Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuneiform amazing weekend deals on bandcamp

Done!
    A winner (killer) too!

"On this, their sixth and final album, they do what they have always done, which is to dig in and to investigate the music and where the music takes them, which in this case is a single, 45' long piece!"

"Working within the instrumental parameters of the standard post-bop combo - piano, bass, drums and saxophones - the band situates itself in a space midway between what could be called Brit-Improv and American energy music...their sound is, if anything, more exhilarating than it has ever been."
    - Jazz Weekly
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Yeah, I jumped on the Mujician. I got I think two or three of their albums on CD, need to get the downloads of the others.

The completely great Insatiable by The Stick Men comin' up.

No, not the power-fusion Stick Men with Levin in it, but a goofy, surrealist avant-punk group from early-to-mid 80s Philly. It's an excellent timepiece and still plays amusingly to newer audiences at casa mia. Later renowned drummer Jim Meneses was in this band.

When I divorced my first wife in 2003 (finalized two years on), this was the only Cunei release she begged to keep from our marriage. And I duly let her, having then just recently gotten This Is the Master Brew on vinyl. It was their sole full-length.

This is comic-book like, sharp-edged, demanding and energetic-as-hell rock/post-punk. Think Devo merged with the B52s and a snippet of Talking Heads and The Residents aboard.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

OMG, it's pure subversive evil death hell! Oh, no!

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Holy shit that is great. Was Tim hip to this band or vice versa? Apples and oranges from Cardiacs but closer to them than Yanni.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

No, not the power-fusion Stick Men with Levin in it, but a goofy, surrealist avant-punk group from early-to-mid 80s Philly. It's an excellent timepiece and still plays amusingly to newer audiences at casa mia. Later renowned drummer Jim Meneses was in this band.

When I divorced my first wife in 2003 (finalized two years on), this was the only Cunei release she begged to keep from our marriage. And I duly let her, having then just recently gotten This Is the Master Brew on vinyl. It was their sole full-length.

This is comic-book like, sharp-edged, demanding and energetic-as-hell rock/post-punk. Think Devo merged with the B52s and a snippet of Talking Heads and The Residents aboard.
    Glad to see that you DIG the SOUND SENSATION called THE STICK MEN, Richard.

OH, MY, GOD, were they fun and amazing live; iirc, I saw them twice - once in DC and once in Baltimore in ‘82, opening for Etron Fou Leloublanc; talk about an awesome show!

They were as manic as James Chance & The Contortions, but with all the menace and meanness replaced by fun!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Re: The Stick Men!
    The prog police and art officials have NOW spoken. This was sent through the contact button on our BandCamp page.

———

I usually buy almost every one of your half-price specials. But after a few nasty surprises I preview them now.

I cannot believe you'd promote any music as awful as that. I listen to some extremely harsh music but I couldn't take two seconds of any tracks on that record. That was horrible.

——

‘surprises’ is what Cuneiform has always been about and ‘nasty’ is a personal value judgement.

OH! I am SO sorry that someone didn’t like something that a avant-garde label released. OMG. Isn’t the point that the world is supposed to like every thing that we do??

100% real. Is this person shaming me because he didn’t like something on offer that he had the chance to hear before spending a cent?

That’s what is shameful.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 04-18-2021 at 07:09 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    With music as "unusual" as Cuneiform's releases, why would someone buy an album, even at half-price, before checking it out first? Unless it was something they knew for sure they wanted. You're right, Steve, that's the problem here.

Nord (North) by Philharmonie.

Done!
    A winner ... as usual!!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

I bought it thanks to your message Richard and it took me completely by surprise ... love it!!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Oh, my, god.

They are lip-syncing (obviously) but here they are IN COLOR (and watch Peter Baker's feet!)

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Done!
    I was able to buy these first 2 a few weeks ago, used lp's but in a very good condition!.

G R E A T music & a labour of love ... thanks uncle Steve !!
    Last edited by TCC; 05-15-2021 at 10:27 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Oh, my, god.

They are lip-syncing (obviously) but here they are IN COLOR (and watch Peter Baker's feet!)

Nice!
    Thankx!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ That’s back when Tony Levin had a lot of hair and still did his whole Crazy Dance routine!

Done!
    Happy ... so happy!

Love Mary!

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Done!.

"An Idea" was the only song I heard from this album that is included in the "Cuneiform Records: The Albums of 2015" and it stuck with me ... great album, love it!!.

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

I don't want to miss the opportunity to recommend it: great double ... go for it Gang!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Related note: Bandcamp is doing a Juneteenth benefit Bandcamp Friday in two weeks (June 18). Regular Bandcamp Fridays start again in August.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post

I don't want to miss the opportunity to recommend it: great double ... go for it Gang!
    That is a superb album, probably my favorite by them
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Mine too. Great, great stuff.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well, that’s nice to hear.

We’re talking about doing a fourth together. Hope so! Will update when there is news.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    We’re talking about doing a fourth together. Hope so! Will update when there is news.
    Woo!

Rain Falls in Grey was so good it caused me to have to get Rain Falls In A Different Way, Rain Falls in Leicester & Baltimore , and the immersive collection Rain Falls In Grey Redux, then, because I picked up Time & Motion with Martin Archer, I sought out more and ended up with their Can-influenced Lost in Transit IV (with Damo!)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah I love Rain Falls In Grey and picked up the monstrous Redux as well. I'll checkout Lost In Transit IV
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Related note: Bandcamp is doing a Juneteenth benefit Bandcamp Friday in two weeks (June 18). Regular Bandcamp Fridays start again in August.
    Why are they doing that/ I just checked Bandcamp and it says the next one is in August, i.e. no Bandcamp Friday for June or July?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Why are they doing that/ I just checked Bandcamp and it says the next one is in August, i.e. no Bandcamp Friday for June or July?
    This is the article I found. They're doing the Juneteenth Bandcamp Friday on the 18th. It doesn't explain why they're skipping July but I guess they have the right after doing these Fridays for so long.

https://www.magneticmag.com/2021/06/...th-fundraiser/