Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live rendition of Camel's Nude specifically, Kit Watkins in Camel generally

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Has Kit Watkins retired? In looking at his site, it looks like the last full new album of material was back in 2005, though there a couple 20-minute environmental soundscape tracks from 2015. Does he play out at all anymore?
    Well, he plays on the new Frank Wyatt-album.

For those who want to see some live-footage of Watkins playing with Camel it might be interesting to know he on both Curriculum Vitae (a couple of songs) and Camel Footage (just one track). I'm not sure if he's featured on Camel Footage II (although the website mentions he is).

Nude is by far my favorite Camel album (but I chose Rajaz as my avatar/user name being a less anatomical name lol)

I highly recommend the Nude expanded edition with the full Nude concert and of course On the Road '81 is a a true gem.

I've never heard On the Road 1972, and wonder how good it is?

Kit is unique.
    I am a big fan. I enjoy his work with Camel.

If you really want to hear the man, play Happy the Man CDs and his solo CDs. (And yes, many folks--including me--are very much looking forward to the Frank Wyatt CD with all the old HtM and PGA alums...)

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I've never heard On the Road 1972, and wonder how good it is?
    It's got at least a half hour of great music on it, but nothing I'd call essential, unless you really like the song Six Ate. (The version there I'd say is the definitive one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Kit is unique.
    I am a big fan. I enjoy his work with Camel.

If you really want to hear the man, play Happy the Man CDs and his solo CDs. (And yes, many folks--including me--are very much looking forward to the Frank Wyatt CD with all the old HtM and PGA alums...)

For years I preferred his playing to his writing with Happy the Man, but now my favorites by them are "The Moon I Sing", "While Chrome Yellow Shine", "Morning Sun" and "Mr Mirror's Reflection in Dreams."

Plus, my favorites from the Muse Awakens are the ones where it sounds like they were trying to replicate that mysterious, airy mood of Watkin's contributions.

Surely one of the great music bargains out there you can get Kit Watkins' The Works for $65 for over 27 hours of music. Most of it is what might be categorized as soundscapes/ambient but as far as I'm concerned there's ambient and then there's Kit Watkins "ambient" which is a world all its own. The collection includes Labyrinth, Frames of Mind, In Time (with Coco Roussel), and Azure which many regard as his best albums but really as far as I'm concerned there's no weak Kit Watkins album.

http://www.kitwatkins.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How is Labyrinth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Wonderful track. It can be found on Happy The Man's 3rd (Better Late...)
    Sorry, I meant the whole album. His first album is called “Labyrinth?”

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sorry, I meant the whole album. His first album is called “Labyrinth?”
    An essential slice of keyboard prog imo

https://www.discogs.com/Kit-Watkins-...release/556081

It's also available as part of the Early Solo Works cd

I really enjoy his later 80s & early 90s releases like In Time, Azure, Sunstruck. Probably classified as new age but I like new age from that era. After a while he gravitated toward less composed and more improvisational moods and I am less interested in that type of music.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    An essential slice of keyboard prog imo

https://www.discogs.com/Kit-Watkins-...release/556081

It's also available as part of the Early Solo Works cd
    I believe Early Solo Works 1980-82 contains the complete album Labyrinth + 5 tracks from Frames Of Mind, which aren't on the same level as Labyrinth.

Phoebus Dream (from Sunstruck) is my favorite Watkins-solo-track. Very groovy at times, but also very symphonic.

A soundboard-recording from a concert in Japan, 1980, featuring Kit, will be released this month as "Kosei Nenkin Hall Tokyo January 1980". The label is Retroworld, I guess a not so official one.

Track List
    01 Echoes
    02 Hymn To Her
    03 Neon Magic
    04 Rhayader/ Rhayader Goes To Town/ Migration/ Preparation/dunkirk
    05 Wait
    06 Nobody Knows

Something about this last track:

Nobody Knows
    This is, in fact, not a Camel track at all.
    The song is a Neil Larsen track called 'Jungle Fever'. Camel used it at the end of a set during the '79/80 tour because they liked this song. It was only a jam on someone else's material. At the time no one could remember the song title, so when they announced the song as: "Nobody knows the title".
    (source: http://www.magenta.co.il/camel/misc/rarities.htm)

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    A soundboard-recording from a concert in Japan, 1980, featuring Kit, will be released this month as "Kosei Nenkin Hall Tokyo January 1980". The label is Retroworld, I guess a not so official one.

Track List
    01 Echoes
    02 Hymn To Her
    03 Neon Magic
    04 Rhayader/ Rhayader Goes To Town/ Migration/ Preparation/dunkirk
    05 Wait
    06 Nobody Knows

Something about this last track:

Nobody Knows
    This is, in fact, not a Camel track at all.
    The song is a Neil Larsen track called 'Jungle Fever'. Camel used it at the end of a set during the '79/80 tour because they liked this song. It was only a jam on someone else's material. At the time no one could remember the song title, so when they announced the song as: "Nobody knows the title".
    (source: http://www.magenta.co.il/camel/misc/rarities.htm)
    This is the original version of Nobody Knows: the title-track of Neil Larsen's Jungle Fever:

And this is Camel's version:

I have this vey concert as a bootleg since years back and it actually is quite good. I think Camel's version of Nobody Knows is just Amazing. I love the guitar and keyboard interplay of Andy and Kit and the soloing. Amazing drumming as well by Andy Ward.

I can't believe that's a full set.

Quite surprised to see 'Neon Magic' in the set. A dud of a song but the keyboard bridge is majestic.

Here is the typical set for Japan 1980:

Echoes
    Unevensong
    Song Within a Song
    Hymn to Her
    Neon Magic
    Rhayader
    Rhayader Goes to Town
    Migration
    Preparation
    Dunkirk
    Rainbow's End
    Ice
    Who We Are
    Your Love Is Stranger Than Mine
    Never Let Go

Wait
    Jungle Fever
    Lunar Sea

Only time I can see "Nobody Knows" played was a secret gig in Holland later that year.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I can't believe that's a full set.

Quite surprised to see 'Neon Magic' in the set. A dud of a song but the keyboard bridge is majestic.
    The odd thing is that the booklet speaks of "This seventy-minutes plus set you should be playing now (...)", while the CD is just 41 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Only time I can see "Nobody Knows" played was a secret gig in Holland later that year.
    That's right. I have a bootleg of this somewhere. Big Harry and the Wandering Palms they were called if I remember correctly. In 1980 it was.
    Last edited by Hour Candle; 11-04-2019 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    ICSYHFH is an underrated album with a terrible record cover.
    What's wrong with it? I think is looks great. One of the first vinyls I ever owned. Spent many an hour listening to it an poring over the artwork.

It's actually a reference to a joke that was doing the rounds back then, but works for me any way.

Unlike the album itself. For me it's quite poor, except "Ice" (of course), their finest work.