Thread: The 2018 NFL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I am, but only because of the difference in talent level between the CFL and NFL. I do watch it occasionally, and yes, it is fun.
    yes the talent level is lower, but many American players from the NFL or college come up here and discover that it's not a cake walk either. It's a different game. Chad Johnson couldn't believe just how much running a CFL WR has to do in a game, because, another difference I forgot to mention, Players can be in motion before the snap of the ball, so long as they don't cross the line of scrimmage. So CFL WRs give themselves a running start on almost every play.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    They have similar rules concerning leading with the helmet, etc... Concussions are also an issue. They have quirky rules like you can challenge pass interference, whether you think it was called unfairly or whether you think it was missed. There are rarely off-setting penalties so a holding on the offense will not negate a pass interference on the defense. They'll penalize the difference. A penalty like holding down the field will be assessed from where it occurred, so a 50 yard run will not be entirely wiped out due to a hold 35 yards in. The penalty will be assessed from the spot but the first down will be awarded to the offense... They also like to call things by different names, just because. Delay of game becomes time-clock violation, for example. Off-sides becomes Procedure... Each team has one time out per half. They only need one because inside the 3-minute warning (yes...3 minute warning) the clock stops at the end of every play and only starts up again once the ball has been placed by the official. If the clock runs down to 0:00 before a play is called, they run a play before ending the quarter/half/game. So you don't see teams just standing around because there is less time on the game clock than on the play clock... I'm sure you know about the Rouge. If a team missed a field goal they still get a single point if the ball cannot be run back...

All I can think of off the top of my head. I may not be 100% accurate in what I wrote.
    I wish the nfl would adopt some of these.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

yes the talent level is lower, but many American players from the NFL or college come up here and discover that it's not a cake walk either. It's a different game. Chad Johnson couldn't believe just how much running a CFL WR has to do in a game, because, another difference I forgot to mention, Players can be in motion before the snap of the ball, so long as they don't cross the line of scrimmage. So CFL WRs give themselves a running start on almost every play.
    I love that a player in motion doesn't have to move in parallel to the line of scrimmage. Would love to see that in the NFL.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I wish the nfl would adopt some of these.
    Some of the rules are just good old fashioned Canadian common sense.

Like I said... Montreal is the worse team in the CFL...

Very poor start for Johnny, er, I mean Jeanny, and Muntreal. Surprising, but I don't follow the league.

Johnny Party Boy, 2 of his 1st 3 throws INTs, 4 INTS in 1st half, 4 yards rushing. Way to go Johnny O!

who ran his hype machine when he was in college before the draft?

how was he so talked up ever?!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

^ He had an uncanny knack for improv, practically at a level unseen before. It elevated his team into the upper echelon of the SEC, and he won the Heisman as a freshman, in the year when his biggest competition was Captain Catfishing, the linebacker from ND.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Question for Yves: On the broadcast last night, one announcer pronounced the city's name as Montreal (as one would expect,) but the other one consistently called it Muntreal. Is that just something between them, or a Canadian inside joke, or what was that?

^ He had an uncanny knack for improv, practically at a level unseen before. It elevated his team into the upper echelon of the SEC, and he won the Heisman as a freshman, in the year when his biggest competition was Captain Catfishing, the linebacker from ND.
    And Te'o should have been the Heisman winner, he was dominant all year on an unbeaten team that went to the national championship. Party Boy was way overhyped by the media after a few good games, and most of his premature hype occurred because of the Bama game where he did beat them on the road, as defenses in the SEC weren't used to that wide open spread offense style. I called it right from the get go re the NFL, I never thought he was going to do much of anything due to his size, the gimmicky spread offense, but mostly because of his immaturity and lack of character. He couldn't handle the too quickly gotten hype and fame, and I won a few bets re his downfall in the NFL.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-04-2018 at 12:19 PM.

^ Yeah, we'll have to disagree about the Heisman.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    ^ Yeah, we'll have to disagree about the Heisman.
    Me too. Just because he was a bust in the NFL doesn't mean he wasn't deserving of the Heisman. He wouldn't be the first nor last Heisman winner or over-hyped college player to flame out in the pros.

My view that freshman Johnny Party Boy didn't deserve the Heisman was formed after the 12 game season in 2012, and had absolutely nothing to do with his later complete failure in the NFL. And it was based on actual football results, not out of control media hype on the "Johnny Football Network" aka ESPN (also formerly known as the Tim Tebow Network)
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-05-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Browns rookie WR Antonio Calloway, he of the chequered past, failed an IQ test Sunday night. I guess he figured there wasn't enough fodder for Hard Knocks.

I never knew that an IQ test was pass/fail.

Can we use that on politicians?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Browns rookie WR Antonio Calloway, he of the chequered past, failed an IQ test Sunday night. I guess he figured there wasn't enough fodder for Hard Knocks.
    Maybe he was supplying Josh Gordon
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

idk I think Johnny deserved the Heisman but it also seemed painfully obvious that his shtick was not going to work in the NFL
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I'm still surprised that Tebow lasted as long as he did.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    idk I think Johnny deserved the Heisman but it also seemed painfully obvious that his shtick was not going to work in the NFL
    Agreed, painfully obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Agreed, novelty act to bring in fan $$'s.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    He was a good teammate/locker room guy, and somehow had success. Anyone who watched him play knew it wouldn't last, but he managed to stick around longer than I thought he would.

Question for Yves: On the broadcast last night, one announcer pronounced the city's name as Montreal (as one would expect,) but the other one consistently called it Muntreal. Is that just something between them, or a Canadian inside joke, or what was that?
    Usually pronounced "Muntreal" by Canadians. Just like Toronto is pronounced "Tronno"

Usually pronounced "Muntreal" by Canadians. Just like Toronto is pronounced "Tronno"
    O...kaay...

I've heard Canadians say Tronno.

And I have pre-season football on free TV. Woop, Woop!!!!!