Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Tool - 10,000 Days

FEATURED ALBUM: Tool - 10,000 Days

I guess we are going to have to wait 10,000 days for the next Tool album. 10,000 days is now about 12 years old at this point. Time flies. By this time, the band had their sound/style pretty much down and it makes for a pretty smooth album from start to finish looking back on it. At the time, it was slagged a bit for not holding up to their previous work. Fans?

Review from Sputnik Music
    While some say 10,000 Days is a flop, a step back from previous progressive metal near-masterpieces Lateralus and Aenima, one quick play through of 10,000 Days is enough to prove that it not only holds its own against Tool's pervious journeys, it in someway surpasses them in terms of overarching senses of brilliance and intelligence. Where Aenima (and to an extent, Lateralus) was an excersize in rage and fury supplemented by strong, tight tracks, Days... is more of a long and winding road through blackened rain and thick fog. Vocalist Maynard James Keenan doesn't seem angry anymore; there's no sense of backlash here, a "me against the world" ideal. Instead the anger has been replaced by intellect, of a man who has come out of the anger with a stronger sense of ones self and of why he was even angry in the first place.

Enter "Vicarious", the first song on the album that is an appropriate transition from Tool's older world into this new realm. It's an appropriate transition because of the song's structure; it is clearly the one track here that resembles anything on the past albums. The odd time signatures, the constant bass, the harsh yells into oblivion, the sinister guitar, all signature styles of Tool's past. But something's different; there's no sharp bite, no edge to the sound anymore. To the untrained ear it's a negative aspect, but to someone who has listened to Tool religiously notices a maturity and growth from a band with so much to say to a band with so much to give. "Jambi" continues on this route of bridging the gap between old and new, and if you stopped the album there you would be hard pressed to find something entirely moving and positive from 10,000 Days.

It's only until you hit "Wings For Marie" that you are entirely transported into this new world of Tool's. Broken up into two parts, "Wings For Marie" plays out like a magic carpet ride through the twisted dimensions of your most inner thoughts and passions. Gone are the angry musicians that blasted us with what is wrong with us as a species; instead what we are left with are brooding soundscapes of beauty and some of Justin Chancellor's best bass work to date, which given his past work is saying a hell of a lot. Introspective lyrics about losing his mother to cancer, Keenan takes us on a journey never before experienced in the world of Tool. The songs seem to breathe new life everytime you listen to them even though both parts of "Wings For Marie" end the same, with an absolutely haunting conclusion, thanks to Adam Jones' breathtaking individual strumming patterns. "Part 2" is the stronger of them, beginning with truly incredible bass playing and sounds of thunder which really seal the deal in terms of the atmosphere department; this is the kind of Tool you take on long road trips to space out to and ponder the world and your existance.

Whether it's the psychotic drug-riddled "Rosetta Stoned" (complete with a truly catchy bridge with lines like "strapped down on my bed / feet cold, eyes red") or the haunting repeating guitar work of "Lost Keys", 10,000 Days isn't the pinnacle of Tool's career; rather, it's the pinnacle of something else, something entirely and artistically intelligent. Aenima and Lateralus struck a chord with the listener because of its insightful lyrics and raging tracks; 10,000 Days is on a whole 'nother playing field and time will tell what they could possibly do from here. - chambered89

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I guess we are going to have to wait 10,000 days for the next Tool album.
    Far less than 10,000 days. From what I hear, a new album will drop soon.

It's a definite step down from Lateralus, though I still like this one plenty. It's less focused without the thematic cohesion, the lyrics are almost universally weaker ("Jambi" and "Intension" aside) and the interludes felt like filler more than before. The highs are plenty nice--those two I mentioned are terrific, and the epic "Marie" suite was an ambitious and unexpectedly emotional subtle success. The catchy moments ("Vicarious" and "The Pot") are fun enough that I can usually overlook the words. Overall, worthwhile if flawed.

The whole album and particularly "Wings For Marie" makes sense if you know what it;s about.

Maynard's mother suffered a stroke when he was a kid, and lived a horrible, semi-paralyzed life for ... 10,000 days, before she passed away.

I think it's excellent.
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Its very good, I'm a big fan of this kind of edgy metal. Personally I'll put Laterus ahead of it but thats probably just because it was the 1st of theirs I got.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Got quite a rotation upon release, but I don't think I can easily listen to TOOL nowadays.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^ No surprise to note that I'm with you most of the way. Lateralus was fresh on release, but by the time of this one there was already a large bunk of other artists attempting to outdo those very same ideas. It wore off on my retroactive listening to all things Tool, although obviously it "wasn't their own fault".

The trap and curse of becoming original, as opposed to merely being so. "Madeup" originality can always be counterfeited and further flogged after demise.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The eons are closing
    While Wings For Marie I & II (10000 Days) is excellent, I find it the weakest of their four LPs overall but still enjoyable. However when I reach for Tool its usually Aenima or Lateralus.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Rumors of a new Tool album is becoming as big a part of PE lore as the Genesis reunion threads and the which-Yes-is-real-Yes threads. So, in honor of the recent FFH thread, I'll state (with indeterminate authority) that I'm sure Tool can create another masterpiece if they choose to, but even the album they don't make will be better than any album one of their copy-cats make.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ No surprise to note that I'm with you most of the way. Lateralus was fresh on release, but by the time of this one there was already a large bunk of other artists attempting to outdo those very same ideas. It wore off on my retroactive listening to all things Tool, although obviously it "wasn't their own fault".
    I can see that. The reason that is not the case with me personally is that I haven't listened to too many Tool clones to grow fatigued of the style. But I totally agree with what you're saying in general terms.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I can see that. The reason that is not the case with me personally is that I haven't listened to too many Tool clones to grow fatigued of the style. But I totally agree with what you're saying in general terms.
    Totally get what you guys are saying. Tool is not a band I reach for very often, but every now and then I do still enjoy them when I listen. They're really the only band in that particular subgenre (whatever it may be) that I ever listen to, so I've somehow never heard many Tool clones either.

