Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TOP 5 Instrumental Electronic (Keyboard dominated) Prog

I could mention Mehliana - Taming the dragon, but it has spoken word, so not completely instrumental.

Banned
    ^^^

... and Froese's Macula Transfer!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    JFC. How could I not have heard this 'til now??? It's freaking BRILLIANT!
    He'll sign that download for you. No charge!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    He'll sign that download for you. No charge!
    Can you even dye my eyes to match my gown?

Has anyone ever done an album of Mellotron and nothing but Mellotron???
    Weren't the 2 albums by Celluloid in the very early 80s entirely mellotron or nearly so?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    John Battema's In This Hour is that yes another descent into darkness by that sad bastard. I've played the hell out of this.

https://battema.bandcamp.com/
    It's very good, I'll go with

Tangerine Dream - Ricochet
    Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe
    Klaus Schulze - Mirage
    Radio Massacre International - Emissaries
    ARC - Fracture
    Steve Roach - Empetus
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    ^^^
    I forgot about Equinoxe - it's best moments beat this living shit out of Oxygene's best moments, IMO of course...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Can you even dye my eyes to match my gown?
    Uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^
    I forgot about Equinoxe - it's best moments beat this living shit out of Oxygene's best moments, IMO of course...
    I agree. Oxygene gets all the acclaim but I've always liked Equinoxe more.

Just going to mention one, going way back to nearly the beginning: Switched on Bach, Walter (now Wendy) Carlos. This album changed music forever. Not exactly prog, but to important not to mention in a thread about purely electronic music.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Schicke Führs Fröhling - Symphonic pictures
    oddly enough (and I'm excoriating myself for forgetting them) SFF is *precisely* the Keyboard dominated sound I was thinking of when I started this thread ... as evidenced by my Cybotron pick at No.1
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Cosmic Furnace - Roger Powell (been so long, don't think it has vocals)
    You might be confusing it with Air Pocket, which had three vocal tracks (“Windows,” “Landmark” and “Emergency Splashdown”) that were originally performed live with Utopia*. Cosmic Furnace was an outgrowth of his work as a sales rep for ARP, music made to demonstrate ARP’s product line; the only non-ARP instruments on the album are the Fender-Rhodes, the Hohner Clavinet and the Bösendorfer grand piano. There’s actually more music that Roger recorded during his time with ARP but it was never officially released in its entirety, including at least one vocal track: “On the Glowing Far Horizon.” A shame more of this stuff didn’t surface with Wounded Bird’s reissue of CF (at 36 minutes, it’s a pretty short album).

Has anyone ever done an album of Mellotron and nothing but Mellotron???
    Celluloid: Neptune

*“Windows” had previously been released in a studio version with Utopia on Oops! Wrong Planet
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    You might be confusing it with Air Pocket, which had three vocal tracks (“Windows,” “Landmark” and “Emergency Splashdown”) that were originally performed live with Utopia*. Cosmic Furnace was an outgrowth of his work as a sales rep for ARP, music made to demonstrate ARP’s product line; the only non-ARP instruments on the album are the Fender-Rhodes, the Hohner Clavinet and the Bösendorfer grand piano. There’s actually more music that Roger recorded during his time with ARP but it was never officially released in its entirety, including at least one vocal track: “On the Glowing Far Horizon.” A shame more of this stuff didn’t surface with Wounded Bird’s reissue of CF (at 36 minutes, it’s a pretty short album).
    That's interesting. I remember seeing a picture of Powell playing a Moog modular, with Bob Moog in the background, which always led me to believe he might have actually worked for Moog at some point.

Edit: found it, but can't get it to embed here. It's at this webpage:

http://moogfoundation.org/roger-powe...er-to-the-bmf/

Apparently, Powell did work for Moog, as well. Interesting, kinda like a double agent.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 03-12-2018 at 11:53 PM.

[QUOTE=Lopez;787255]
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's interesting. I remember seeing a picture of Powell playing a Moog modular, with Bob Moog in the background, which always led me to believe he might have actually worked for Moog at some point.
    He definitely had a modular Moog, which he used live with Utopia. That was his main axe on the Another Live tour (his first with them), later supplemented with the ARP Odyssey, RMI Keyboard Computer, Fender Rhodes and Hohner Clavinet. The Big Moog is all over Air Pocket.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

JFC. How could I not have heard this 'til now??? It's freaking BRILLIANT!
    Well, I don't promote much for fear of distracting things away from Yes threads.

But...wow, very cool. Thanks!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    More winners. My fave of the Cinema lot was Michael Hoenig's Xcept One. That one and Miracle Mile are two of my favorite "all digital synths" albums.
    All the Cinema releases were very good. A shame that there were only 4 releases before they went belly up. Of course MM by TD is a fav.

Another group that I like is Software. Maybe a bit more towards the reflective end of the spectrum but if I want to put on my headphones and relax, they fit the bill. I only have 3 releases of theirs, and I heard of them because they were on Klaus Schulze's label. Past Present Future Vol1 and Vol2 are quite good.

Banned
    Since we're expanding the topic a bit - any thoughts on Redshift?

They're a UK group project of Mark Shreeve, they use mainly analog synths and they sound somewhat like classic Tangerine Dream if they had stayed on their 70's Berlin sound path. Excellent stuff.

Since we're expanding the topic a bit - any thoughts on Redshift?

They're a UK group project of Mark Shreeve, they use mainly analog synths and they sound somewhat like classic Tangerine Dream if they had stayed on their 70's Berlin sound path. Excellent stuff.
    I have Ether and like it a lot, I was at a bit of a loss where to go next so look forward to future reco's.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have a few Redshift...the very first one sounds insanely similar to Rubycon, so folks who love that particular TD album might dig this one.

I slightly prefer the Ian Boddy/Robert Rich collabs on DiN, like Outpost.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I do like ARC, Ian Boddy's collaboration with Mark Shreeve of Redshift. I have the last two albums, Fracture & Church, both are excellent.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I do like ARC, Ian Boddy's collaboration with Mark Shreeve of Redshift. I have the last two albums, Fracture & Church, both are excellent.
    I bought ARC's 'Rise' after someone posted a video on PE of them doing a live performance, and it's very good.

Banned
    I have Ether and like it a lot, I was at a bit of a loss where to go next so look forward to future reco's.
    There's always Bandcamp: https://redshift2.bandcamp.com/music

There's always Bandcamp: https://redshift2.bandcamp.com/music
    Yeah but before I set aside a few hours to listen to nothing but Berlin school I thought I'd get a few reco's
    Ian

I like Fracture better than any of the Redshift's. Fracture should be recognized as a proper sequel to Rubycon.

Yeah but before I set aside a few hours to listen to nothing but Berlin school I thought I'd get a few reco's
    Start with the latest one, Life To Come. Very, very good.