Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuneiform amazing weekend deals on bandcamp

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Dead Men Give No Fucks
    Isn't that the seventh installment of the 'Pirates Of The Carribean' franchise? I think so...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It's unprofessional of me to say this, but I'm dead and I don't give a fuck anyore; one of my favorite bands on the label. VERY original and also very tuneful.
    One of your musically greatest and culturally most important signings, in that I sincerely believe they will be remembered well beyond our day. There are probably (and hopefully) many other Cunei artists and/or titles that will as well, but rarely do I hear a decidedly song-form troupe so fundamentally original and personal and yet playfully accessible.

I never met a single person who didn't like or at least take significant notice at Redfearn being played; his (their) sonic presence is incredibly commanding and just, well, genuinely "of its own". That guy sounds like nothing yet everything imaginable. About half a year back my son of 11 y.o. kept dancing through all of "Gutterhelmet Ascending" at 23 minutes 49 seconds (which I had spinning while doing laptop work) and wanted to repeat the ordeal later that night ( which I duly wouldn't let him, as it was bedtime). The only other music he ever expressed any similar enthusiasm towards was - ironically, I suppose, given the accordeon - Samla with Hollmer.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Isn't that the seventh installment of the 'Pirates Of The Carribean' franchise? I think so...
    Seventh and eighth. It's a two-parter.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Is that the one where Johnny Depp overacts?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Sister Death is top 20 all time for me, love that album, happy to have been able to see them several times. Top 10 this century.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That actually made me snort pretty hard....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Yes. With an authentic "British" accent.

Hey, you leave my boy alone!

I loved those first three Pirates movies, particularly how they did not follow the typical Hollywood 3-act structure in their storytelling. Goofy as they are, they were a lot of fun.

Ok, so this has been plenty for me to take the plunge with Sister Death. It's striking me as existing in a space circled by Beirut, Cobalt Chapel, Goldfrapp, & a soupçon of Nick Cave. Which is a pretty good space for me.

I once saw Beirut in Köln. One of the best gigs I've ever seen. I was in the city for other reasons (a conference on Deleuze, & also to catch up with one of my closest friends from when I was an undergraduate in Edinburgh). I discovered Beirut were playing by chance. One of the local kölsch brewers was providing free beer around the venue. They turned in a fantastic set. They were just on the cusp of moving from the wildness of the Gulag Orkestra to the more zoned in sound of The Rip Tide. The audience, mostly kids in their late teens, loved it. By the encore, half the crowd were on the (huge concert hall) stage with the band. They played on, & on.

In effect, a glorious collective version of Richard's son dancing along to this brilliant record. (btw - poor dad effort, prioritising bed time over dance time)

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Ok, so this has been plenty for me to take the plunge with Sister Death. It's striking me as existing in a space circled by Beirut, Cobalt Chapel, Goldfrapp, & a soupçon of Nick Cave. Which is a pretty good space for me.

I once saw Beirut in Köln. One of the best gigs I've ever seen. I was in the city for other reasons (a conference on Deleuze, & also to catch up with one of my closest friends from when I was an undergraduate in Edinburgh). I discovered Beirut were playing by chance. One of the local kölsch brewers was providing free beer around the venue. They turned in a fantastic set. They were just on the cusp of moving from the wildness of the Gulag Orkestra to the more zoned in sound of The Rip Tide. The audience, mostly kids in their late teens, loved it. By the encore, half the crowd were on the (huge concert hall) stage with the band. They played on, & on.

In effect, a glorious collective version of Richard's son dancing along to this brilliant record. (btw - poor dad effort, prioritising bed time over dance time)
    Beirut - and the Gulag Arkestar album in particular - were one of the best pop/rock ditties I discovered during my stay in Kristiansand during 2008-12. When my then-girlfriend's very few freaky friends (this is in the highly culturally conservative bible-belt of Southern Norway) made me realize that there was still stuff happening in "independent" popular music. The same girl (my own girlfriend's freaky friend) introduced me to the works of Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Dirty Projectors etc. All of whom were -happening- names in modern rock.

She went absolutely wild over my real-life record collection, of course. I remember especially how she'd drool over my blue-vinyl edition of The Marble Index by Nico. Which, of course, she misunderstood for an "original mint", as she had it. But that's probably the way it goes with partners 13 years younger than yourselves. I should have partnered with her instead of my own...
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Sister Death is top 20 all time for me, love that album, happy to have been able to see them several times. Top 10 this century.
    It is the most expensive album I own.

When does Mr 21 Jump Street ever NOT overact?

That was the point, I don't think he's in 21 Jump St
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    It is the most expensive album I own.
    You can always try and collect!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

You can always try and collect!
    Actually I lied, the ProgDay 2001 compilation is the most expensive album I own :-D.

Was Sister Death released on viny?

Does that groundbreaking Asia S/T somehow come in one of these deals?

Actually I lied, the ProgDay 2001 compilation is the most expensive album I own :-D.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

You can definitely forget collecting on that one...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Got Sister Death for a fiver....oh yeah.. this is right up me alley! It has an accessibility about it, yet ultra creative and challenging at the same time. Am I wrong that there are hints of Krautrock in there? This is a killer, killer album.

Just got it in digital format. Will listen to it later, but I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Done and first listen here: love it!

ps: read your comments, thanks for sharing friends!
    Last edited by TCC; 09-06-2020 at 10:35 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Wild Man by Le Rex

Done!.
    Great piece of music IMO!

"It takes you somewhere else, it’s fun, it’s enjoyable, and it’s damn well played with a lot of energy... [with] a keen sense of what makes a hard-hitting melody and a sweaty drum’n’tuba riff. Bravo!"
    – Monseiur Delire
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Was Sister Death released on viny?
    Yes. Long Gone.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

That was the point, I don't think he's in 21 Jump St
    Oh yes, he was. That was his original claim to fame, before he became a movie actor. 91a8FeaRpTL._SY445_.jpg