Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RIP: David Ogden Stiers

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Here's one of Hawkeye's classic riffs

Here's the heart of the piano episode

How we mentioned that's James Stephens? Hart, from the TV series, The Paper Chase, with John Houseman. Loved that show but the movie sucked.
    The older I get, the better I was.

The TV show, Mary Hartman Mary Hartman, didn't have a laugh track but was still funny as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    The TV show, Mary Hartman Mary Hartman, didn't have a laugh track but was still funny as hell.
    THat was one I never really got to see, though I recall it being rerun briefly during the 80's. I believe I read it's supposed to be one of the best satires of American television ever.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    THat was one I never really got to see, though I recall it being rerun briefly during the 80's. I believe I read it's supposed to be one of the best satires of American television ever.
    I thought it was good and never missed it. One odd thing I noticed was, it used a lot of the character actors from All In The Family. Louise Lasser (Mary), played in a few episodes of MASH BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I thought it was good and never missed it. One odd thing I noticed was, it used a lot of the character actors from All In The Family. Louise Lasser (Mary), played in a few episodes of MASH BTW.
    She was also in one of my all time movies, Bananas, as the girl that Woody Allen goes to San Marcos to impress (which then leads to him nearly being murdered by Vargas' men, which in turn leads to him joining up with the rebels, which in turn...well, I don't know want to spoil the movie for ya). Actually, she was married to Woody, and appeared in sevearl of his early pictures.

Bananas - the testimony from Miss America was a classic
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Bananas - the testimony from Miss America was a classic
    Howard Cosell's colour commentary on the assassination of El Presidente was also classic.
    My favorite bit during the trial sequence the fat black woman who identifies herself as J. Edgar Hoover. That, and Woody, despite being bound and gagged, getting the one witness breakdown on the stand on and admit she killed somebody.

But probably the best is when the leader of the rebels sends Woody into town to get food for their camp, so he goes into a cafe and puts in the mother of all to go orders. "Emilio wanted his on a roll". "Also, cole slaw, for a thousand men!".

Vargas' men wanting to put off their attempt to kill Woody because their regular tailor was on vacation is great, too.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    She was also in one of my all time movies, Bananas, as the girl that Woody Allen goes to San Marcos to impress (which then leads to him nearly being murdered by Vargas' men, which in turn leads to him joining up with the rebels, which in turn...well, I don't know want to spoil the movie for ya). Actually, she was married to Woody, and appeared in sevearl of his early pictures.
    Yes, I remember seeing this thing. I agree, the café order scene was crazy.