Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Time for a New Pat Metheny Group Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Which one do you have, "The Great Lawn" (1989) or "The Duo Life" (1991)? I found a copy of the latter no problem, but the former seems to be massively rare and/or overpriced.
    My CD of "The Duo Life" showed up last night. It's quite mellow, lots of jazz standards (and some originals) done by just the duo of Metheny-ish electric guitar and Rodby's acoustic bass. I could listen to this kind of stuff all day ... and often do.

Now if I could just find a copy of "The Great Lawn"....

Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-22-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Found a copy on e-bay for $12. That's 1/4 of other listings. I love the internet!

I was wrong. The band is called The Impossible Gentlemen and the ALBUM is called "Internationally Recognised Aliens." They've released three albums, their self-titled debut (2011), the one listed above (2013) and "Let's Get Deluxe" (2016). Rodby supplemented on the second album and permanently replaced Steve Swallow on the third. It's all very nice Metheny-ish stuff.
    My order of the first Impossible Gentlemen album finally showed up today and it’s a doozy. Gwilym Simcock on piano, Mike Walker on guitar, Steve Swallow on bass and Adam Nussbaum on drums. Mellow, comfortable jazz which is full of unusual voicings and really pleasant tunes which don’t seem to repeat any sections. This is very mature music, very assured, from four masters who don’t need to show off. The group dynamic is marvelously coherent.

I’m reminded of the album by Pat Metheny and Brad Mehldau, where they said playing together just felt so right, like they’d been doing it all their lives.

Thanks for the heads up, rcarlberg. I'm gonna check out The Impossible Gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    The Great Lawn, I got lucky and found it as a bargain bin LP a few years ago. I only remember that it has a jazz/samba version of Joni Mitchell's "All I Want." I should listen to it again.
    My copy of “The Great Lawn” showed up today. I’m not sure I hear any jazz samba in “All I Want” but the whole disc is as nice as “The Duo Life.” How can these guys not be better known?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Love Pat Metheny, have well more than half his albums, yet I am constantly surprised when I find one I don't already own. Recently found A Map Of The World for the first time and am enjoying that. And I picked up a used copy of Still Life (Talking) that I knew I already owned, only to find inside the disc American Garage, which I always wanted and now have.
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Anyone out there have the Falcon and the Snowman soundtrack? I'm familiar with the Bowie song but that's about it.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    ^I have it. It's a decent album.

if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    ^I have it. It's a decent album.

Yeah. It's not my favorite, but I don't think PMG have ever produced a "bad" record.

I haven't heard the album, but it has an instrumental "Dalton Lee" that the PMG played live. It's of a piece with the moody synth centered style Metheny and Mays had at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Any further thoughts on Metheny and and Mays?
    I just so happened to randomly pull out As Fall Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls yesterday and listened to it for the first time in ages, was much better than i remembered it and i remembered it being pretty damn good. This might set me off on a Metheny binge alright.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I haven't heard the album, but it has an instrumental "Dalton Lee" that the PMG played live. It's of a piece with the moody synth centered style Metheny and Mays had at that time.
    Chris is a great song from Falcon and Snowman.

Hey I’m curious: has anyone ever read the story of the title of “As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls”? It seems like such an odd title there must be a story behind it, and I’ll bet it’s interesting.

But I could be wrong.

^^^

Nice read, thanks for sharing! What a great track and album.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    “That title was (created by) Steve Swallow (jazz bassist and composer) for a song that nobody played,” Metheny said. “It had a very brief life on one record in the ‘60s.”

Swallow, in an interview with writer Chris Foster, for his blog Philosophical Footnotes Musings on Art, Music, Religion and Philosophy, said: “I had nothing particularly notable in mind when I came up with that title; I’ve forgotten what the saying I derived the title from was, but it was something like “As goes New Hampshire so goes the nation,” or words to that effect, a reference to predicting election outcomes.”
    Okay, well I was wrong. The story ISN'T that interesting!

Okay, well I was wrong. The story ISN'T that interesting!
    To each his own. I found it a very entertaining tidbit, something I never knew before, and it makes perfect sense considering Swallow's deep history with Metheny and his fondness for wordplay in the titles of his own compositions.
    David

Thanks for sharing Dave, great read on one of my top ten of all time!
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

It was interesting enough that I've been searching (in vain so far) for info on the Steve Swallow piece that had a very brief life on one record in the '60s.

It was interesting enough that I've been searching (in vain so far) for info on the Steve Swallow piece that had a very brief life on one record in the '60s.
    Me too. His first release under his own name was 1975. His first published recording was 1961. So far nothing matching "Steve Swallow" + "Wichita" has shown up.

http://philosophicalfootnotes.blogsp...ita-falls.html

Closest I've come is Gary Burton's "Wichita Breakdown" (1968) -- on which Swallow DOES NOT play.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-18-2018 at 01:03 PM.

I asked this question on facebook the other day - "Does anyone know of any video or audio out there this discusses the making of 'The Way Up'?" I'm fascinated by that record, sheesh, 13 years old already! It would be awesome to see some footage of them in the studio, or whatever! ( btw, I have the live DVD, but looking for more of a 'making of' ).
    Out now! My latest work "Track Of Days"!

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Check out what somebody uploaded to Youtube last month. Pure gold!

^^^^

Pure gold and platinum coated to boot! How young they looked and how well they played that early on. Truly remarkable musicianship on display here. Thank you for posting it.

So cool! Truly a magnificent ensemble. And I love the guitar stand made with hardware-store C-clamps Pat was using back in those days.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by PMG4ME View Post
    Check out what somebody uploaded to Youtube last month. Pure gold!
    It took me a little while to track down that third tune because I knew it wasn't an original. It's from an old Gary Burton live record.