Page 14 of 125 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 NFL Discussion Thread

Have to figure that the Eagles traded up in front of the Cowboys to get the SDSU TE.

What's up with Derrious Guice? There must be something the teams know that is not public knowledge. This guy was projected as mid to late 1st Round. He's still on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    What's up with Derrious Guice? There must be something the teams know that is not public knowledge. This guy was projected as mid to late 1st Round. He's still on the board.
    The Giants could had had him at 34. Sad.

The players and position that was most overhyped by far were the QBs. None of these guys are sure thing franchise QBs. If you look at draft history, it's far more likely that 1 of the top 5 will have a long solid NFL career as a quality starter. I don't see any perennial Pro Bowlers much less HOFers in this QB class. Teams that have sucked for years are so desperate, and so pressured by the fan base, to grab "the next big thing" that all these QBs were drafted higher than they're really worth.

Taking a sure thing instant starter every down RB who can also catch passes is much more of a safe and quality pick than taking a flyer on this group of flawed QBs.

I predict Rosen won't be an NFL starter 5 years from now. He is most likely to be out of the league within 5 years. Mayfield was a huge risk as overall # 1. Darnold is probably the safest bet but also has inherent flaws and is coming out a year too soon. Allen I really don't know much about and didn't see him play much, but how many Wyoming QBs became all world in the NFL? Look at his competition in college. Look at his stats vs Power 5 schools (the few he played).

And the Browns were nuts to pass on Chubb.

True, but you guys desperately need a Running Back. Year after year, the Lions pass the top ones by.
    2nd round. Just picked up Auburn running back Keyrron Johnson. We also signed Legarrette Blount about a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    2nd round. Just picked up Auburn running back Keyrron Johnson. We also signed Legarrette Blount about a month ago.
    A RB who runs too upright. Maybe the 6th best in the class. Could have taken Derrious Guice and had a steal. Another fail, imo.

Blount is old.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post

And the Browns were nuts to pass on Chubb.
    Well, you made one valid point.

A RB who runs too upright. Maybe the 6th best in the class. Could have taken Derrious Guice and had a steal. Another fail, imo.

Blount is old.
    True Guice was still available, but I have seen some pundits arguing that Johnson is a better fit with Detroit's scheme with long arms and catch passing ability out of the backfield. To be honest, I don't know that much about him. The only games I saw Auburn play this year were the bowl game loss and the part of the Alabama game.

Blount is old, but he should still have a bit of gas in the tank for a year or two, which is all I think they want him for.

Brian Westbrook is saying that Guice got into an argument with Doug Pederson and Howie Roseman during their interview.

Probably not the best strategy.

Also: Mike Mayock has been saying that he's under some sort of investigation that would embarrass him and any team that drafts him. There are rumors that TMZ has some sort of bombshell, but TMZ is denying it.

Meanwhile, Washington picked him up.

Should be interesting.

EDIT: All kinds of rumors about Guice out there now. Between saying that he will kneel for the anthem, he's gay, his mother is/was a prostitute - it's getting crazy.
    Last edited by Scott Bails; 04-28-2018 at 12:36 AM.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This just in...

After a wild after draft party, a drunken Baker Mayfield has apparently run over Denzel Ward in his SUV!

In actual draft talk, I have no idea what Pittsburgh is doing this draft. A safety on day 1 ( needed, by not priority), and then
    3 offensive players on day 2. Ummm...Hello? Linebacker? No Shazier ? Run defense consistently gang raped last year? WTF??
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Have to figure that the Eagles traded up in front of the Cowboys to get the SDSU TE.
    LOL, I admit that was pretty funny to watch. David Akers gets an A for his trolling efforts. Who says kickers don't have balls?

I was annoyed by that move, but at the same time I'm thrilled with the Connor Williams pick. I don't really know much about Gallup, but seems like they drafted on upside there.

Dallas has quite a number of picks today (4,4,5,6,6,6,7), so they can either parlay those into additional 4th round picks, move up early in the 4th or just let it fall to them. Ian Thomas is probably the only TE left worth a 4th rounder.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Mike Mayock, who literally spends all year scouting and evaluating college football players for the draft, and who actually played football, both things which I'm confident you didn't do, had Barkley as his best player, had no QBs in the top 5, had only 2 in the top 10, and in fact only 2 in the top 20. As did many other draft experts. In other words, he is of the opinion that these QBs are overvalued. I'm going out on a limb and say that Mike Mayock knows more about football than you do. I'm going to trust his judgment over yours. I'm sure that wont stop you from spewing more drivel though.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-28-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    This just in...

