Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progressive Break Up Songs

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Not too progressive, but pretty much all of Across a Crowded Room by Richard & Linda Thompson
    Mentioning the Thompsons reminded me of John Martyn's Grace And Danger (yet, with Phil Collins, who did on his Face Value more or less the same thing).

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty well documented. It was an unintentional foreshadowing. They sang it at their last gig before Neal left and Neal was pretty teary-eyed.
    See, you learn something new everyday. Thanks for enlightening me, now I will listen to that song differently.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Echolyn's The End Is Beautiful
    And Lovesick Morning from the same album.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    But it's interesting, their first major international hit was Waterloo, and The Winner Takes It All was one of the last (if not the last). So they sort of started their international career singing about unbridled love, and then they sort of ended it by singing about breaking up, which I suppose is reflective of what actually happened to the two couples within the group, with each pair getting married and then eventually divorced, before the group finally split up.
    I think it was with “Knowing Me, Knowing You”—the first of their break-up songs—that they realized that they were really good at writing sad songs. Compare the bubblegum/Schlager sounds of Waterloo to The Visitors, which seems to be all sad, somber songs, all the time.

They got very good at conveying complex emotions through pop songs, no mean feat for songwriters working in a language not their own. Check out “The Day Before You Came,” their penultimate single release*. On the surface it’s a song about a woman whose life was empty and meaningless until she met the love of her life. But if it’s such a romantic sentiment, why does the song sound so sad. There are a lot of fan theories about this one—my favorite is that it’s actually sung by the ghost of a woman singing to the man who murdered her. But my explanation is far more mundane—and infinitely more tragic.

She’s singing the song from her lover’s grave.

It’s the only explanation that makes sense. With the sorrowful tone of Agnetha’s lead voice, and the funereal wailing from Frida in the background, it definitely sets the tone. Agnetha is portraying a woman remembering what life was like before her lover came along and brought meaning to her empty life, and is extremely broken that she has to return to that now that he is dead. In a way it’s a song about carrying on in the face of adversity, “I was able to live this way once. Even though I don’t want to go back to this life, I can do it again.”

*of new material. They reissued “Thank You For the Music”—initially from The Album—as a single after their last 7" of new material, “Under Attack.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Shesmovedon- Porcupine Tree
    Great choice. Wish I had thought of that one.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 03-01-2018 at 05:39 PM.

The Gates Of Delirium- Yes

Digging In The Dirt- Peter Gabriel

Cat Food- King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    The Gates Of Delirium- Yes
    Gotta admit, scratching my head on that one as a breakup song.

"'The Gates of Delirium' is the first track on Yes’s 1974 album, Relayer. The song is based on Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace, and it begins with a lengthy vocal section followed by a long instrumental section (beginning at about the 8 minute mark) representing a battle. The final section, occurring about 16 minutes in, released as a single in 1975 entitled "Soon", is a very gentle, soothing prayer for peace and hope which represents the aftermath of the battle."

"Collapse the Light Into Earth" by Porcupine Tree:
    I won't heal given time
    I won't try to change your mind
    I won't feel better in the cold light of day
    But I wouldn't stop you if you wanted to stay
    Helps that I got that album right after a breakup, so it felt particularly relevant.
    Jonathan Byrne
    http://jdbyrne.net

The first one I thought of was Owner of a Lonely Heart, but then the lyrics don't make the slightest bit of sense.

I don't know if Zebra counts as prog, but a lot of their songs seem to be about breakups: Tell Me What You Want, Take Your Fingers from My Hair, Hard Livin' Without You, Better Not Call, One More Chance.

Genesis--Evidence of Autumn and Please Don't Ask

David Gilmour--Near the End

Stencil Forest's Abyss is a concept album about the lead guitarists's divorce. One song mentions an affair that needed to end, so there were two breakups.

Anthony Phillips--Bleak House and Holy Deadlock (about a marriage that sounds like it's about to end)

Not prog, but a great modern folk song by The Other Favorites about would-be lovers who end up trying to kill each other, with one succeeding:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay4IF5iOz_k

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Lovely stuff! And being English I've never had a clue about Auktyon's lyrics but they certainly convey emotion. I just love the bass clarinet line in this too. It struck me that the singer resembles the young Peter Hammill.
    I'll go and give it a spin now if only I can work out which album it came from
    Nice to see Auktyon pop up here. I saw them several times live here in Germany, and it always was a special experience. But I never had any idea what the lyrics are about. I don't speak a word of Russian.

