Thread: Abacab - The Music Of Genesis...Worth checking out?

Abacab - The Music Of Genesis...Worth checking out?

Anyone ever see them ? I can get free tickets to see these guys here in Charlotte NC , Friday night... I slightly recall them playing locally in Chapel Hill as an unofficial Progday pre show..It's a standing room only venue, and they are the opening act for Chicago - Rewired..??

They were great at Progtoberfest last fall. They performed the entire "Seconds Out" album and completely nailed it. I am not typically huge on tribute bands, but these guys exceeded all expectations. Matthew Hedrick is the drummer. You might know him from ProgDay as he has been a regular off and on for years.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    They were great at Progtoberfest last fall. They performed the entire "Seconds Out" album and completely nailed it. I am not typically huge on tribute bands, but these guys exceeded all expectations. Matthew Hedrick is the drummer. You might know him from ProgDay as he has been a regular off and on for years.
    I thought they were excellent at the Progday preshow. They made the later stuff much more effective than on album, like seeing Genesis in a small club. Peter Renfro live-streamed some of the recent Durham show on FB if you can find that.

Thanks..will post a review ...

If tickets are free, whaddya got to lose?

H'mmm. A Genesis tribband that calls itself "Abacab" does not sound promising to me, but I'm notoriously impatient with their music from Duke on...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Yes, go see them. They got game.

And really, it's amazing there is even a Genesis tribute located in the Carolinas.

A rare treat.

Great show by Abacab band...Venue not the best(The Underground at the Fillmore, standing room only), the crowd, horrendous..Here's the set list....

https://www.facebook.com/AbacabTMOG/...516028/?type=3

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Great show by Abacab band...Venue not the best(The Underground at the Fillmore, standing room only), the crowd, horrendous..Here's the set list....

https://www.facebook.com/AbacabTMOG/...516028/?type=3
    Nothing screams "Genesis" like the song "Easy Lover".
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Nothing screams "Genesis" like the song "Easy Lover".
    It was actually pretty good!! I've always been a fan of that song..

So they do Phil solo tunes, not strictly Genesis only?
    I saw them listed on that Progtoberfest billing and thought it was odd that a band called Abacab would be doing the whole Seconds Out album. That would be worth seeing.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    That track listing does sport a high WAF, but a Genesis tribute band that seems to specifically cover the latter period but throws in a Gabriel solo tune? What, no Mike & the Mechanics? Well, you can't beat "free".

The show Beano attended was a shortened set and they concentrated on more of the '80s material since it was a night of '80s cover bands. Still - they pulled out Paperlate (with the Chicago Rewired horns).

The week before their show included Eleventh Earl of Mar, Cinema Show, Dance on a Volcano, Firth of Fifth, etc.

They are currently working on a 50th anniversary show which will feature at least one song from each of the studio albums.

Peter

They really should call themselves Trick of the Abacab or Wuthering Touch or something like that if they are a "both eras" band.

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post

They are currently working on a 50th anniversary show which will feature at least one song from each of the studio albums.

Peter
    They were just announced for Progtoberfest again. Looks like it will be the 50th anniversary show that you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post

Peter
    Darn. Was hoping for the complete From Genesis to Revelation album.....

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    They really should call themselves Trick of the Abacab or Wuthering Touch or something like that if they are a "both eras" band.
    Wuthering Touch has a nice ring to it. There used to be a band that played around here called Over The Garden Wall, who played all eras including Phil & Peter solo. I thought that was a decent name, not just a lyric from IKWIL but with Garden Wall being the name of one of the early bands that became Genesis.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***