month later, I was at a Doug and Slugs concert at my university. There was a huge platform where the soundman had his gear. I jumped up and security started to freak out but the sound engineer recognized me and told the guy to no worry. I watch the show, high as a kite, from that prestigious location!

Mahavishnu Orchestra, first public performance, 1971
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Back in the day if a Canadian boy wanted to see a show in Detroit you had to cross the border to a Ticketmaster. Myself and 2 friends were over to pick up tickets to various shows and the guy behind the coun

Seatrain,Rider College,NJ, 1972.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

back in early 76 I was in a buddy's car and he popped in a cassette of WYWH for about 30 seconds before changing it to some "driving music" and I was like "what was that?!" and he said "just some head music". I wasn't familiar with PF at the time other than Money being played on the radio. I had always been more into hard Rock, a little progressive music and Funk. Fast forward 3 years and I was at a girl's apartment who asked me if I liked Pink Floyd and I said "Money is a cool" and she said "oh, you *need* to hear this". She had this kickass stereo and a comfy sofa and I was completely blown away. Been a huge PF fan ever since
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 03-23-2018 at 04:03 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Back in the day if a Canadian boy wanted to see a show in Detroit you had to cross the border to a Ticketmaster. Myself and 2 friends were over to pick up tickets to various shows and the guy behind the coun
    Dude, you still with us?

Dude, you still with us?
    Wherefore are thou, Anthony?

I forgot about the summer of 1970 when I was playing in a band in Maine (Ricky & The Spitfires tho' there was no Ricky in the band-not my idea).

We were invited to open a day long festival in Portland, ME. We were the low band on the festival's 10 band totem pole & went on at 10:30am. Much later that night the last 2 bands were the Buddy Miles Express and then Santana closed the show. We had packed up after our set & left before they came on, but for almost 60 years I've been telling people that I played on the same bill with those 2 bands! It was also the biggest audience we ever played before (about 2,000 at 10:30am & we were told that it got up to about 5,000 in prime time).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

My wife and I (who are from the US) were on vacation in Paris, eating dinner at a sidewalk cafe on the Blvd Saint-Germain. It was a beautiful May evening. The Parisians were all out, impeccably clad, strutting their stuff. Part way through dinner, a young man sets up a little table next to the cafe and begins performing magic tricks. He turns on his boom-box, and out comes Jean Michel Jarre! One of my all-time favorite artists. Instantly, all the stars in the universe lined up: Paris... Chateaubriand... pomme frites... house red wine... under the stars... Jarre playing. Without the music, it would not have been as magical.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    My wife and I (who are from the US) were on vacation in Paris, eating dinner at a sidewalk cafe on the Blvd Saint-Germain. It was a beautiful May evening. The Parisians were all out, impeccably clad, strutting their stuff. Part way through dinner, a young man sets up a little table next to the cafe and begins performing magic tricks. He turns on his boom-box, and out comes Jean Michel Jarre! One of my all-time favorite artists. Instantly, all the stars in the universe lined up: Paris... Chateaubriand... pomme frites... house red wine... under the stars... Jarre playing. Without the music, it would not have been as magical.
    I can (sort of) relate to that.

When my late gf and I were in Paris, we went to Cafe Absinthe and as soon as they saw we were Americans, they changed the music from some French pop singer to Pink Floyd's WYWH. We were impressed & happy & we told them so. I got a free pour!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The first time I heard The Enid play Nimrod live. Redcar Coatham Bowl. Just mind blowing. A favourite tune from a favourite band.

No. It was a rare trip to NYC for Kate.
    But you were in the UK?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    No. It was a rare trip to NYC for Kate.
    Wow, didn’t know she did that. Except for SNL. Was that when?