Lateralus is probably the more solid album for me, but "Vicarious" and "The Pot" are some pretty catchy pieces in spite of being pretty technically complicated. Almost like a pop King Crimson.

New album begins officially recording in March with MJK in the studio at least laying things down. i wouldn't expect a release with the artwork and everything going forward til at least the end of this year (wishful thinking) or early next though.

They all have their moments for me. i owe my discovery of forward-thinking/difficult etc. music to them for sure. i saw Lateralus the album AND the title track as a watershed album/definitive statement for their return wherein they'd begin touching on some cool things to come in Resolution-Reflection-Triad, but then either did any of the following for better or worse: completely wimped out, rested on their laurels, hardly grew, needed families, and/or got wrangled in side-tracking legal battles.

I'll have to revisit this. I was excited when it was released but only about half the album had staying power for me. Part of that is because they had established some a high level of quality in the previous two releases. A mediocre Tool song is still leagues above any clones, or anyone else doing intelligent and atmospheric metal.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I dig it, but don't listen to is too much these days. I prefer Lateralus and feel this is a bit "more of the same". They really started added the "prog" element on Aenima, but Lateralus is where they fine tunes it, for me. I have Undertow and got it pretty much when it came out. Saw them playing that material on the second stage at Lollapalooza and was quite impressed by their performance and the fact that Maynard could actually sing on stage, which was not the case for all the early 90's rock and "grunge" bands.

Folks might want to check out Primus drummer Tim Alexander's band Laundry, particularly their first album Blacktongue. They actually did the "Black Sabbath and King Crimson made sweet lovin' and had a baby" thing prior to the release of Aenima.

Never heard this album but "Vicarious" sounds good... I'm guessing used copies of this probably go for pennies by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    Far less than 10,000 days. From what I hear, a new album will drop soon.
    Just in case, 10K days is 27 years... And I've recently grown over 20K days old.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Its very good, I'm a big fan of this kind of edgy metal. Personally I'll put Laterus ahead of it but thats probably just because it was the 1st of theirs I got.
    I'll put both Aenimus and Lateralus over this one, but I still like this one. Both of those can be in my 90's top 100, but 10K won't be in my 00's top 150.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Got quite a rotation upon release, but I don't think I can easily listen to TOOL nowadays.
    ctually I'd have said the same before this thread, but I heard both tracks featured in the OP, and I could imagine relistening to parts of Aenimus or Lateralus... Problem is that Tool albums were way too long... I'd have much preferred them to make 2/3 of albums and release more of them closer together in time.

Yeah, I'm sure there must've dozens of clone, but as prog/psych-metal is not one of my alleys, I haven't encountered any of them... or none that stuck to mind.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My reaction is the same as most on this thread. I think it's a very good album, but which doesn't really add much to what we already knew about Tool when the album was released. I'd probably like it slightly more if it was the only Tool album that existed, but they have two others that do substantially the same things, but somewhat better, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    My reaction is the same as most on this thread. I think it's a very good album, but which doesn't really add much to what we already knew about Tool when the album was released. I'd probably like it slightly more if it was the only Tool album that existed, but they have two others that do substantially the same things, but somewhat better, IMO.
    +1
    And I haven´t listened to Tool for a long time!!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Since nobody's mentioned the package yet, I'll give props to Adam for the whole stereoscopic thing. I enjoy Alex Grey artwork and it was pretty cool to get that 3D effect with the trippy images this book was stuffed with. (It was also noteworthy and surprising to see actual shots of the members, considering how they take trouble to obscure themselves onstage and AFAIK have never even appeared in a video).

It loses points for being total crap as a CD case, but I can admire the effort at doing something unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    AFAIK have never even appeared in a video
    They do appear in their first video (for Hush from Opiate EP) which basically just consists of the members of Tool standing naked in front of the camera with duct tape over their mouths and parental advisory signs covering their genitals. I guess they showed enough of themselves in that video for the rest of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    I guess they showed enough of themselves in that video for the rest of their lives.
    Huh. Almost wish I didn't know that now, but I stand corrected.

There are a handful killer tracks on this album. 'Vicarious'...cmon, what an awesome tune! . I don't reach for Tool anymore (probably because they just done disappeared) but this one scratches that itch if it arises.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

This thread prompted me to break out Lateralus, 10k Days, and Aenima.

I've played them all week, and enjoyed the hell out of them!

And FOR ONCE - PE caused me to (re)examine music ... without breaking out the credit card!!
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I don't reach for Tool anymore (probably because they just done disappeared)
    If I applied that principal I'd probably have to get rid of 2/3 of my collection.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    And FOR ONCE - PE caused me to (re)examine music ... without breaking out the credit card!!

So true!