Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dixie Dregs 2018 Tour Spoilers

Dixie Dregs 2018 Tour Spoilers

I decided to avoid putting these in the the main thread so if you wanted to be surprised you could be.

This is some of the best footage I've run across so far.

Mark O'Connor dug out his original hat he wore from his days as a Dreg and sat in at the Charleston gig - first time in 35 years since he has played with them:

Holy shit!

I'm not watching them all.

I want the element of surprise for next Monday.

I will say that all that Dregs material is some of the hardest guitar music ever!!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I will be curious how you think Steve's playing is holding up all these years later. I know he's had some issues with his picking hand, but it sounded to me like all the right parts were in all the right places when I saw the show the other night. I saw a few YouTube comments saying "It's heartbreaking to watch Steve and see he can't play some of the most intricate parts anymore" though. What do you make of that?

I'll get back...

I can't believe how many clips are up on Youtube!

Yeah, looks like they put the whole show up. I asked a friend that knows Steve about his recent issues too and he said-

"No he's just using less wrist on the faster passages. He's adapting to a new technique. His playing is still ridiculous. Last show we did together he told me he was having lots of pain and started to do more of a traditional arm/wrist thing now. He's still using his wrist on inside picking changes but the NEW technique for the blurs."

After his short stint with the guitar trio ( Paco, Al & John), he was seriously considering changing his picking style.

Maybe he should have!?

Oh dear. I hope its just the YouTube sound/mix but some of these tunes don't sound right at all

It's so close to the stage you hear more guitar than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I will be curious how you think Steve's playing is holding up all these years later. I know he's had some issues with his picking hand, but it sounded to me like all the right parts were in all the right places when I saw the show the other night. I saw a few YouTube comments saying "It's heartbreaking to watch Steve and see he can't play some of the most intricate parts anymore" though. What do you make of that?
    I saw them in Charleston last night and he seemed to be playing everything at a pretty good clip (maybe not as fast as 20 years ago) and his tone was amazing. The show was really good overall.

Mark O'Connor playing "the Bash" was the highlight and it brought the house down.

The mix was a bit off, as the keyboards were almost inaudible at points. This was probably a good thing, as it seemed to me that Davidowski was having a hard time keeping up and his solos weren't very good (they lacked the fluidity of the others). The keyboard solo in "the Bash" video posted earlier was completely cut out.

Andy and his beard look properly psychedelic!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Really enjoyed the show at Carolina Theatre in Durham, NC last night. I have all of their albums, but I'm not an expert on their music, so I wasn't able to detect if parts were slightly different, but they all sounded fantastic to me. The sound mix was very good where I sat. The keys were a tad low at times, but I could hear them ok during solos. Tickets were $75 each (that was highest priced tier) but it was well worth it to me. I'd highly recommend seeing them if you like their music.

Great show in DC last night. Allen Sloan was 'en fuego', they all were. Although the keys were the weakest.
    The overall house sound at the Lincoln was a bit hollow. Like the stage amps/speakers were providing most of the sound and the house was mixed back. It got better as the night went on.
    Thoroughly enjoyable.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Steve's classical guitar got ripped off in DC last night. Hopefully it'll get recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Great show in DC last night. Allen Sloan was 'en fuego', they all were. Although the keys were the weakest.
    The overall house sound at the Lincoln was a bit hollow. Like the stage amps/speakers were providing most of the sound and the house was mixed back. It got better as the night went on.
    Thoroughly enjoyable.
    After getting bass slammed by Eric Johnson at the Filmore in Silver Spring, I thought the Dregs Sound was refreshing. I wonder if people doing sound are deaf. Dregs at Lincoln was the best sound I’ve heard in a while, proper amount of output although loud for me, my musicians earplugs keep it flat.

PS, the fact that the PA was turn back is good because more of the natural acoustics of the venue came thru with the amps.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    "It's heartbreaking to watch Steve and see he can't play some of the most intricate parts anymore" though. What do you make of that?
    Not much, on the basis of last night in Collingswood. I noticed he had some kind brace on his right wrist and used his forearm more than in the past, but the actual guitar parts didn't suffer. He wailed plenty fine in the shred spots ("The Bash" or "Country House Shuffle").

A couple tunes did get played a bit slower than they sometimes have. "Holiday," for instance, had a nice tempo somewhere between the fantastic Bring Em Back Alive rendition and its too-slow pace on Freefall. Still, it was a nice zone where nothing felt sluggish.

The sound was way too loud, but then I expect that at almost every show anywhere. With good plugs and a seat pretty close to the board, it was a pretty good mix to my ears. Steve M and Allen only had some occasional high distortion and the punch at the low end was fine.

Just got back from The Dregs show at the Capital Theater in Port Chester NY.

Very impressive reunion indeed!

I am very familiar with all the material played, and was thrilled to hear it live for the first time in 35 years!

Tempos definitely got slower , which benefited most of the tunes, although Cruise Control could have been brighter.

The second set sounded more settled, with highlights being The Bash, Day 444 and Leprechaun Promenade.

But really every tune was a treat.

Sound was clear and powerful and not too loud. I had a general admission ticket which allowed me to stand about 40 feet in front of the stage.

Andy's basses sounded great, Allen Sloan got better imo, Rod was 90% there and the keyboardist did OK on the piano parts but really should have had a Hammond and Moog as part of his setup.

Steve was grimacing through much of the show but still slayed everyone!

He's picking with more forearm than wrist, which seemed to affect the dynamics and attack of the notes more than anything.

Steve is Iron Man, extremely fit for 63 years old!

Warren Haynes and John Scofield came out for an encore of the Allman Brothers One Way Out.
    Great fun!
    Last edited by nosebone; 03-13-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Just got back from The Dregs show at the Capital Theater in Port Chester NY.

Very impressive reunion indeed!

I am very familiar with all the material played, and was thrilled to hear it live for the first time in 35 years!

Tempos definitely got slower , which benefited most of the tunes, although Cruise Control could have been brighter.

The second set sounded more settled, with highlights being The Bash, Day 444 and Leprechaun Promenade.

But really every tune was a treat.

Sound was clear and powerful and not too loud. I had a general admission ticket which allowed me to stand about 40 feet in front of the stage.

Andy's basses sounded great, Allen Sloan got better imo, Rod was 90% there and the keyboardist did OK on the piano parts but really should have had a Hammond and Moog as part of his setup.

Steve was grimacing through much of the show but still slayed everyone!

He's picking with more forearm than wrist, which seemed to affect the dynamics and attack of the notes more than anything.

Steve is Iron Man, extremely fit for 63 years old!

Warren Haynes and John Scofield came out for an encore of the Allman Brothers One Way Out.
    Great fun!
    "Crossroads" (Robert Johnson/Clapton/Cream) encore actually. Otherwise nice review. I'll just add that the Cap was empty, 2-300 tops. I practically had the entire 5th row, dead center to myself with no one in front of me for 2 rows. Andy West stated it was like playing in the family room! They were on fire. Steve was fine, shredding fiercely throughout the night. Can't wait till the energy in a packed room in NYC hits them Friday.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

That Steve Morse 2018 isn't quite as fleet-fingered as Steve Morse 1978 is understandable. I mean honestly, could he possibly have gotten any better?
    Prog's Not Dead