Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has Mr. Hackett settled into a 'routine'

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think it's impressive Howe Steve has carried on, though.
    Yeah, it's ProgYessive. But we all knew that.

Well, with regard to the OP question: Yes, I believe that Steve has settled into a routine of sorts. Of his studio albums, I don't think I have anything newer than Cured (which isn't actually as bad as I'd been led to believe). Heard bits of his newer stuff, and it just didn't do a whole lot for me. However, I enjoyed quite a bit of the Squackett album.

Although, I do have Genesis Revisited II (on white vinyl, no less!), which I really enjoyed. Maybe I should scoop up some of his recent recordings. Perhaps To Watch The Storms?

That being said, I will always love Steve for the beautiful music he made with Genesis and beyond, and for being the stand-up gent he is. I saw him in concert in 2014 on one of his "Genesis Revisited" tours, and it was absolutely wonderful. I'm so grateful to have been able to go see him with a band firing on all cylinders -- they put on perhaps the best rendition of "Squonk" I've ever heard by anyone.

as long as he beggs nick to come on tour with him … (more groansome puns including a reiteration of “hackett to bits” on request).

i am not a fan of his solo stuff by any means but he has settled into a routine of being successful, productive, economic, adventuresome, visible and acknowledged. good enough for me.

oh, and nad sylvan turns the “genesis revisited” sets into a bit of a parody. my opinion.
    Last edited by iguana; 03-11-2018 at 06:31 AM. Reason: typos

I think it's impressive Howe Steve has carried on, though.
    It's because Nick Beggs him to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks "Wolflight" is a brilliant album?
    I'm with you. I think it is a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    oh, and nad sylvan turns the “genesis revisited” sets into a bit of a parody. my opinion.
    Have to disagree with you there. Mr. Sylvan has an obvious affection for the material, and his on-stage theatrics are very much in the spirit of Peter Gabriel back in his early days. I think Nad Sylvan is able to do justice to it because he commits to the over-the-topness of it all. Plus, he nails the vocals.

IMO of course.

I agree there is a sameyness to the last few albums but Out of the Tunnel's Mouth is probably my favourite of his since the first few solo albums. The songs, playing and production all work together for me.

Except for Still Waters - I've never found his tries at playing blues very convincing and this one is no different.

Other than that it's a great record.

Off topic, but did anyone watch the Vietnam war series by Ken Burns. They play something from the Lamb on one of the episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    And Sylvan left him with his nads.
    I scared my wife with a loud laugh on this one.

Honestly, just turning down the reverb in the mix would go a long way toward making the recent albums sound less same-y, and this includes the Squackett album.

There's not really any commercial pressure on Steve when it comes to the new material, so clearly he's doing what he wants to, which is all you can really ask of any artist.

If hearing tunes like Everyday, The Steppes, Shadow of the Hierophant, Spectral Mornings, Star of Sirius and Genesis classics like Eleventh Earl of Mar, One for the Vine, Blood on the Rooftops, Dance on a Volcano, Unquiet Slumbers/Quiet Earth/Afterglow, Inside and Out, Moonlit Knight, Musical Box, Los Endos, Get Em Out By Friday, Can Utility and the Coastliners, Cinema Show, Firth of Fifth, Fly on a Windshield, Lamia, Fountain of Salmacis, Supper's Ready etc performed by one of the signature classic era members of the greatest prog band of all time, and one of the greatest guitarists of the last 50 years, is now considered "routine", sign me up for more humdrum same ol same ol. My god, we prog fans can certainly be spoiled little petulant bastards sometimes. The man is almost 70 years old and he's letting us hear these prog classics and gems LIVE, performed by a signature member of the classic Genesis band. In a few years, all you will have left is tribute acts playing this stuff. I really don't care if he never composes another note of new music, if he continues playing Genesis classics and his own classics live, I will be there. And he's STILL coming out with new prog albums every few years, and NOT just resting on his laurels. And we still complain about "routine"? Gabriel is not doing Genesis tunes, and never will. The 3 man era did the Reunion in 2007 and that is probably it. Hackett is the only one proudly flying the Genesis prog mantle and doing it on a high level with no signs of slowing down. Lets embrace it while we have it. Many of you who have skipped this whole Genesis Revisited era, if you truly are Genesis fans (which I would question), will regret it in a few years when it is no more.

