Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOC's Tyranny And Mutation Is 40 Years Old Today

Banned

BOC's Tyranny And Mutation Is 40 Years Old Today

Happy 40th birthday to BOC's sophomore album. Don't usually play this. I spin the debut, Secret Treaties. Agents Of Fortune, and Spectres more. I decided to pull this one out today. What do you know? It suddenly clicked. This is one mofo of an album. Screaming Diz-Busters is BOC's "prog" track. In a perfect word, Baby Ice Dog would be a hit. What say all you PEers?

I think it's there best .
    Great writing, freaky lyrics & imagery, raw production and killer Buck guitar.
    I never heard anything quite like it.
    There first s/t hinted at greatness and Secret Treaties was
    more song oriented and geared for radio.
    I liked most of Agents of Fortune ...., after that I dropped out.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I think it's there best .
    Great writing, freaky lyrics & imagery, raw production and killer Buck guitar.
    I never heard anything quite like it.
    There first s/t hinted at greatness and Secret Treaties was
    more song oriented and geared for radio.
    I liked most of Agents of Fortune ...., after that I dropped out.
    The only thing that I don't like on T&M is Allen's lack of keyboards.

Great great album and one of their most twisted for sure. I don't think it is quite their best, but ranks right up there.

Steve Sly

Gun to the head... you only get to have one B.O.C. record... Tyranny and Mutation here.

My favorite BOC album with Treaties close behind.

The first 3 are priceless. But I've found lots of material on all the albums to enjoy. I think I'm one of the few that has enjoyed nearly everything they've done.
    However, you occasionally come across real winners like Debbie Denise, Lonely Teardrop, Beat 'em Up and I Want To See You In Black. Oh, and the Bad Channels soundtrack. Can't win 'em all.
    BOC FOREVER!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    The first 3 are priceless. But I've found lots of material on all the albums to enjoy. I think I'm one of the few that has enjoyed nearly everything they've done.
    However, you occasionally come across real winners like Debbie Denise, Lonely Teardrop, Beat 'em Up and I Want To See You In Black. Oh, and the Bad Channels soundtrack. Can't win 'em all.
    BOC FOREVER!
    I have all of their studio albums and find that I like at least half of even the weaker ones. I have been back on a BOC kick of late and am listening to “Club Ninja” as I write this. A good example of a weaker album that still has some great tracks on it (“Dancing In The Ruins”, “Perfect Water”, “When The War Comes”). If I could only own one I would probably go with “Secret Treaties”, but “T & M” ranks right up there too. BOC remains one of my all time favorite bands. Something about them just has always clicked with me. For me “Treaties” and “T & M” are probably the closest to a perfect album that they ever got. Even their strong ones often have a few clunker songs on them.

Steve Sly

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Timelessly good album. I loved it then . I love it now .
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

BOC was one of those bands that everyone (friends, brothers, friends brothers) all got into in the 70's- early '80s in Syracuse. BOC concerts were like going to Mecca. A great musical treat we all shared and enjoyed.
    But that kinda ended with Fire of Unknown Origin. I was one of the few that followed newer stuff past that point. And I've seen no other national band more than them. Over 2 dozen times in several states.

But I have to agree that Secret Treaties was really something special. That material is outstanding.

One of the four downloads that you can get from buying the new box set is from a KSAN 1980 FM broadcast, the Cultosaurus Erectus tour. This set is absolutely smokin' and second only to On Your Feet. Check it out. Also some nice rarities and live on 2 of the discs.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

They're OK the last days of May
    But I'll be breathin' dry air
    I'm leaving soon
    The others are already there (all there)
    Wouldn't be interested in coming along
    Instead of staying here?
    It's said the West is nice this time of year

....that's what they say...
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

One of my favorite rock bands, and not because I'm originally from Long Island. Saw them the first time in 74 with Kiss opening.
    I like all their albums save Imaginos, not for me. Harvest Moon is one of their best songs ever, from Heaven Forbid. I don't know how many times I've seen them. Buck is the greatest hard rock guitarist on the planet, for me, so melodic. No sappy lyrics here either. They are in a class by themselves. They need to play Slim's yearly in San Francisco like they used to!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    They're OK the last days of May
    But I'll be breathin' dry air
    I'm leaving soon
    The others are already there (all there)
    Wouldn't be interested in coming along
    Instead of staying here?
    It's said the West is nice this time of year
    Amazing song.

It should be a movie.

The live in Chicago version of this one (may only be available on DVD or as a stream) w/ Buck on the Steinberger is just #!!!*** great!!!!

I love just about everything this band has done, and this album easily is in my Top 5 of all their releases (Secret Treaties being my favorite). Some really intelligent yet heavy material on this one!

Amazing song.

It should be a movie.
    I'm still waiting for Hollywood to make Joan Crawford Has Risen From the Grave!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I'm still waiting for Hollywood to make Joan Crawford Has Risen From the Grave!
    It will be done, and her weapon of choice will be a wire hanger.

meimjustalawnmower
    Amazing song.

It should be a movie.
    Best version ever, imo...

wow, you mean Tyranny is only 5 years older than the first Van Halen record??
    i'm not knocking BOC but a lot changed in 5 short years.

just got the first 3 BOC records for xmas, as far as i'm concearned that's all the BOC i'll ever need (yeah, i know Agents and a couple of others have some good songs, just not as consistent as those first 3 albums).

...i saw this on (maybe Bravo) and got the CD of the same show only to find some %$#@@!!! turd lickers omitted this one... was not pleased.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    ...i saw this on (maybe Bravo) and got the CD of the same show only to find some %$#@@!!! turd lickers omitted this one... was not pleased.
    DVD version has six more tracks than the CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    The live in Chicago version of this one (may only be available on DVD or as a stream) w/ Buck on the Steinberger is just #!!!*** great!!!!
    That's the thing about Buck. He just keeps getting better and better. I love that DVD, he smokes through the whole thing.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    One of my favorite rock bands, and not because I'm originally from Long Island. Saw them the first time in 74 with Kiss opening.
    I like all their albums save Imaginos, not for me. Harvest Moon is one of their best songs ever, from Heaven Forbid. I don't know how many times I've seen them. Buck is the greatest hard rock guitarist on the planet, for me, so melodic. No sappy lyrics here either. They are in a class by themselves. They need to play Slim's yearly in San Francisco like they used to!
    "Harvest Moon" should have been as big a hit as "Reaper". The whole album is really strong and should have been a big commercial comeback for them if there was any justice in the world.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

just got the first 3 BOC records for xmas, as far as i'm concearned that's all the BOC i'll ever need (yeah, i know Agents and a couple of others have some good songs, just not as consistent as those first 3 albums).
    I agree, except Agents of Fortune has my favorite and imo best guitar work by Buck.

Check out Sinful Love: