Thread: New from Jennifer Warnes

New from Jennifer Warnes

Anyone a fan of long-time Leonard Cohen-cohort Jennifer Warnes? She has a new album dropping at the end of April (her first album in 17 years!). First single is a remake of Pearl Jam's "Just Breathe" - I think this is gorgeous. Love the french horn in this.

The blurb from the record label:

One of the most-loved singers of our time has returned with a modern-day masterpiece. Jennifer Warnes is back with a brand-new album called Another Time, Another Place, on BMG. The new album reunites Warnes with her co-producer and great friend and collaborator Roscoe Beck, the long-time musical director and bass player for Leonard Cohen. It's the same partnership that made the landmark 1987 album Famous Blue Raincoat. With glorious production and performances, and of course, impeccable vocals, Another Time, Another Place features the cream of the crop of songwriters including Eddie Vedder (‘Just Breathe’), Mark Knopfler (‘Why Worry’), John Legend, Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks and more. Joining Warnes are brilliant musicians and friends such as Blondie Chaplin (The Beach Boys), Dean Parks (Steely Dan, Bob Dylan), pedal steel king Greg Liesz (k.d. lang, Eric Clapton), percussionist Lenny Castro (Steely Dan, Toto), and drummer Vinnie Colaiuta (Frank Zappa, Sting). Jennifer Warnes has always been known as someone who makes beautifully crafted records with an open heart, unafraid to show emotion and love through her work. It's the perfect time for Another Time, Another Place.
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 03-12-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Excuse me while I barf. Sorry, no offense, but both Lift Us Where We Belong and Time Of My Life are among the Geneva Convention violations inflicted on me at work.

But mentioning Roscoe Beck reminds she also sang back up vocals on a couple songs on Eric Johnson's Tones album (which Roscoe played bass on, btw).

The Famous Blue Raincoat, First We Take Manhattan with SRV. I like that.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Excuse me while I barf. Sorry, no offense, but both Lift Us Where We Belong and Time Of My Life are among the Geneva Convention violations inflicted on me at work.
    Two songs I need never hear again

Remember her from the Smothers Brothers show back in the '60s, when she was simply billed as Jennifer.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

But mentioning Roscoe Beck reminds she also sang back up vocals on a couple songs on Eric Johnson's Tones album (which Roscoe played bass on, btw).
    "Right Time of the Night" and "I Know a Heartache When I see One" are nice though.
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 03-13-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: I thought "I Had The Time of My Life" was a jingle for a Coca Cola ad
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Famous Blue Raincoat a fantastic album. Impeccably recorded too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

I remember trying to like her in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I remember trying to like her in the 90s.
    Did you succeed?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Did you succeed?
    No. She did a cover of a Todd Rundgren song that was an interesting idea. I’d totally forgotten about her.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No. She did a cover of a Todd Rundgren song that was an interesting idea. I’d totally forgotten about her.
    Well, she was kind of the Adele of the 80s/90s....

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    "Right Time of the Night" and "I Know a Heartache When I see One" are nice though.
    I liked her back in the day, when these tunes were hits. But in general, I think she’s someone who you could include in the “Artists Whose Hit Singles Don’t Even Begin to Tell the Whole Story” thread. As the Famous Blue Raincoat project and subsequent albums prove, she was definitely trying for something more substantial than fleeting pop chart success, so don’t judge her solely from those crass movie themes.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Two songs I need never hear again
    You and me both. But you want to know something weird about Up Where We Belong? One of the three people listed in the byline is Buffy Saint-Marie. Yes, Native American folksinger Buffy Saint-Marie, who appeared on Sesame Street, and also made a weird psychedelic folk record back in the 60's called Illuminations.
    Remember her from the Smothers Brothers show back in the '60s, when she was simply billed as Jennifer.
    She went with the mononym at the time to avoid confusion with actress Jennifer Warren.

She made an LP for Reprise in the early 70's that I might get if I ever run across it, with John Cale producing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You and me both. But you want to know something weird about Up Where We Belong? One of the three people listed in the byline is Buffy Saint-Marie. Yes, Native American folksinger Buffy Saint-Marie, who appeared on Sesame Street, and also made a weird psychedelic folk record back in the 60's called Illuminations.
    She also wrote "Until It's Time For You To Go" that a lot of balladeers like 70's Elvis and Neil Diamond recorded.

That Cale-produced album "Jennifer" does look good judging by the AllMusic Guide's glowing review; lots of interesting covers. I see the only CD version is a Japanese remaster from 2013, which is probably the only way to get it nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post

Wonderful track, but also a great album. I like the different ways the Cohen-songs were arranged (one by Van Dyke Parks).

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Well, she was kind of the Adele of the 80s/90s....
    No, that was Sheryl Crow and/or Joan Osborne. I vaguely recall them.