Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anthony Phillips Private Parts & Pieces IX-XI

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Ordered, of course. The Extras disc and a bunch of redundant CDs. It cannot be helped.
    So true. I have to have that extras CD. It's a sickness, really.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ Can you send your Insect Minions out to fetch it?
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    So true. I have to have that extras CD. It's a sickness, really.
    I know you are joking. But it always looks that way to people looking at the “Ant” section of my CD wall.

For me, it is not that I get all of his titles simply to have a complete collection. It is that every darn CD has something wonderful on it. I bought the “Geese and the Ghost” LP when it first came out and still remember the excitement when my continual checking of the “P’s” in record sores sometimes resulted in seeing a new Ant album. And like many of my generation, I strove to always have the best stereo I could afford. So when CD’s came out I wanted to hear those classics without the surface noise and wow/flutter. I bought each CD and very much enjoyed the improvement in sound. I found that if one didn’t grab his new titles when they came out, they often went out of print. So when I saw something new, I grabbed it. I just enjoy his music. These re-issues deliver solid value for me. The new bits, the 5.1’s, the package, and the liner notes make them an auto-buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I know you are joking. But it always looks that way to people looking at the “Ant” section of my CD wall.

For me, it is not that I get all of his titles simply to have a complete collection. It is that every darn CD has something wonderful on it. I bought the “Geese and the Ghost” LP when it first came out and still remember the excitement when my continual checking of the “P’s” in record sores sometimes resulted in seeing a new Ant album. And like many of my generation, I strove to always have the best stereo I could afford. So when CD’s came out I wanted to hear those classics without the surface noise and wow/flutter. I bought each CD and very much enjoyed the improvement in sound. I found that if one didn’t grab his new titles when they came out, they often went out of print. So when I saw something new, I grabbed it. I just enjoy his music. These re-issues deliver solid value for me. The new bits, the 5.1’s, the package, and the liner notes make them an auto-buy.
    I really am only slightly joking. And I totally understand and agree with you! One day I'll start tracking down his library music too.

ant 3.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I really am only slightly joking. And I totally understand and agree with you! One day I'll start tracking down his library music too.

ant 3.jpg
    Oh that photo is only a moderate sickness. Mine is worse.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ant 3.jpg
    I've got that coffee mug!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Oh that photo is only a moderate sickness. Mine is worse.
    Can't really see all the titles in that pic, do you have a larger one? It's always nice to see another Ant collection! I always keep my eye out for The Meadows Of Englewood in people's collections...

Can't really see all the titles in that pic, do you have a larger one? It's always nice to see another Ant collection! I always keep my eye out for The Meadows Of Englewood in people's collections...
    I'll re-shoot tonight (especially, because several titles were not in the stack when i took the first one).

my order shipped with a great additional pre order savings of .01 pounds!

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    my order shipped with a great additional pre order savings of .01 pounds!
    So it should be just slightly lighter when it arrives.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Early last week Amazon e-mailed me and claimed that I was going to receive "release date delivery" on the 27th, but apparently the delivery is by tortoise, so it's still making its way up from SC.

I'm really enjoying these rereleases by Esoteric.

cd.jpg

Showed up today. Looking forward to checking out disc 4, but going to re-listen to vols. IX, X and XI first, as it's been a while since I've put some of that stuff on. I always enjoy these detailed booklets where Ant says a little something about each piece.

cd.jpg

Showed up today. Looking forward to checking out disc 4, but going to re-listen to vols. IX, X and XI first, as it's been a while since I've put some of that stuff on. I always enjoy these detailed booklets where Ant says a little something about each piece.
    Ditto.
    Ditto.
    And ditto.

I haven't even taken the shrink warp off yet. I look forward to all of it.

This world is pretty scary but if i can occasionally buy a "new" Ant CD or two I guess things aren't too bad yet.

a "new" Ant CD
    5+ years since we were able to buy anything new-new. I may need to get those library music downloads.
    This Extras disc could be the best yet.

Is the 2nd movement of Piano Drama unrecorded, unreleased or is it already out there in the discography under another title?
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 05-03-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Is the 2nd movement of Piano Drama unrecorded, unreleased or is it already out there in the discography under another title?
    From what I can ascertain from the booklet notes, it was never recorded. Part I was discovered with the tapes for New England, but due to time restraints, the rest of the composition was not recorded. Four years later, Ant returned to the piece and recorded part III for possible inclusion on Dragonfly Dreams, but no mention is made of part II ever having been recorded. I suspect if it had been, it would have appeared on this disc.
    Last edited by Progatron; 05-03-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone get it from Amazon.com yet?

Holy cow... I completely forgot about this one!

Granted, I already have these three albums on CD, but I wouldn't mind shelling out the money for them again (and they're remastered or something?).

I love Ant, so this is a no-brainer really.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone get it from Amazon.com yet?
    I did.

It made 2 stops in SC, 1 in NC, 1 in VA, 2 in NJ, and 3 in MA before my house.
    The stories it could tell if it could talk...

I did.

It made 2 stops in SC, 1 in NC, 1 in VA, 2 in NJ, and 3 in MA before my house.
    The stories it could tell if it could talk...
    LOL

I just remembered I ordered from Amazon UK. Shipped 4/26, looks like it’s taking the scenic route too, but no tracking. Shipped via “ASENDIA” and not due till the 16th. Result of the low price I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Granted, I already have these three albums on CD, but I wouldn't mind shelling out the money for them again (and they're remastered or something?).
    They are indeed, although I didn't notice any difference in them whatsoever. But that's okay!

I listened to all four discs last night and read the booklet front to back. I agree with Dave that this is the best bonus disc yet!

As for Amazon shipping, mine came from Amazon Canada and was supposed to be in stock last Friday but wasn't in stock until Tuesday of this week. I had it yesterday (Thursday.)

I'd like to start looking deeper into his library music... there are lots of them available on Discogs, but I'd like to talk to someone who is an expert. I know some of the pieces have made their way to his actual albums (these library ones are never issued as "Anthony Phillips" titles, it's only once you read his name on the back cover credits that you know it's him.) And do I want to devote a lot of time, energy and money to a large catalogue of 30-second sound bites used in nature shows?

Mine arrive from Amazon 🇬🇧 yesterday.

And something new!

http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/

Pre-ordered!

^ Preordered? It’s available now! This did sound interesting when first released.

EDIT: Oh, I see Amazon.com says released June 8th.

I’d love to just get a download - wonder if that’s available.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Preordered? It’s available now! This did sound interesting when first released.

EDIT: Oh, I see Amazon.com says released June 8th.

I’d love to just get a download - wonder if that’s available.
    Yes, I guess this is a similar release to the one included with the rather $pendy book. This will be widely available and has some new stuff.