Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jordsjo: Any fans, thoughts etc.....

Jordsjo: Any fans, thoughts etc.....

Was listening to this earlier and was enjoying it. Nice to hear a duo come together like they do. Maybe they have some help I am sure, I believe a bass player, though not certain. A duo is a nice treat when it is good, Min Vitale comes to mind when thinking of a duo. Any thoughts on this, I may be wrong, if so please do correct me about the duo thing. I stumbled upon this just today, so not really sure about them.

Dave

I bought the Jord CD, and it's nice. It hews fairly close to an Anglagard sound though, so not really something I hadn't heard before. File under Pleasant.

They're Ok. I quite like the double vinyl, but the recent one has more elaborate material. If one is looking for this specific style, there's good to be had from them.

Lots of great and sometimes shockingly tight and intricate duos around, Hella, Ruins, XhohX, Zombi, Cheval de Frise, El Sledge, Amygdala, Orthrelm, Ron Anderson's PAK, Erehia (from Mexico), Janel & Anthony and more.

And Jon & Roine above all, of course and obviously.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have all their albums, but don't rate the new one compared to the others... Pretty average IMHO

They're pleasantly ok. I wouldn't be surprised if they give us in the future something more essential. There is definitely potential.

a bit too derivative for my tastes, but OK retro-prog...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I bought the Jord CD, and it's nice. It hews fairly close to an Anglagard sound though, so not really something I hadn't heard before. File under Pleasant.
    Pretty much my reaction too. I've spun it quite a bit, and it definitely grew on me. It's not an earth shaker, but I agree with you, quite pleasant with some nice parts. I think the vocals are the weak spot, and I still struggle with them a bit. But overall an OK album, and I agree there sounds like there is potential to do more, so I'll keep an eye out for future releases.

Bill

Thanks for the input everyone. It seems that we are all in agreement here with them. A nice listen but nothing earth shaking IMO. Agreed there is certainly potential and room to grow. Let us see what the future will bring!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I feel like the low-effort/skill vocals are de rigeur for this style of Prog, so they don’t really give me a problem. I think if they were too skilled THAT would be a problem. BUT, no vocals would probably be even better.

I like this album quite a bit. It does the Anglagard/retro thing well, and most importantly, the song-writing is solid.

neil

there is a depth of nuance here that is missed if you listen distracted. I turned off the lights and immersed in it and it was extremely enjoyable.

As a Norwegian I'm pleased to say that I enjoy Jordsjø alot. I have bought all the tapes and now also the vinyl albums. Looking forward to hearing more from them!

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Very pleasant listen.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I guess I'm in the minority here but I think they are one of the brightest lights in the Prog firmament.

I have everything they've done (so far) and am obsessed.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority here but I think they are one of the brightest lights in the Prog firmament.

I hadn't honestly heard of them before Jord. Can you give me a sense of how Jord compares to their previous albums? Are any of those earlier albums on CD?

Bill

Malady is better. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Malady is better. IMHO.
    I just got my hands on Toinen Toista. WOW!!! What a terrific band!!! Now I need the first Malady.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I hadn't honestly heard of them before Jord. Can you give me a sense of how Jord compares to their previous albums? Are any of those earlier albums on CD?

Bill
    Jord feels more like a complete statement from the band. The rough edges are sanded down a little but that's what makes the early stuff so much fun!

Those early recordings are available on a double LP (which also includes their split cassette with Breidablik) but sadly not on CD. Yet.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Malady is better. IMHO.
    Yes.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

If you love dark, Nordic mellotron laced symphonic prog, then this is right up your alley. As others have said, not earth shaking, but pleasant none the less.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Hey, all I see on their bandcamp page for previous releases are Jordsjo (2015) and Jordsjo II (2016). Are these the Malady and Toinen Toista, that you are talking about?

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Hey, all I see on their bandcamp page for previous releases are Jordsjo (2015) and Jordsjo II (2016). Are these the Malady and Toinen Toista, that you are talking about?

neil
    Sorry for the confusion. Malady is a Finnish band of the same style that has released Toinen Toista recently.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post

neil
    If you like Jordsjo, Tusmorke or Wobbler then Malady just might be your thing!!! (It's definitely mine.)
    The Prog Corner

Both Malady albums are very good. The completely capture that uniquely Finnish melancholy so tightly associated with the ol' Love records label and acts like Tabula Rasa, Fantasia, Nimbus, Nova etc.

Speaking of that, I wonder whatever happened to Viima? Two very fine releases from them as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

If you like Jordsjo, Tusmorke or Wobbler then Malady just might be your thing!!! (It's definitely mine.)
    I personally like Wobbler a bit better, but I like Jordsjo better than either Malady or Tuskmorke. They share some similar elements, but I think Wobbler and Jordsjo are more overtly "Proggy" while the other two are more "Proto Prog" or retro rock with some Proggy elements. It's a matter of taste what one might like, but I'm not sure it's a slam dunk that fans who like the sort of "Anglagard-Lyte" sound of Jordsjo will like the Malady or Tuskmorke. Worth a sample though, if that kind of stuff is your thing.

Bill