Thread: Dave Kerzner "Dirty Soap Box" featuring Steve Hackett and Nick D'Virgilio

Dave Kerzner "Dirty Soap Box" featuring Steve Hackett and Nick D'Virgilio

Hey all! Check this out! Prog Mag has premiered my new music video of a song called "Dirty Soap Box" from my album "Static" which features Steve Hackett on guitar! http://teamrock.com/news/2018-03-14/dave-kerzner-premieres-dirty-soap-box-video-featuring-steve-hackett

The song has my former band mate from Thud, Nick D'Virgilio (Big Big Train, Spocks Beard, Genesis) on drums in the audio but the video has my live drummer Derek Cintron along with guitarist Fernando Perdomo and my fellow Sound of Contact collaborator Matt Dorsey on bass. Randy McStine of The Fringe, Lo-Fi Resistance and former SOC touring guitarist does sound design on the guitar for it as well.

See if you recognize the backdrop on stage where this was shot at the Saban Theater in LA. An opportune moment to tip the hat to one of my favorite bands, Genesis! The song is kind of like my version of a modern day "Broadway Melody of 74" but with current events as the theme. A retro/modern kind of trip. Hackett's cameo is like a Force Ghost because it was taken from another performance he did with us at a different show.

The album is available on CD world-wide from Cherry Red Records here: http://geni.us/Static
    Also available in streaming for free or for HQ download or on CD from my bandcamp page: http://sonicelements.bandcamp.com/album/static

Smoking video!
    I never thought this before, but you resemble Sammy Hagar when you’re wearing shades...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice, Dave
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

[QUOTE=Boceephus;788024]Smoking video!
    I never thought this before, but you resemble Sammy Hagar when you’re wearing shades...lol
    /QUOTE]

Wow, that's a fact. Three Lock Dirty Soap Box!!!

Another great video.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Sammy Hagar? Haha! That's a first. I also can't drive 55 but other than that this is all I thought we had in common. Maybe I should start a multi-million dollar tequila company!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I agree! Great video.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I agree! Great video.
    Thanks! So none of you recognize the backdrop behind us on stage? Take a little trip back with father tiresias...

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Thanks! So none of you recognize the backdrop behind us on stage? Take a little trip back with father tiresias...
    Having just seen TMB it was a piece of cake.

As to Hackett's "different show" I wuz there, too.
    Last edited by BarryLI; 03-15-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Having just seen TMB it was a piece of cake.

As to Hackett's "different show" I wuz there, too.
    Haha! Yeah you got it right on both. We opened for The Musical Box at the Saban Theater so we had no choice but to have this old Genesis backdrop behind us. However, since this song tips the hat to Genesis anyway it was fitting. As for Hackett, yeah the only footage we had of him was from his guest appearance with us at Cruise To The Edge (and I have some footage of him playing with me and Francis Dunnery as well). He kindly gave permission to fly him in like a force ghost so he could be represented in the video. Originally when we performed this song before it was released there was no guitar solo. But, in retrospect it was a wise decision creatively to ask him to join us. I really love what he played on this song. He's still got "It"! And of course it's always great to have one of your heroes playing with you. Can't take that for granted!

Haha! Yeah you got it right on both. We opened for The Musical Box at the Saban Theater so we had no choice but to have this old Genesis backdrop behind us. However, since this song tips the hat to Genesis anyway it was fitting. As for Hackett, yeah the only footage we had of him was from his guest appearance with us at Cruise To The Edge (and I have some footage of him playing with me and Francis Dunnery as well). He kindly gave permission to fly him in like a force ghost so he could be represented in the video. Originally when we performed this song before it was released there was no guitar solo. But, in retrospect it was a wise decision creatively to ask him to join us. I really love what he played on this song. He's still got "It"! And of course it's always great to have one of your heroes playing with you. Can't take that for granted!
    I'm sure it pales to be watching you guys up there from 30 feet away but for a prog fan it's a trip feeling the same way about Genesis, too. I rode in an elevator with Steve and Jo and I couldn't even get words out, a shame since he's seemingly such a nice bloke. Then again I came face to face with you too a bunch of times, guess I'm shy around rock royalty, shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    I'm sure it pales to be watching you guys up there from 30 feet away but for a prog fan it's a trip feeling the same way about Genesis, too. I rode in an elevator with Steve and Jo and I couldn't even get words out, a shame since he's seemingly such a nice bloke. Then again I came face to face with you too a bunch of times, guess I'm shy around rock royalty, shrug.
    Rock royalty is jus a concept of the mind! They're very nice approachable people. Most of the artists on CTTE are.