In actual draft talk, I have no idea what Pittsburgh is doing this draft. A safety on day 1 ( needed, by not priority), and then
    3 offensive players on day 2. Ummm...Hello? Linebacker? No Shazier ? Run defense consistently gang raped last year? WTF??
    Pittsburgh got a good one in Chukwuma Okorafor. I have been watching him here in Kalamazoo for the last 4 years and he is the real deal. "Chukes" as he is known here, was a big part of the reason WMU made it to the Cotton Bowl last year.

1999 NFL draft

1. Tim Couch
    2. Donovan McNabb
    3. Akili Smith

also 1st round, Duante Culpepper, Cade McNown

1 great career, Pro Bowler, star
    1 solid career
    1 career backup for most part
    2 utter duds and flameouts

1983 is the exception which proves the rule re QB drafts

2003:

1. Carson Palmer, USC, Bengals

7. Byron Leftwich, Marshall, Jaguars

19. Kyle Boller, Cal, Ravens

22. Rex Grossman, Florida, Bears

-----

2012:

1. Andrew Luck, Stanford, Colts

2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor, Redskins

8. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, Dolphins

22. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, Browns

___

2011:

1. Cam Newton, Auburn, Panthers

8. Jake Locker, Washington, Titans

10. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, Jaguars

12. Christian Ponder, Florida State, Vikings
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-28-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Pittsburgh got a good one in Chukwuma Okorafor. I have been watching him here in Kalamazoo for the last 4 years and he is the real deal. "Chukes" as he is known here, was a big part of the reason WMU made it to the Cotton Bowl last year.
    I was going to ask you about him. He is not needed as a starter, so I can only imagine that working with Mike Munchak will only be a boon to him.

1999 NFL draft

1. Tim Couch
    2. Donovan McNabb
    3. Akili Smith

also 1st round, Duante Culpepper, Cade McNown

1 great career, Pro Bowler, star
    1 solid career
    1 career backup for most part
    2 utter duds and flameouts

1983 is the exception which proves the rule re QB drafts

2003:

1. Carson Palmer, USC, Bengals

7. Byron Leftwich, Marshall, Jaguars

19. Kyle Boller, Cal, Ravens

22. Rex Grossman, Florida, Bears

-----

2012:

1. Andrew Luck, Stanford, Colts

2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor, Redskins

8. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, Dolphins

22. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State, Browns

___

2011:

1. Cam Newton, Auburn, Panthers

8. Jake Locker, Washington, Titans

10. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri, Jaguars

12. Christian Ponder, Florida State, Vikings

Big Ben
    Eli
    Phillip Rivers

Alex Smith
    Aaron Rogers

I'm sure that wont stop you from spewing more drivel though.
    Guys, stop it. Just get over each other or put each other on ignore. I know this isn't the hockey thread, but the penalty box awaits. Don't ruin the experience for others because you can't play nice or show restraint.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice to see the Seahawks pick up Shaq Griffin to play alongside his brother. I'm pulling for him to make the team.

So far we've taken RB, DE, TE, OLB & S. Those are all great areas of need but where's the OL help?

And now we pick a punter?
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 04-28-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Mike Mayock, who literally spends all year scouting and evaluating college football players for the draft, and who actually played football, both things which I'm confident you didn't do, had Barkley as his best player, had no QBs in the top 5, had only 2 in the top 10, and in fact only 2 in the top 20. As did many other draft experts. In other words, he is of the opinion that these QBs are overvalued. I'm going out on a limb and say that Mike Mayock knows more about football than you do. I'm going to trust his judgment over yours. I'm sure that wont stop you from spewing more drivel though.
    If Mike Mayock thinks that any team should have taken Barkley in the first... let's say 20 picks, he's a fucking fool, and knows much less about football and how to draft than I do. And that's a fact, not an opinion.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-be-a-mistake/

I saw that.

Tavon Austin to the Cowboys for a 6th round pick. I like it at least for now.

The Seahawks traded up to get a punter!
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The Seahawks traded up to get a punter!
    If it was the guy from Texas, he averaged 47 yards per punt last season.

It was, and he's Australian so probably tackles like a linebacker.
    Ian

Braxton Berrios to the Pats?

Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I was going to ask you about him. He is not needed as a starter, so I can only imagine that working with Mike Munchak will only be a boon to him.
    You guys also signed WMU running back Jarvion Franklin as a free agent. This guy is a true sleeper. He is kind of a north / south running back, but has plenty of power and is a brute and can power over people. He kind of got overlooked a bit because WMU had 3 really good running backs over the past two years using a committee type system, with Franklin as just one of the three, but I honestly think he has a chance to do big things with a bit of development.