Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cruise to the Edge (& the “On The Blue”) Cruises 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Two thumbs way up for adding "No Opportunity" to the set!

Steve clearly loves it any time they add Peter-era material, especially stuff he played when he first joined the band. To my knowledge no recordings exist of Steve playing this back in 1970/71 (he mimed to the studio version on the Belgian TV thing, but that doesn't count)
    Forgotten Yesterdays doesn't record Howe as ever having played the song live before, although it seems plausible he rehearsed it with the band when he joined.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Alan was there. I'm guessing he played on about a 1/3rd of the set, like he has been doing.
    White played on 3 pieces (first night; 2 second night). Schellen played on 7; 2 were without drums. White says he's doing better. He told one fan that he could play a whole set, but not night after night, and he's being careful. The summer tour, another Yestival, will be with Schellen and White again, possibly plus Kaye, but no Moraz.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    The summer tour, another Yestival, will be with Schellen and White again, possibly plus Kaye, but no Moraz.
    Where did you hear this? Although I love seeing Tony, I was really hoping for Moraz/Relayer!

White played on 3 pieces (first night; 2 second night). Schellen played on 7; 2 were without drums. White says he's doing better. He told one fan that he could play a whole set, but not night after night, and he's being careful. The summer tour, another Yestival, will be with Schellen and White again, possibly plus Kaye, but no Moraz.
    Glad he is doing better, but did you feel he looked OK? We had general concern that he looked like he was fading and the drumming seemed pretty lax and light.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Glad he is doing better, but did you feel he looked OK? We had general concern that he looked like he was fading and the drumming seemed pretty lax and light.
    I've only seen cellphone videos, from which it is hard to tell. He said in a recent interview that he's doing better.

Henry

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I heard that due to the fog delay, some Q&A sessions were cancelled. Did anyone here attend any Q&A sessions or know which ones were conducted? I've always enjoyed these when on CTTE, as John Kirkman does a good job.

There is a video on You Tube with many excerpts from the cruise, actually at 8 hours and 45 minutes, more than quite a few. I'm working my way through it now. Kudos to Alex Saade for perseverance and a steady hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I heard that due to the fog delay, some Q&A sessions were cancelled. Did anyone here attend any Q&A sessions or know which ones were conducted? I've always enjoyed these when on CTTE, as John Kirkman does a good job.
    I attended only a few. They tended to conflict with bands that are actually performing. One difference this year is that Kirkman was sharing the hosting jobs with Roie Alvin and Michael Sadler. While Kirkman tended to stick with the big names, it meant that even the "smaller" bands usually got introductions and the Q&A sessions felt less rushed.

Since there were no Q&A sessions scheduled for Monday, it's possible nothing at all was canceled. But, I'm not sure. The biggest impact would have been on Tuesday as they tried to play catchup.

^ So, did Yes do a Q&A then? CTTOI, I think the only bands I've seen do Q&A were Yes, Kansas, and Marillion. They were all excellent.

Did you see Sadler do one, and if so, how'd he do? He did mention on FB that he was drafted into being a "host" at times - I guess this is what he meant, maybe he introduced bands too. It did always seem like Kirkman was probably spread to thin on previous cruises, trying to do all of that.

Howe talked about a Yes Q&A being cancelled, although I saw photos from a Q&A which appeared to be with Howe and Roger Dean.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did you see Sadler do one, and if so, how'd he do? He did mention on FB that he was drafted into being a "host" at times - I guess this is what he meant, maybe he introduced bands too. It did always seem like Kirkman was probably spread to thin on previous cruises, trying to do all of that.
    Yes, I saw Sadler do the District 97 Q&A. He was open that this was new to him. He is used to being on the other side of it. He asked a few basic questions and let the audience do the rest. That's how I prefer it anyway. I don't want to listen to an interview; I want the opportunity to ask something. Sadler is very personable and friendly so the experience was positive for me.

^ Sounds good! But I've said it before, Kirkman is just very good at asking the right questions and getting to the topics people (me, anyway) want to hear about. But I do enjoy the answers to the audience questions too, and that's cool for people to be able to ask them.

Howe talked about a Yes Q&A being cancelled, although I saw photos from a Q&A which appeared to be with Howe and Roger Dean.

Henry
    The Howe/Dean Q&A went on and was enjoyable. They discussed how they worked stuff out for Yes/Asia covers, as well as how they did their own work. They took questions and were both in good spirits.

There is a very nice review of Brand X on the cruise here from John Moonjune, more so about the band itself than the set list or songs. Well written and enjoyable. Unfortunately it is on F.B.

If you wish to binge for 8 hours, here it is:

Last edited by Sean; 02-15-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rminsk View Post
    A good review at Sonic Perspectives
    That is a good review, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by rminsk View Post
    A good review at Sonic Perspectives
    "The World's Best Progressive Rock Festival".

No less.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "The World's Best Progressive Rock Festival".

No less.
    It's the excellent buffet that puts it over the top.