Banned
    The video is great because it enhances the perception of the music, and vice versa. Just curious, when one listens to a YouTube like that, is the audio lossless PCM?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The video is great because it enhances the perception of the music, and vice versa. Just curious, when one listens to a YouTube like that, is the audio lossless PCM?
    Thanks! I think the audio is along the lines of mp3 compression so not the best really but decent. I'm actually thinking of making a video collection with great quality audio (possibly even surround) on Blu-Ray at some point. I think some people would really enjoy it that way. I would!

Banned

Dave Kerzner "Dirty Soap Box" featuring Steve Hackett and Nick D'Virgilio

Thanks! I think the audio is along the lines of mp3 compression so not the best really but decent. I'm actually thinking of making a video collection with great quality audio (possibly even surround) on Blu-Ray at some point. I think some people would really enjoy it that way. I would!
    The video I watched was labeled HD and is recommended by Youtube to be 384 Kbs. It did sound like that bit rate to me, and was quite good.

I’m sure you remember PG’s “Play the Videos” DVD and it sounded fantastic. It was remixed by Daniel Lanois and Richard Chappell and formatted in DTS 24bit 96KHz. That version of DTS is not lossless but I feel it is the best sounding lossy surround formats.
    Last edited by Firth; 03-16-2018 at 08:22 PM.

The video I watched was labeled HD and is recommended by Youtube to be 384 Kbs. It did sound like that bit rate to me, and was quite good.

I’m sure you remember PG’s “Play the Videos” DVD and it sounded fantastic. It was remixed by Daniel Lanois and Richard Chappell and formatted in DTS 96 bit 24KHz. That version of DTS is not lossless but I feel it is the best sounding lossy surround formats.
    I release 24 bit/96k versions of my albums on http://sonicelements.bandcamp.com I'm also working on surround sound mixes of both New World and Static. So, having this material to me makes sense to connect it with the videos for those who like to enjoy HD audio and video. It may not be HUGE market mind you but... I don't know. I do the things I would want to buy.

Banned
    I release 24 bit/96k versions of my albums on http://sonicelements.bandcamp.com I'm also working on surround sound mixes of both New World and Static. So, having this material to me makes sense to connect it with the videos for those who like to enjoy HD audio and video. It may not be HUGE market mind you but... I don't know. I do the things I would want to buy.
    You probably noticed that I fixed my 24/96 comment. I wonder how big the market was for the Genesis 24/96 versions of the remixes. I was lucky myself in being able to buy the 70-81 boxes from HK in Japan and they were hybrid SACD and DVD (with DTS 24/96). More recently I listened to the CD remixes of these albums. Contrary to the fake news about compression in these remixes, when comparing to a lot of other music produced on CD, these Genesis remixes are not very compressed.

You probably noticed that I fixed my 24/96 comment. I wonder how big the market was for the Genesis 24/96 versions of the remixes. I was lucky myself in being able to buy the 70-81 boxes from HK in Japan and they were hybrid SACD and DVD (with DTS 24/96). More recently I listened to the CD remixes of these albums. Contrary to the fake news about compression in these remixes, when comparing to a lot of other music produced on CD, these Genesis remixes are not very compressed.
    "I was there and I saw what he did. Saw it with my own two eyes" haha. I was there the day Nick Davis mixed "Mama" and he let me hear the final masters of a bunch of tunes at The Farm before the box sets came out. I know what he used for compression and it was pretty normal. SSL dynamics, 1176 and for the surround channels he used an Avalon lightly.

For me personally. the surround mixes are all epic. The stereo mixes sound great and in some cases like on Wind & Wuthering and Seconds Out there were improvements made in the dynamics and balls of the tracks compared to the original. "Squonk" live on Seconds Out used to be quite weak compared to Squonk on Trick of the Tail which was always quite ballsy. But, sometimes the compression in the stereo mixes, which isn't necessarily heavy but it is different than the originals mixed by people like David Hentschel, Hugh Padgham, Johnny Burns... the more noticeable differences are certain parts in the mix during the songs that may be slightly different and the fades sometimes being a bit different. I find these differences fun to hear and actually would have even loved alternate versions with alternate takes at that point. But, for me, the real attraction of the remixes is the surround sound part. For stereo, apart from a few cases like I mentioned above, I prefer the original stereo mixes and masters even with their "flaws". It's just what we're used to. In my opinion those albums never should have been replaced with the new mixes. It just should have been in the box sets as its own thing. Then there would be less for people to complain about. Although it is a lot of work to do JUST for the box sets so I can see why they made more out of it. Tricky. (of the Taily).

