Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Musical Time Machine Moment

Several times I have had several strong 'moments in time" musical memories. Hearing "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" by James Brown in an old 58 Chevy. First day of school, hearing "Yesterday" over the school PA speaker. Watching the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour and hearing "Gentle On My Mind" for the first time. One of the few times I got stoned with a friend and hearing "Speak To Me/Breathe/On The Run" for the first time on WRAS. My older brother's 16th birthday, upon receiving Trilogy for a present, immediately puts it on the turntable and cues up "Hoedown", playing air keyboards in delight. While I had heard "Lucky Man" before this, I had no idea ELP rocked like this. This was what prompted me to buy my own copy of this, as my brother wouldn't let me touch his records. Listening to WRAS for much of the 70s, turned me onto a lot of great Classic Prog.
    Scariest musical moment ever- tripping on LSD at a Black Oak Arkansas show. Very dumb idea. Coolest concert ever- Todd Rundgren's Utopia at the Fox Theater when Utopia Theme was recorded. Amazing show, just sad I had to leave early. First concert date- took Kelly (my wife now) to see George Winston at Symphony Hall. Music From The Hearts of Space in the 80s had some incredibly beautiful programs. I bought a cassette deck specifically to record these programs. Playing acoustic and classical guitar in my bedroom starting in high school really helped me cope with a lot of disappointment during this time.
    Doing various radio shows at WVGS at GA Southern was a lot of fun. One particular segue that I was proud of was Boston's "Foreplay" organ fade just before "Long Time" into the guitar solo and outro from "Utopia Theme". I did this with Technics SP-10s. I had to avoid jumping up and down with excitement because they weren't well isolated.
    I've seen a number of awesome guitarists over the years- Michael Hedges, Phil Keaggy (13 times!), Steve Howe (TFTO, Relayer) and Eric Clapton on the 461 Ocean Blvd tour. His solo on "Badge" was absolutely jaw-dropping. Of course, Ive seen Phil play some stuff I simply couldn't believe.
    My favorite recording remains "The Mission" from the DVD Morricone Conducts Morricone. It rarely fails to bring tears to my eyes and chills up my spine.
    One other event I almost forgot, a live large scale production of Handel's Messiah (Christmas portions) complete with harpsichord.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Scariest musical moment ever- tripping on LSD at a Black Oak Arkansas show. Very dumb idea.
    Ya think? That had to be like watching Wrong Turn on acid.

I grew up watching Popeye cartoons on tv, black and white tv. I'd sing along with the opening theme song. But one day during the outro theme, the combination of different instrument sounds along with the tempo really caught my attention like never before. I'd suddenly stumbled much deeper into something that I was already familiar with and at the time I realized that I'd 'discovered' something wonderful. From then on the cartoon episode wasn't over until I'd heard all of the outro theme.
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    That is too painful man. Just because we are somewhat younger doesn't mean you have to take it on us like this! (what a dream combination!)
    I was quite lucky, this was my second big concert ever, my first was the year before in 75 The Who, which left me with ringing ears for a whole week. I didn't knew Banco back then who were obviously a great bonus to the concert and the vibes were really good. Unfortunately I never saw Gentle Giant again.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Thumbs View Post
    I grew up watching Popeye cartoons on tv, black and white tv. I'd sing along with the opening theme song. But one day during the outro theme, the combination of different instrument sounds along with the tempo really caught my attention like never before. I'd suddenly stumbled much deeper into something that I was already familiar with and at the time I realized that I'd 'discovered' something wonderful. From then on the cartoon episode wasn't over until I'd heard all of the outro theme.
    That's so sweet Dave..
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I would love to go back to the first half of 1988 when I was exploring Yes' classic albums for the first time. It was a joy and revelation that has never been equaled. Absolute magic, and I sometimes get a fleeting reminder of, just a prick of a feeling, and makes me long for the immense pleasure and wonder that accompanied that time alone in my bedroom sitting between two speakers and a turntable.

Given the opportunity to travel back in time to one particular experience, I would likely choose a Milton Nascimento concert a friend and I attended in Austin, TX circa 1990. This was the band at the time:

One of my favourite ever performances was Talk Talk playing "Living In Another World" at Hammersmith Odeon on the Colour of Spring tour in 1986. It was totally outstanding and I would love to experience that performance again.

In the meantime we can listen to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtJxJ8lsYlI

The applause afterwards is long, heartfelt and emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    It was December of 1974 I was just turning 16 my friend was a Genesis fan and turning me on to some of their music. He got us tickets to see the Lamb show at the Academy of Music in NYC. He said he had heard it was going to be a great light show and we should take something to enhance the visuals. Another friend who was suppose to drive us to the subway which was a few miles away calls just as were about to leave and says he can't go to the show because he got in trouble at school. Oh man talk about regrets! By the time we find another ride to the subway and start riding the train were running late and the effects of what we took are starting to hit us. If any of you have ever rode the NYC subway in the 70's you know that was an adventure in itself. We arrived at the venue like 30 or 40 minutes past the 8pm starting time and quickly sell the extra ticket out front for face value for something like $6.50 or $7. We get to our awesome 2nd row center lodge seats and lucky for us the concert hasn't started yet. From Tony Banks very first notes with the Manhattan skyline coming into view on the screens through the entire Lamb album we watched and listened totally mesmerized by the show. Then they announced that it was time for a few older tunes which was when they really blew us out of our seats. The power coming off that stage during the Musical box and WOTS was something I've never experienced from a band prior to or after that show. At the completion of each of those two songs it seemed that everyone in the entire theater had a lighter and some began lighting the handout that were given out with lamb story printed similar to the one on the album cover. This show totally changed my taste in music. They instantly became my all time favorite group. The next day I purchased a ticket to see it again the following weekend at the Capital theater in Passaic N.J. Without a doubt the best two concerts I ever saw!!
    Damn, great story and I'm also completely envious. This shows what a difference a year or two in age can make. I started getting into Genesis at age 15-16 also, but as I'm a few years younger, by the time I really discovered Genesis (via the newly released Trick of the Tail and Lamb) Gabriel had left the band the year before--I just missed that era of Genesis.
    And because of that timing, I also just missed the end of King Crimson's 70s touring, and got heavily into ELP and Yes during their mid 70s touring hiatuses. I've of course spent decades of concert going making up for all that...
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-18-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Yeah, that is a great story. Where WAS (or is) The Academy of Music? I always hear about that place but was never there.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Yeah, that is a great story. Where WAS (or is) The Academy of Music? I always hear about that place but was never there.
    Google could be your friend

