Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Cuneiform amazing weekend deals on bandcamp

Done!.
    First time ... love it!

This:
    "Steve Hymer:
    An absolute killer. Quirky alternative Funk. No faves, dig them all."

"Live at the Knitting Factory" shows that the New York-based quintet has turned to recognizable pop styles for inspiration. Blending free improvisation with funk, it attains an enviable equilibrium."
    Last edited by TCC; 04-30-2023 at 03:24 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Here we go Gang ... Done!

" ...they used classical form and influences along with more avant prog influences like Zamla and Univers Zero. Sortie is both their lps (minus one track that wouldn't fit) directly off the masters."

"...one of the hidden gems of American progressive rock." -- Agree 1000%
    – Laser's Edge

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

online from time to time Czyszy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post

Here we go Gang ... Done!

" ...they used classical form and influences along with more avant prog influences like Zamla and Univers Zero. Sortie is both their lps (minus one track that wouldn't fit) directly off the masters."

"...one of the hidden gems of American progressive rock." -- Agree 1000%
    – Laser's Edge

Unfortunately the song Trio is still missing.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Never heard of this band Cartoon but I like it a lot. Thanks Steve for bringing it under our attention this way!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Never heard of this band Cartoon but I like it a lot. Thanks Steve for bringing it under our attention this way!
    Same reaction here.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    https://mailchi.mp/cuneiformrecords/...um-is-a-beauty

THIS WEEK'S ALBUM
    Metatron by
    Richard Pinhas

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Same reaction here.
    Shit, Ian - you never heard the Cartoon CD? Granted it's an absolute find of "formally" obscure US underground avant-progressive, there's still enough KC-or Present-meets-Massacre-bywayof-NHealth to hover over for the sake of fixed destination or connection.

Distant relation to Pocket Orchestra, I believe - but little like them. Treasure none the less!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Distant relation to Pocket Orchestra, I believe - but little like them. Treasure none the less!
    Fellow friends and travelers originally from Phoenix, AZ, I believe. That connection (Cartoon) is how I knew that they existed at all, since there was no recorded output at all until the MIO / AltrOck releases.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ What really set them instrumentally apart, I think, was the fearful core presence of an amazing capacity at the piano.

I used to be in a "progressive" band myself wherein our keyboard player focused densely on the potential power of that one tool, meaning both its sonic force and the mastery of adaptive utilities. He'd write things on it, obviously, but the piano was first and foremost disposed as a motor or generator, or as a weapon, even - made all the more intimidating by the fact that he insisted on applying the real thing as opposed to an electronic rendition. And an acoustic piano handled dauntingly well is hard to beat for impressions of might, although it usually signalled a helluva job in actually carrying the damn item around if venues didn't already facilitate it.

Anyway, he paled on hearing the Cartoon, as he didn't figure anyone else had truly explored the more abstract dimensions of fitness in the piano as "rock" implement. He was further worried on hearing the first two Present albums, 'though they'd form a sense of inspiration eventually.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    https://mailchi.mp/cuneiformrecords/...um-is-a-beauty

THIS WEEK'S ALBUM
    Metatron by
    Richard Pinhas
    A winner!

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ What really set them instrumentally apart, I think, was the fearful core presence of an amazing capacity at the piano.

I used to be in a "progressive" band myself wherein our keyboard player focused densely on the potential power of that one tool, meaning both its sonic force and the mastery of adaptive utilities. He'd write things on it, obviously, but the piano was first and foremost disposed as a motor or generator, or as a weapon, even - made all the more intimidating by the fact that he insisted on applying the real thing as opposed to an electronic rendition. And an acoustic piano handled dauntingly well is hard to beat for impressions of might, although it usually signalled a helluva job in actually carrying the damn item around if venues didn't already facilitate it.

Anyway, he paled on hearing the Cartoon, as he didn't figure anyone else had truly explored the more abstract dimensions of fitness in the piano as "rock" implement. He was further worried on hearing the first two Present albums, 'though they'd form a sense of inspiration eventually.
    Agree 100% Richard!!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Done!
    First time here ... like it!