Banned
    "I was there and I saw what he did. Saw it with my own two eyes" haha. I was there the day Nick Davis mixed "Mama" and he let me hear the final masters of a bunch of tunes at The Farm before the box sets came out. I know what he used for compression and it was pretty normal. SSL dynamics, 1176 and for the surround channels he used an Avalon lightly.

For me personally. the surround mixes are all epic. The stereo mixes sound great and in some cases like on Wind & Wuthering and Seconds Out there were improvements made in the dynamics and balls of the tracks compared to the original. "Squonk" live on Seconds Out used to be quite weak compared to Squonk on Trick of the Tail which was always quite ballsy. But, sometimes the compression in the stereo mixes, which isn't necessarily heavy but it is different than the originals mixed by people like David Hentschel, Hugh Padgham, Johnny Burns... the more noticeable differences are certain parts in the mix during the songs that may be slightly different and the fades sometimes being a bit different. I find these differences fun to hear and actually would have even loved alternate versions with alternate takes at that point. But, for me, the real attraction of the remixes is the surround sound part. For stereo, apart from a few cases like I mentioned above, I prefer the original stereo mixes and masters even with their "flaws". It's just what we're used to. In my opinion those albums never should have been replaced with the new mixes. It just should have been in the box sets as its own thing. Then there would be less for people to complain about. Although it is a lot of work to do JUST for the box sets so I can see why they made more out of it. Tricky. (of the Taily).
    Thanks again! The biggest sonic treat for me was the surround mixes of Trespass, Nursery Crime, and Foxtrot. Even though more recent CD versions of the original mixes were great compared to the vinyl I had, there is no comparison in my ears to the SACD versions of those three 5.1 mixes. Although the compression on the stereo remixes is acceptable, the surround mixes with elements separated into 5 channels just sound more precise on my system. I agree with the original mixes for Trick of the Tail, especially the Mobile Fidelity vinyl or CDs. However, the remix of Wind and Wuthering is very worthwhile.

Are any of those devices you mentioned for compression digital? And are you certain that the mastering process didn’t introduce additional artifacts?

If I was Genesis, I would re-release the remixes and originals on Blu-ray in the manner that Steven Wilson did. Full res 5.1, Full res Stereo, Full res original master, and Full res needle drop on virgin UK vinyl (or better).

Thanks again! The biggest sonic treat for me was the surround mixes of Trespass, Nursery Crime, and Foxtrot. Even though more recent CD versions of the original mixes were great compared to the vinyl I had, there is no comparison in my ears to the SACD versions of those three 5.1 mixes. Although the compression on the stereo remixes is acceptable, the surround mixes with elements separated into 5 channels just sound more precise on my system. I agree with the original mixes for Trick of the Tail, especially the Mobile Fidelity vinyl or CDs. However, the remix of Wind and Wuthering is very worthwhile.

Are any of those devices you mentioned for compression digital? And are you certain that the mastering process didn’t introduce additional artifacts?

If I was Genesis, I would re-release the remixes and originals on Blu-ray in the manner that Steven Wilson did. Full res 5.1, Full res Stereo, Full res original master, and Full res needle drop on virgin UK vinyl (or better).
    That's what I would do too if it were me. Release both the original and new mixes. But they've said they don't want to over do it on the alternate new versions and box sets so it doesn't look like they're just trying to milk it. Some fans mind and others welcome everything they do. It makes sense to me to do that.

No I'm not certain what happened in the mastering process as I wasn't there to see that. This is Tony Cousins I believe who did the mastering which is another step AFTER the mixes. I was talking about the mixing process itself which Nick Davis did. The only difference in the mix is the temptation to use in line compression on the SSL on individual tracks when that wasn't as realistic to do quite as much in the 70s. It was rare that consoles even had on board compression. Although the Helios console actually had a great compressor (just unlikely there was one for every channel when they recorded on that). Anyway, tech talk aside, I can't say what the settings were or how much of this and that they did in the mix session and especially not the mastering session. I generally prefer the original stereo mixes mainly because that's what I'm used to. But, my interests from the new mixes is the surround material and I thought that came out great. In other words, it's the only thing I listen to from the box sets, the 5.1's. Not that often, mind you, but when I have it set up (especially in my studio) I crank it and it's glorious!

