Page 39 of 125 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 NFL Discussion Thread

he'd get stopped short a lot because the entire D was keyed on him
    This! If Detroit had a great QB and a passing threat in those days it would have opened up the field for Sanders. Then we would have really seen something.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    This! If Detroit had a great QB and a passing threat in those days it would have opened up the field for Sanders. Then we would have really seen something.
    Detroit was running the Run and Shoot offense, which had no tight ends and no one else in the backfield, (other than the QB.) What he did as a RB was remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Detroit was running the Run and Shoot offense, which had no tight ends and no one else in the backfield, (other than the QB.) What he did as a RB was remarkable.
    And the problem with that style, esp with a below average OL, is that it's hard to sustain long drives, it's more of a big play HR offense, and Sanders had to try to create big plays to keep it going. As a smaller back who was elusive and not really a between the tackles runner, he was left to try to create a lot on his own, and thus there were a lot of negative carries as he's trying to improvise. Getting a lot of negative plays or short runs with a few long runs here and there is not conducive to getting 1st downs and sustaining long drives. So when it worked he looked spectacular, but as noted when everyone's keying on you and your line is subpar, it gets tough as an offensive scheme. So it's amazing he gained all the yards he did and still averaged 5 per carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It would be 7am, but yeah.
    Did you factor in the time change in November?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    He overslept.

I wish I could remember the announcer who said it, but the best quote I heard about Barry Sanders in a game was , "He doesn't have joints, he has ball bearings! "
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Clearly I didn’t! I was on island time.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I heard a recent interview with Wayne Fontes (the Lions coach at the time). Fontes was asked what the biggest mistake he made as coach was. Kind of surprisingly (to me at least) was his answer of letting Quarterback Eric Kramer get away. I was in the Silverdome for the Lions one and only playoff win in my lifetime against the Cowboys. Sanders and Kramer both had a great game that day and the stadium was absolutely electric. Still makes the hairs on my arms stand up thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It would be 7am, but yeah. We were just there last month and had this conversation, talking about how prime time games and events would start between 1 and 3pm, so you’d have to record games and put your fingers in your ears and go “lalalalala” until you got home from work.
    When you get up before 5:00 am and get home before 4:00 pm, that’s not a problem. Hmmm. Maybe I should move to Hawaii.

When I lived in PHX, I loved the early start times. Not quite 7:00 am early, but it was still cool.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

This is for Progeezer:

Quotes are from the Vikings' Xavier Rhodes
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thank you Scott.

When assessing NFL talent, I'll take a player's assessment any day over an alleged pundit's.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

If AR is not 100%, it might be better for his long range prospects to sit this one out vs the Mighty Norseman.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    If AR is not 100%, it might be better for his long range prospects to sit this one out vs the Mighty Norseman.
    Agreed.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Man, the Bingos are kicking the snot out of the Raisins.

Man, the Bingos are kicking the snot out of the Raisins.
    I've never heard a ref called a "Bingo" before!

that Xavier Rhodes quote is great. I feel like one of his TD passes vs. the Bears was like that - when he threw it you thought "no way is that ball catchable" and it landed right in Davante's hands

this video pretty much says it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EIXDwr1v0M
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

So I just figured out the New Jack City thing that my delusional Jets friend was referencing. Seems the Jets D has given themselves this nickname.

As a individual you are not allowed to come up with your own nickname - serious faux pas as it must come from someone else. Are the rules different for a unit? I don't think the Purple People Eaters came up with that nick. Steel Curtain, whatever.

When posting idiotic questions such as this I wonder about my sanity. I can remain confident that my alter-ego, DJ White Shadow, was bestowed upon me not by myself. DJ White Shadow only talks about himself in the third person so it makes for a bit of fun when DJ White Shadow comes out.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Interesting stat from ESPN's website...

Since 2014, Big Ben leads all QBs in fantasy points when playing at home. (minimum 5 starts).
    Playing at home today against KC, who lost Marcus Peters in the off season, and whose two
    starting safeties (Eric Berry and Daniel Sorensen) are not expected to play today, Ben would be
    a good bet to start on your fantasy team . (if you play. I do not) Ben also , historically, has a
    huge game the week after laying a monstrous egg like he did in week 1.

^ That is indeed an interesting stat, but I wonder how much Le'Veon Bell's presence helped. The opposing front seven has to honor the run with Bell behind Ben, making it much easier to stretch the field through the air.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^ That is indeed an interesting stat, but I wonder how much Le'Veon Bell's presence helped. The opposing front seven has to honor the run with Bell behind Ben, making it much easier to stretch the field through the air.
    That is a good point. However, with Conner's performance last week, I think the league realizes that he is a very viable threat as well. Both running and pass catching.

When I was a kid, I was fascinated by Willy Wonka and those secret workers that were helping him make that chocolate. I wanted to believe it was all real.
    Now I have my proof:

Jay Glazer is an Ooompa Loompa.

Rodgers is starting with a knee brace on and has BOTH a deep bone bruise AND a sprained MCL.

I fervently hope that his decision (trust me, #12 made the decision rather than either McCarthy or even the team physician) doesn't trash the entire 2018 season, but like Han Solo, "I have a bad feeling about this". Why tf would the Cheese risk the highest contract in NFL history? But they are. What's one week/loss this early for another week of healing?

I'm sure there are a shit ton of fellow Cheese fans that think I'm a pussy idiot, but f**k 'em.

I kind of admire Aaron for playing. He's playing a division rival. Hope he doesn't get hurt and out for the season.

Kansas City is treating Pittsburgh like they owe them money. Bitch slapping is too mild a term to what they are doing.

Is it too early to say that Tampa Bay is for real?