Thread: Prog Djent - classic or metal or both - radio show with Vola interview and music

Prog Djent - classic or metal or both - radio show with Vola interview and music

I've been a progger since 1972 (ie. classic progressive rock). I have a question to ask of those with a different perspective, proggers who listen more to prog metal. I am now discovering bands with a djent sound which I'm finding sounds more like the logical? extension of classic prog rock as opposed to simply being an extension of prog metal with a twist (the djent style guitar).

I'm wondering what other prog rock fans think about this new djent sounding style. Is it another step in the evolution of classic prog rock, or a sidebar to the already established prog metal?

One of the bands that caught my attention and I think has all the attributes of classic prog rock mixed with an aggressive djent sound is Vola from Copenhagen. I have an on air progressive rock radio show and I recently contacted the band to get their perspective. I did an interview with Asger Mygind, leader of Vola, and played their music along with other bands in the same vein as well (such as Skyharbour and The Contortionist and more).
    You can hear this show podcast on mixcloud.com with this link:

https://www.mixcloud.com/magmashark/

I love, love Vola.

I don't view music as a tree where each branch is connected to only one other branch. To me, progressive djent does have obvious influences from metal, but also pulls from other genres. The musicians themselves don't only listen to one type of music; like us, they can like many different flavors and are influenced by all of them.