"Places, Times & People is a collection of ten medium length, mostly solely keyboard performances. It showcases a broad spectrum of Borden's compositional skills. Compositions on this disc range from piano duets, to electronic soundscapes, to dense, interlocking multi-keyboard works. Places, Times & People contains something for everyone, for all established Borden fans and newcomers alike."

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Thanks for the reminder! Nearly forgot to order this!
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hello Gang!
    Go for it!!

"U Totem were the avant-rock supergroup that combined personnel from Los Angeles' 5uu's and Motor Totemist Guild. They existed between 1988 - 1994 and released two albums, of which this is the second."

A winner!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Already got it cracking album.
    Ian

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    One of my favorite avant prog albums!

Hello Gang!
    Go for it!!

"U Totem were the avant-rock supergroup that combined personnel from Los Angeles' 5uu's and Motor Totemist Guild. They existed between 1988 - 1994 and released two albums, of which this is the second."

A winner!
    Classic!

Done!
    First time here ... nice!

"Two Rainbows Daily is a reissue of a long out of print classic from 1980 from these two fine composers and insrumentalists (keyboards and bass). While rich in sound due to overdubs, this doesn't have a full band sound, and this rather stripped-down approach makes for a "intimate" release filled with crafty melodies and subtle tonal colors. Mastered directly off the master tapes it sounds terrific; finally! No vinyl crackle! As a bonus there is 20' of extra live material. Absolutely a "Canterbury" classic."
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Done!
    Great!!

"Street smart and road-tested, ferociously grooving and lyrically charged, intricately arranged and spontaneously generated, Le Rex’s music contains multitudes. With 'Escape of the Fire Ants', the band is on the march."

ps: love the cover art!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Done!
    First time ... love it!!

inshele wrote:
    "This is really a gem! Incredible work, every single track! Boundless imagination; magical collage of ordinary everyday sound with music. Very appealing, aesthetic, peaceful, but something deep down in the music stirs up not much but just the right amount of quiet emotions." ... agree!!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Done!
    A fan here, a winner ... go for it Gang!

"The music here walks a wide loop around Soft Machine and Magma, Univers Zero and Henry Cow, Miles Davis and Miriodor, Van Der Graaf Generator and Art Zoyd. It's impeccably assembled and played, while freely indulging the more insane aspects of progressive rock, avant-garde chamber music, and electric jazz ..."
    Thom Jurek / AllMusic

Mark Jung wrote:
    "You may recognize many of these tunes from their other albums, but the performances here are very lively and extremely well played. Best album of the month, so far. Favorite track: La Chose."
    Agree!
    Last edited by TCC; 07-23-2023 at 03:06 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I actually found a copy of Sortie in the used bin at Wax Stax, way back in the early 90's. THat's how I first heard of Cuneiform (that and my friend Bill Baltitas telling me about Steve< Cuneiform and Wayside Music). I remember buying the CD during my lunch break, taking it back to work, and one of my coworkers (who was I think in her 50's, maybe a little older), giving me grief about it. "There's an 11 minute song here called Shredded Wheat! They sing about Shredded Wheat for 11 minutes". I think she also did the same number with one of the Henry Cow records, which I also bought during lunch (might have been the same lunch break as Sortie), she seemed to get endless amusment out of the "crazy song titles".

Done!
    A fan here, a winner ... go for it Gang!
    I've become a big fan of Ghost Rhythms - if you like Miriodor and Forgas Band Phenomena I find GR to be in the same general area - albeit with their own voice and identity.

This Friday, July 28, Far Corner’s second album, “Endangered” will be offered for just $5.00.
    Go here:
    https://mailchi.mp/cuneiformrecords/...s-chamber-rock

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Maske View Post
    This Friday, July 28, Far Corner’s second album, “Endangered” will be offered for just $5.00.
    Go here:
    https://mailchi.mp/cuneiformrecords/...s-chamber-rock
    A winner in my collection!
    Go for it Gang and thanks for the "music" Dan!!

"Keyboards, cello, bass and drums cooperate for instrumental "chamber rock" - a synthesis of a heavier progressive style with acoustic elements like cello...with the cello often following a perfectly-intoned tenth above, resulting in a slithery, silky undertow for the band.... Mind-blowing.... fun to listen to...."
    - Keyboard
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.