Gang!:

In the last 2 weeks I have been watching and enjoying a lot:

"The Orchestrion Project / DVD."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VymAn8QJNQ

Wonderful!!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

100% PM and PMG and Lyle Mays fan here. Since 1976.

Perhaps one of the finest shows I ever witnessed was PMG with Jaco opening in 1978. Avery Fisher Hall.
    What a priceless gift to have seen PMG at that point AND Jaco too (who played the PMG encore also).

I have to say that the wordless vocals and non-english vocals are some of my favorite elements of the mid-period PMG.
    And Nana Vasconcelos? WOW! What a tremendous musician he was! (RIP). I saw him with PMG and solo.

I also was lucky enough to have seen PM and PMG about 6 times, including Pat's Orchestrion tour. What a crazy-wonderful experience that was!

PM is a genius.
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 03-07-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Count me as a fan; wordless vocals and all.

I think he's a fabulous composer and an amazing guitarist. I love his tone including his pioneering and extensive use of guitar synth. I love how he combines sounds from America's heartland with those of the rest of the world. I think I became aware of his talent via Gary Burton's run of stellar albums on ECM including Ring, Passengers and Dreams So Real. My first Metheny purchase was As Falls Wichita... since it was a new release at the time my journey began. It's been a love affair ever since.

I'd love for him, Mays, Egan and Gottlieb to hook up one more time for an album and tour. Thanks to Metheny for exposing me to Mark Egan; I'm a major Egan fan and rank him very high on my list of favorite bassists (along with Jaco, Mick Karn, Percy Jones and Stanley Clarke).
    Last edited by FrippWire; 03-09-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post

I'd love for him, Mays, Egan and Gottlieb to hook up one more time for an album and tour. Thanks to Metheny for exposing me to Mark Egan; I'm a major Egan fan and rank him very high on my list of favorite bassists (along with Jaco, Mick Karn, Percy Jones and Stanely Clarke).
    I actually got into Mark Egan before I got into Metheny. I read an article in Guitar Player about Egan, which caught my attention because there was a photo of him with one of his Pedulla doublenecks (four string fretless/8 string fretted), and also there was mention that he was into scuba diving (apparently, when he first went to college his intention was to study marine biology). Then I saw the Ocean View video on VH-1's old New Visions show, then a little bit after that, he actually hosted an episode, where he pulled out his doubleneck and played a couple pieces.

But I really haven't heard anything he's done since the mid 80's. I have the first Elements album, and his first two solo albums, would love to hear more, though. Wish I could find that Elements record and the first solo album on CD.

Trivia: Mark Egan was the bassist on Joan Osborne's "One Of Us."

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Trivia: Mark Egan was the bassist on Joan Osborne's "One Of Us."
    He also played on the album by Duran Duran spin-off Arcadia.

Mark, a tremendous player irrespective of context, has spent most of his professional career as a session guy, whether in the studio or at gigs. It may surprise folks, but in many ways his career has echoes Tony Levin's earlier days, but for his entire professional life, barring the heavy concentration during the early PMG years. He's on Adam Holzman's new album, Truth Decay (my review you can find elsewhere in the main board), and is, at least to my ears, instantly recognizable, irrespective of context. I love the guy!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Mark Egan released an excellent trio album about 11 years ago called As We Speak, featuring John Abercrombie and Danny Gottlieb.

I don't know if Watercolors was mentioned, but that's an early Metheny album I like a lot. Eberhard Weber is the bass player.

If you go to the Metheny website, you can find a fascinating discussion by Pat and Lyle on the creation and recording of their epic track As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls. It's very interesting to hear how it all came together.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post

I don't know if Watercolors was mentioned, but that's an early Metheny album I like a lot. Eberhard Weber is the bass player.
    Yeah, I like that one a lot, too, especially Icefire. Would love to be able to learn how to play that.