Beatles, Baltimore '64

Where WAS (or is) The Academy of Music?
    Was.... East 14th St. A toilet (but I attended some good shows there).
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Google could be your friend
    You're right, then I wouldn't need PE!

Did this place become Hammerstein Ballroon? If so, it was never an "Academy!"

Did this place become Hammerstein Ballroon?
    The Palladium
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Beatles, Baltimore '64

That will be hard to top.

Magic moments? Many many. I'll just touch quickly on a few.

1985 - Talking to Kate Bush with my hand on her leg & her not minding. Much more innocent than that sounds.

1984 - Frank Zappa referring to me as a wacky guy.

1990 - Watching Danielle Dax do me a drawing after our 2nd interview.

1990 or 91 - Interviewing Toyah in person as Robert Fripp sat in the other room playing Fracture on guitar & Toyah saying Oh, ignore him.

2004 - Watching a packed audience sing along to my song Subpoena My Banana.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Nov View Post
    One of my favourite ever performances was Talk Talk playing "Living In Another World" at Hammersmith Odeon on the Colour of Spring tour in 1986. It was totally outstanding and I would love to experience that performance again.

In the meantime we can listen to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtJxJ8lsYlI

The applause afterwards is long, heartfelt and emotional.
    shopping.jpg

Maybe this would do...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Magic moments? Many many. I'll just touch quickly on a few.

1985 - Talking to Kate Bush with my hand on her leg & her not minding. Much more innocent than that sounds.

1984 - Frank Zappa referring to me as a wacky guy.

1990 - Watching Danielle Dax do me a drawing after our 2nd interview.

1990 or 91 - Interviewing Toyah in person as Robert Fripp sat in the other room playing Fracture on guitar & Toyah saying Oh, ignore him.

2004 - Watching a packed audience sing along to my song Subpoena My Banana.
    Were you interviewing Kate? If so, for what - or how did you end up talking to her? Cool in any case! The Fripp one is good too.

My older brother (five years my senior) went away to college. One weekend he returned with a cassette tape. A Memorex 90.

Side A had Fragile on it.
    Side B was Tarkus.

Game over for me!!! I still remember the moment quite clearly.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Damn, great story and I'm also completely envious. This shows what a difference a year or two in age can make. I started getting into Genesis at age 15-16 also, but as I'm a few years younger, by the time I really discovered Genesis (via the newly released Trick of the Tail and Lamb) Gabriel had left the band the year before--I just missed that era of Genesis.
    And because of that timing, I also just missed the end of King Crimson's 70s touring, and got heavily into ELP and Yes during their mid 70s touring hiatuses. I've of course spent decades of concert going making up for all that...
    I agree a few years in age can make a difference as well as where you grew up. Living in the NYC metro area provided great opportunity as almost everyone plays here. I started going to concerts at age 15 (1974) seeing Zappa then those two Lambs shows but I missed out on everything from the late 60's up to 74. Although I took full advantage and saw a wide variety of my favorite artist some numerous times I would have loved to have gone back just a few more years as well.

Here is good link describing the Academy of music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium_(New_York_City)

I was interviewing her for a local paper at the time. They only used a section of it. Here is the interview in full: http://progsheet1.hypermart.net/kbush.html

Were you interviewing Kate? If so, for what - or how did you end up talking to her? Cool in any case! The Fripp one is good too.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by markduff View Post
    I was working in Parkersburg, WV and gave a loan to a guy to open a music store in Marietta, OH. Six months later he calls and said he was providing the backline for a Tommy Page concert at Parkersburg High School. He said I had to go to the sound check. I told him no thanks. He said I had better show up because I would definitely like it. We had talked music for a few months and he knew some of my likes. Turns out Joaquin Lievano, former JL Pony guitarist, was the bandleader for Tommy Page. They played a short warmup set with Tommy Page then I got to talk with Joaquin. I told him I saw him with JL Ponty at the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh years earlier and that his album "One Mind" was one of my favorites. He and the band then played me a private set of most of that album for about 40 minutes. There were under 10 people there including the road crew to see them play. One of the best shows I ever saw.
    How cool! I think Joaquin is one of the finest players. I loved seeing him with JLP.
    And yes, "One Mind" is stunningly good (the only bad thing is that several tracks are faded out just as he gets to ripping some excellent solos).

First time I heard Side 4 of the White Album.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    I was interviewing her for a local paper at the time. They only used a section of it. Here is the interview in full: http://progsheet1.hypermart.net/kbush.html
    But you were in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    My older brother (five years my senior) went away to college. One weekend he returned with a cassette tape. A Memorex 90.

Side A had Fragile on it.
    Side B was Tarkus.

Game over for me!!! I still remember the moment quite clearly.
    I have to give my older brother a little credit for getting me tuned onto The Who and Warren Zevon right before I went to college. Also a couple of Sparks songs and some song by a band called Doug and the Slugs. So I had a little mix tape when I went off to college.

Actually, he got me into Tommy, and I think I got him into Quadrophenia.