STEVE, we want MORE ROUTINE!!!!
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-11-2018 at 04:54 PM.

I wish more musicians would get in a routine like Steve Hackett. A new album every 2-3 years, not once in a blue moon. Consistently great tours at the same frequency. Guesting on a lot of other prog artists' albums including some young bands. Steve is an inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Have to disagree with you there. Mr. Sylvan has an obvious affection for the material, and his on-stage theatrics are very much in the spirit of Peter Gabriel back in his early days. I think Nad Sylvan is able to do justice to it because he commits to the over-the-topness of it all. Plus, he nails the vocals.

IMO of course.
    Nad can pull off the Gabriel era material ok, but is less successful at the Collins era tunes. Its still fine, but frankly, I would love Ray Wilson to do one of these Genesis Revisited shows with Hackett. He can handle both eras, and I think would be great at it. Nad also kind of creeps me out a bit.....

Well ONE routine he (or his management) definitely needs to get away from is his NA tour dates(cities). Sorry but it's always the same 'ol, same 'ol, northeast US, maybe Chicago &/or Milwaukee, a few scattered west coast & some Canada. Oh, and every once in a while Atl. This last US tour had NY, NJ, CA & a token Phoenix gig. C'mon man! DALLAS at least!!!! Crimson, Marillion, Utopia, Heep, etc. all came (or coming) thru town & people are filling the seats. Guarantee Hackett would fill 'em up at any one of the numerous venues available.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Nad can pull off the Gabriel era material ok, but is less successful at the Collins era tunes. Its still fine, but frankly, I would love Ray Wilson to do one of these Genesis Revisited shows with Hackett. He can handle both eras, and I think would be great at it. Nad also kind of creeps me out a bit.....
    I'm surprised he doesn't do the Collins era better since his voice has the same nasal qualities as Phil. As for creeping you out -- he does have a certain sinister look about him.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Well ONE routine he (or his management) definitely needs to get away from is his NA tour dates(cities). Sorry but it's always the same 'ol, same 'ol, northeast US, maybe Chicago &/or Milwaukee, a few scattered west coast & some Canada. Oh, and every once in a while Atl. This last US tour had NY, NJ, CA & a token Phoenix gig. C'mon man! DALLAS at least!!!! Crimson, Marillion, Utopia, Heep, etc. all came (or coming) thru town & people are filling the seats. Guarantee Hackett would fill 'em up at any one of the numerous venues available.
    He played my area (Grand Rapids MI) for the first time ever last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I'm surprised he doesn't do the Collins era better since his voice has the same nasal qualities as Phil. As for creeping you out -- he does have a certain sinister look about him.
    Hmm, I wouldn't define Collins voice circa 76-77 (Trick/Wind) as nasal at all; it was a very rich full voice. Gabriel had more of that nasal tone due to his more limited range, imo.

Re Hackett's touring, I was very surprised he basically skipped the entire Midwest this last tour--didn't even hit Chicago. So this is the first Genesis Rev tour he's done that I missed.