A Ha - "I Wish I Cared"

To love me truely or let me go
    Inbetween I don't want to know
    This is how it has to be
    No more us and no more we

Hey - I wish I cared
    Hey - I wish I cared

Once again, on the station
    See your face in a crowd
    Comes again the sensation
    You can't hear yourself think
    With their voices inside your head

Hey - I wish I cared
    Hey - I wish I cared
    I wish I cared
    Yes I really do
    I wish I cared

(Just as prog as many already named!)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Marillion has a lot of them! House, Throw Me Out, A Legacy, These Chains, probably more...
    Kayleigh as well. Actually, you could probably say all of Misplaced Childhood is about Fish' inability to get over his high school girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I think it was with “Knowing Me, Knowing You”—the first of their break-up songs—that they realized that they were really good at writing sad songs. Compare the bubblegum/Schlager sounds of Waterloo to The Visitors, which seems to be all sad, somber songs, all the time.
    I suppose it's still a bit "bubblegum", but I always saw SOS as being a breakup song, or at least a "beginning of the end of the relationship" song. And though it sounds like a happy song, Mamma Mia is kinda about a pretty frelled up relationship too, as the protagonist finds herself unable to leave a man who she knows has been unfaithful. So I think there was some pretty complex things going on in some of those songs even early on.

I always reckoned they got into the sort of sadder songs later, as their marriages fell apart, but Knowing Me, Knowing You predates that time, so it seems like the songwriting was already headed in that direction even before their lives were.

Oh and kudos for using the word "penultimate" correctly. It drives me crazy when it's used as a synonym for "ultimate" (which, actually, is also usually used incorrectly too, as ultimate actually means "final", not "best").

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Kayleigh as well. Actually, you could probably say all of Misplaced Childhood is about Fish' inability to get over his high school girlfriend.
    You're kidding! That was a high school relationship he was singing about on that album?! I always reckoned it to have been something considerably more recent.

Unreleased Genesis track from 1976. Was only released in Moldavia as the B-Side of Squonk

Peter Gabriel Tore us apart

When the routine bites hard
    And ambitions are low
    And the resentment rides high
    But emotions wont grow
    And were changing our
    ways,
    Taking different roads
    Then Gabriel , Peter Gabriel will tear us apart again
    Why is the bedroom so cold
    Turned away on your side?*
    Is my timing that flawed,
    Our respect run so dry?*
    Yet theres still this appeal
    That weve kept through our lives
    Gabriel, Peter Gabriel will tear us apart again
    Do you cry out in your sleep
    All my failings expose?*
    Get a taste in my mouth
    As desperation takes holdIs
    it something so good
    Just cant function no more?
    *When Gabriel, Peter Gabriel will tear us apart again

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Peter Hammill's "Over" is not just a song, but a complete album on this subject.
    Over/Not Over

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill
    Lovely stuff! And being English I've never had a clue about Auktyon's lyrics but they certainly convey emotion. I just love the bass clarinet line in this too. It struck me that the singer resembles the young Peter Hammill.
    I'll go and give it a spin now if only I can work out which album it came from
    Alan, the studio version of this song is on the album Bodun (Russian slang word for "hangover") from 1991. Good point about young Peter Hammill – it never came to mind, but indeed, there is a certain similarity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn
    Nice to see Auktyon pop up here. I saw them several times live here in Germany, and it always was a special experience. But I never had any idea what the lyrics are about. I don't speak a word of Russian.
    Their lyrics are very unique, highly indebted to absurdist poetry from the 1920s and 1930s (especially the OBERIU circle, see here for the general idea of what that was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberiu). By the way, they are usually written not by the singer (Leonid Fedorov), but by the keyboard player (Dmitry Ozersky). Also, one missing piece in my Auktyon collection is the original LP of their Ptiza album that came out in Germany in 1993. So, if you live there and know where to find it, please tell me

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    Over/Not Over

Jeff Beck--Cause We've Ended as Lovers

Surely Ian Anderson must have written on this subject? Can't think of anything offhand.

Good call on John Martyn's 'Grace and Danger'. Martyn says he and Phil Collins took tear-stained turns on the phone to their respective soon-to-be-ex partners while they were making it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You're kidding! That was a high school relationship he was singing about on that album?! I always reckoned it to have been something considerably more recent.
    Sorry, not high school, college. At least from the lyrics he talks about them being together in the "college hall".

Shipwrecked by Genesis. I was going through a separation at the time and CAS had just come out. That song and much of the Moody Blues' Strange Times album was the soundtrack to that event.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.