If you go to the Metheny website, you can find a fascinating discussion by Pat and Lyle on the creation and recording of their epic track As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls. It's very interesting to hear how it all came together.
    I would love to read this; did some searching at the site to no avail. Could you provide a link?
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

There will never be another album quite like As Falls Wichita.....the combination of instrumentation, voices, effects, percussion and electronics makes it a totally unique work not only in Pat Metheny's catalog but in recorded music in general. One of the main reasons why it remains my all-time favorite Metheny. Man, I would love it if they got back together and attempted something like it again. The only thing that even remotely resembles it is Half Life of Absolution from the More Travels album.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Mark Egan released an excellent trio album about 11 years ago called As We Speak, featuring John Abercrombie and Danny Gottlieb.
    And I just so happened to have reviewed it at the time. For anyone interested, here it is. Terrific record!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Any thoughts on Pat or Lyle, John? Fave tunes, albums, or even stories?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I would love to read this; did some searching at the site to no avail. Could you provide a link?
    Here's the direct link.
    http://www.pmmediafiles2.com/podcast...commentary.mp3

For more podcasts, hover over the media icon above Pat's photo and click on the link.
    http://www.patmetheny.com/

I just watched the Imaginary Day Live DVD. A really nice recording.
    There are some sort of cheezy video effects in a couple of places, but the sound is really nice.
    $5.00 and worth every penny.
    Just perfect on a snow day in late March
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Today I ran across a couple used Metheny albums I wasn’t familiar with.

“Quartet” is a 1996 album with Lyle, Steve Rodby (bass) and Paul Wertico (drums) that is largely improvised. Lots of unusual sounds, very creative, contemplative, ECMish. I like it a lot.

“One Quiet Night” is a solo effort from 2003 on baritone acoustic guitar (with a pickup). That extra half-octave really gives a gorgeous tone on Pat’s gentle picking. Stunning recording too. The tone is almost in the range of the recordings Kottke did with his Bozo before it got stolen.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 05-19-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Actually listening to Street Dreams by Lyle Mays right now

Incidentally I was shopping for Pat Metheny because I’ve been enjoying the piss out of “Missouri Sky” a duet between Charlie Haden and Metheny that I recently bought for Haden’s involvement. But Metheny really kicks it into a whole ‘nother level. Another sterling recording.

Sorry, “Beyond The Missouri Sky.”

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Incidentally I was shopping for Pat Metheny because I’ve been enjoying the piss out of “Missouri Sky” a duet between Charlie Haden and Metheny that I recently bought for Haden’s involvement. But Metheny really kicks it into a whole ‘nother level. Another sterling recording.

Sorry, “Beyond The Missouri Sky.”
    Added to my wish list. Thanks RC
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Listened to a couple of podcasts on Metheny's site. interesting.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

The Metheny binge has sent me careening into Mark Egan, Lyle Mays, Elements, Unit 1, and others. SO MUCH great music out of this little club!

The John Scofield - Pat Metheny Album 'I Can See Your House From Here' is also quite nice.
    Beyond The Missouri Sky is wonderful.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The John Scofield - Pat Metheny Album 'I Can See Your House From Here' is also quite nice.
    Didn't Camel also do an album with that title?

It's hard to talk about Metheny's current quartet hee because they haven't yet, but when they do I expect the result to be spectacular. Sanchez is there, of course, but the newcomers -- Linda Oh on bass and Gwilym Simcock on piano -- are not just sympatico with Pat in the quartet setting but also accomplished and recognized players and leaders in their own rights.

Simcock is well known, particularly in Europe. In his playing here -- https://youtu.be/w2Q9nQg4JmM -- I think you can hear how he shares a common sensibility with Metheny compositionally.

If you have a chance to catch the current quartet on tour, don't miss it. They have apparently recorded, but I've not seen a release date.

On Marc Morvan's Metheny site there is a note "new album to be released summer 2018" which I assume will be with the quartet.