Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314

Thread: Cuneiform amazing weekend deals on bandcamp

Done!
    Another G R E A T one!

"São Paulo Underground's work - all of Mazurek's work, really - draws from multiple traditions, each of them already porous and absorbent, and combines ideas from each into something utterly new, while keeping it welcoming to almost any curious listener."
    – The Wire

"Mixing the opaque with the diffused and blurring the lines between electric and acoustic, Rob Mazurek’s wide ambition continues to race toward the outer limits of what is possible in music."
    – Something Else
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post

Done!
    Another G R E A T one!

"São Paulo Underground's work - all of Mazurek's work, really - draws from multiple traditions, each of them already porous and absorbent, and combines ideas from each into something utterly new, while keeping it welcoming to almost any curious listener."
    – The Wire

"Mixing the opaque with the diffused and blurring the lines between electric and acoustic, Rob Mazurek’s wide ambition continues to race toward the outer limits of what is possible in music."
    – Something Else
    I have the other two released on Cuneiform, and have seen them a couple of times in Chicago. Both those first two releases and the live experience are excellent blending modular synth madness with some South American ethnic vibes which are heavy on the percussion and finally overlaid with Mazureks excellent trumpet (or is it Cornet?) work which succeeds in throwing it back into almost a Miles sounding Nefertiti type of sound.

This one seems to stand apart a little from the other two, being much more lysergic/psychedelic and also a bit more lo-fi (which I think works to it's benefit on this release giving it an Amon Duul Krautrock feel at times only much more electronic and tape heavy). I gave it a spin last nite though phones and it was a deep, many faceted head trip made deeper with the "gummy" enhancement.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah I'm liking it
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    I have the other two released on Cuneiform, and have seen them a couple of times in Chicago. Both those first two releases and the live experience are excellent blending modular synth madness with some South American ethnic vibes which are heavy on the percussion and finally overlaid with Mazureks excellent trumpet (or is it Cornet?) work which succeeds in throwing it back into almost a Miles sounding Nefertiti type of sound.

This one seems to stand apart a little from the other two, being much more lysergic/psychedelic and also a bit more lo-fi (which I think works to it's benefit on this release giving it an Amon Duul Krautrock feel at times only much more electronic and tape heavy). I gave it a spin last nite though phones and it was a deep, many faceted head trip made deeper with the "gummy" enhancement.

best
    Michael
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

This one is really terrific
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

This one is really terrific
    Agree 100%
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Done!
    Recommended Gang!
    Happy ... I'm so happy ... another great one, first time here.

"So much came from my association with Mike... He went from being my hero to a friend, and he’s always been my teacher... I’ve always fantasized about doing something with him adapting some of my music.”
    – Bill Frisell

As a dauntingly prolific artist, Bill Frisell has recorded in a vast array of settings, but he’s never made an album like ‘Play A Bill Frisell Set List’. Captured live in concert with the superb NDR Bigband, the guitarist delivers a tour de force performance on a program of ingenious arrangements designed specifically for him and the NDR by Michael Gibbs."
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

I am very happy with that Ed Palermo Big Band rekkid. I would otherwise probably not have bought it but it sounds amazing. Played it twice in a row.

Done!
    Nice!! (1st time)

"…the saxophonist himself has a warm expressive tone, occasionally dipping into freer realms yet always staying true to the structure of his compositions.”
    – Signal to Noise
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Done!
    Gang, it only took me one spin to realize how good and interesting "Dibrujo, Dibrujo, Dibrujo ..." is!!

"Combining the raw passion of Afro-Cuban rhythm with the intellectual intensity of free jazz, Positive Catastrophe transcends idiom.... With its exciting mélange of ingredi- ents, this genre-defying album contains sufficient amounts of improvisational rigor and enchanting harmonies to satisfy both adventurous and more-conventional listeners." – Jazziz

Love it!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Bought
    Ian

Done!
    A winner!!.

“Ideal Bread aren’t staid re-creationists; they embrace the fierce originality and rigor of Lacy’s music and remake it in an utterly distinctive way.”
    – Peter Margasak, Downbeat
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    "With Beating the Teens, Ideal Bread breaks new ground both for themselves and for the creative music world. The album poses questions for musicians (“What can we do next?”) and for the audience (“What is a repertory band?”). And while the answers are varied, the methods used to ask and potentially answer these questions make for fascinating and captivating music."

Last edited by TCC; 3 Days Ago at 04:44 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.