I too love Steve, as an excellent guitarist, but mostly that he has kept the prog-mantle of Genesis alive. Bless him for that. And his formula for his tours IMO works well for him. I think that doing the old Genesis songs have been quite lucrative for him. Good for him, he deserves it. No one I know has tired of the old, classic prog-Genesis that I know of.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    If hearing tunes like Everyday, The Steppes, Shadow of the Hierophant, Spectral Mornings, Star of Sirius and Genesis classics like Eleventh Earl of Mar, One for the Vine, Blood on the Rooftops, Dance on a Volcano, Unquiet Slumbers/Quiet Earth/Afterglow, Inside and Out, Moonlit Knight, Musical Box, Los Endos, Get Em Out By Friday, Can Utility and the Coastliners, Cinema Show, Firth of Fifth, Fly on a Windshield, Lamia, Fountain of Salmacis, Supper's Ready etc performed by one of the signature classic era members of the greatest prog band of all time, and one of the greatest guitarists of the last 50 years, is now considered "routine", sign me up for more humdrum same ol same ol. My god, we prog fans can certainly be spoiled little petulant bastards sometimes. The man is almost 70 years old and he's letting us hear these prog classics and gems LIVE, performed by a signature member of the classic Genesis band. In a few years, all you will have left is tribute acts playing this stuff. I really don't care if he never composes another note of new music, if he continues playing Genesis classics and his own classics live, I will be there. And he's STILL coming out with new prog albums every few years, and NOT just resting on his laurels. And we still complain about "routine"? Gabriel is not doing Genesis tunes, and never will. The 3 man era did the Reunion in 2007 and that is probably it. Hackett is the only one proudly flying the Genesis prog mantle and doing it on a high level with no signs of slowing down. Lets embrace it while we have it. Many of you who have skipped this whole Genesis Revisited era, if you truly are Genesis fans (which I would question), will regret it in a few years when it is no more.

STEVE, we want MORE ROUTINE!!!!
    I've seen him live many times, and the show he puts on is phenomenal.

I don't see this thread complaining or bitching. I'm glad he's having success at this stage in his career.

I'm a huge fan, and have every studio album he's ever released except Blues with a Feeling and his latest The Night Siren. I agree with the post that his material lately kind of blends together. I have not really heard much that stands out or is memorable from his last few releases. I would love to hear him offer some variation to the plodding drums, over processed vocals and reverb drenched sound.

I will never miss him live, but as far as buying his new material, it's not doing much for me.

What I like about Squackett is that it's different. The collaboration pushed (or pulled?) both principals to do something a bit outside their usual styles. Sadly, of course, we are now without Squire. But I'd like to see Hackett do another equal collaboration. (There were vague rumours of a GTR reunion...)

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    (There were vague rumours of a GTR reunion...)

Henry
    I wondered if Hackett wasn't testing the waters for this with his "When the Heart Rules the Mind" revival.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yes, I think there's more or less a consensus here that the sameness is more in the studio work than the touring. Clearly demand is still there which is great. I'm glad someone from the original band who made it is keeping all that great 70s music in the public eye- Genesis don't even have a website!
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-26-2018 at 05:19 PM.

I wondered if Hackett wasn't testing the waters for this with his "When the Heart Rules the Mind" revival.
    vell, he and howe vere sitting in ze same boat recently, as vee say in tchermany. so conwenient for testing ze vater! vater? *confused now*

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes, I think there's more or less a consensus here that the sameness is more in the studio work than the touring. Clearly demand is still there which is great. I'm glad someone from the original band who made it is keeping all that great 70s music in the public eye- Genesis don't even have a website!
    Honestly, I think there's more sameness in the stage show -- he's out to please the old-school prog fans. He puts a few songs from his latest album each time out, but the main body of Hackett classics stay pretty much the same, and then there's the mandatory Genesis segment. If he were to do a show mostly consisting of his 2000s studio albums, that would be different.

I think he's doing new music that honors the spirit of the old music, while continuing to move in his own direction. That direction may not change much, but he's been moving forward in it for quite a while.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Roger King has served him well for a long time, but it is past time he works with other people.

I’ve grown weary of his band too. His drummer is good I suppose, but I just never liked his style and sound.

And the sax player, don’t get me started. I hate when he plays over Steve’s guitar lines. I’m there to hear Steve Hackett play signature Steve Hackett lines, not some nobody squawking on an alto sax.