By the way, side note here, I'm announcing my new progressive rock band today.
    Last edited by Squids; 03-18-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Yeah, get on with it because my imagination is starting to go wild!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Yeah, get on with it because my imagination is starting to go wild!
    What? The band announcement? It's pretty darn cool! Really excited about it! It's sort of like a dream line up really. Pulling out all the stops!

Jon Neudorf
    Here is my review of Static:

Dave Kerzner co-founded the progressive rock band Sound Of Contact in 2009. The quartet, which also included Simon Collins released their debut album Dimensionaut in 2013, and what a great album it is. Since then the band disbanded (although there has been talk of the band getting back together) and Kerzner has been developing his solo career first with the release of New World in 2014 and the subsequent follow up Static in late 2017, the subject of this review. On the album Kerzner (lead and backing vocals, keyboards) has brought together an excellent supporting cast including:

Fernando Perdomo (guitar, bass, drums)
    Randy McStine (guitar and special effects)
    Derek Cintron (drums)
    Durga McBroom (backing vocals)
    Lorelei McBroom (backing vocals)

Other guests include Colin Edwin (bass), Nick Mason (drums), Matt Dorsey (bass), Chris Johnson (guitar), Stuart Fletcher (bass), Alex Cromarty (drums), Ruti Celli (cello), Nick D’Virgilio (drums), Steve Hackett (guitar) and Ewa Karolina Lewowska (backing vocals).

On the album Kerzner explores classic rock, psychedelic and of course progressive rock sounds. His keyboard playing displays a diversity of sounds but it is also his vocals that stand out. Mostly he takes on a Floydy style, somewhere between David Gilmour and Roger Waters and it is very effective, traversing a dreamy floating style to a more intense angry tone, ala Waters. After a short intro the album begins in earnest with the heavy hitting “Hypocrites” where the singing style has a biting tone to match the edgy lyrics. An excellent repeating guitar riff reeled me in and once you’re there you will hear all sorts of proggy goodness including an excellent keyboard solo from Kerzner and Perdomo’s outstanding guitar exploits. Next is the psychedelic sounding title track with its pretty keyboard and vocal melodies. This song just floats along on those awesome keyboards and psychedelic edged guitar work. The keyboard strings add a certain amount of lushness and if you are not careful it’s 1972 all over again. And that’s fine by me. The backing vocals of the McBroom sisters are just so good I wished they performed on more than three tracks. “Reckless” is another rocking track with an addictive acoustic guitar riff and a background filled with progressive delights. The rock continues with “Chain Reaction”, an upbeat tune with a nice groove and excellent lead vocals from Kerzner. Kerzner’s melodic sensibility really shines through on this one and the guitar from Perdomo and Chris Johnson also deserves to be mentioned. One of the most beautiful tracks has to be “Trust” with Kerzner channeling his love of The Beatles with perhaps a dash of Porcupine Tree. This one invokes a psychedelic dream world that I really didn’t want to end. The short “Quiet Storm” is a trippy little tune leading directly into the edgy “Dirty Soap Box” which flat out rocks, punctuated with an excellent guitar riff and Kerzner’s slightly venomous lyrics. For more Floydy moments of bliss check out “The Truth Behind”, a dichotomy of heavy and lighter sounds. “The Carnival of Modern Life” ends the disc in epic fashion with its twisty turning roads, trippy effects and a varied guitar approach.

Sure, Static may not be the most original album of 2017 but when I play music I am not always looking for completely original sounds. This thing resonated with me from the very beginning as the hooks and overall playing are excellent. Just a great disc!

*Originally reviewed for www.seaoftranquility.org*
    Last edited by jlneudorf; 06-12-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Sammy Hagar? Haha! That's a first. I also can't drive 55 but other than that this is all I thought we had in common. Maybe I should start a multi-million dollar tequila company!
    There's a winning idea

Nicely done, man. Bravo. Thanks for sharing this, Dave!

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Dave just posted this promo video for 3 gigs in the UK. Looks like it will be a fantastic concert, as well as David Bainbridge and Peter Jones on the bill.
    The more I listen to Static, the more I put it up there with his first cd New World, but happy he diversified the sound enough to not make it sound like New World II.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457