Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Survivor Ghost Island - C'mon in guys!

Out , definitely out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Every season I assign as many nicknames to contestants because I usually can't keep track of their names when the season starts.

I instantly named Jacob, "Hair Bear", from the Hannah-Barbera cartoons... pictured on the left, obviously.

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Hmmmm....

Wow. No posts in almost two months. Must be a really bad season of "Survivor."

Last week, before the double elimination, I was talking to a friend of mine and she thought the season was great. I was like "What are you smoking?"

Right now, I'm hoping Dom or Wendell wins.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

While it hasn't been a snoozefest for me, it hasn't been the best of the best. I find this season right in the middle. Some good play, but some boring play, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    While it hasn't been a snoozefest for me, it hasn't been the best of the best. I find this season right in the middle. Some good play, but some boring play, also.
    Pretty much how I feel too. I am one episode behind, but have it DVR'd/

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Wow. No posts in almost two months. Must be a really bad season of "Survivor."

Last week, before the double elimination, I was talking to a friend of mine and she thought the season was great. I was like "What are you smoking?"

Yeah, I would agree, this season has not been a must-watch like some seasons past. Dom and Wendell are clear faves too.

I think the key is having someone really strange/weird/funny like Philip or Coach, or hateable like Russell, and some smart, creative play from any quarter never hurts.

Don't really have much of the above this year....

The challenges have been good, for the most part. The Ghost Island twist is pretty much a dud so far, especially when they show clips of those past seasons to remind us how much better those years were.

Still these seasons have a habit of ramping up the interest down the home stretch, hopefully Ghost Island will contribute to at least an exciting ending.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I think the key is having someone really strange/weird/funny like Philip or Coach, or hateable like Russell, and some smart, creative play from any quarter never hurts.

The closest this season would be Bradley and Chris.

I'm watching, but usually doing something else at the same time. Not a very exciting season. Lots of duds this time around.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Yeah, I would agree, this season has not been a must-watch like some seasons past. Dom and Wendell are clear faves too.

The challenges have been good, for the most part. The Ghost Island twist is pretty much a dud so far, especially when they show clips of those past seasons to remind us how much better those years were.

Still these seasons have a habit of ramping up the interest down the home stretch, hopefully Ghost Island will contribute to at least an exciting ending.
    I rejoice everytime those types of characters aren't around.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I rejoice everytime those types of characters aren't around.
    Really? Not me. I love when players like that stick around. Without the weirdos and wack jobs, this show is a snoozer.

This has been one of the seasons where a couple of big characters are all over every episode and half the cast are completely invisible until it's time for them to get the boot. And the ghost island twist feels like the producers are aware that the show has jumped the shark and have decided to really embrace and celebrate it.

Having said that, I have enjoyed the constant stoner jokes the editors have been making at Sebastian's expense (such as Probst shouting things like "Sebastian is too high! Can't get anything done!" when they are shooting with a slingshot in a challenge).

We just got back from a 4-week out-of-country trip, and my wife wanted to binge-watch 4 episodes in a row.

The best part was when they voted out that arrogant SOB (I forget his name - he's the first guy on the jury.) Talk about self-important! Utter jerk, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Same here.

The challenges have been good, for the most part...
    I can't agree - it seems to me that there are 2 or 3 themes, and EVERY damned challenge is just a variation on those themes. I wish they'd use some imagination, and do something completely different!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

I can't agree - it seems to me that there are 2 or 3 themes, and EVERY damned challenge is just a variation on those themes. I wish they'd use some imagination, and do something completely different!
    Yeah, I get that, but let me clarify.

Number one, I love the water challenges. If it has water, I favor it, even if we've seen variations of it before. Seems like there have been a lot of water involved this year so naturally I like that. Distracts me also from the rather dull game play the rest of the time too.

Number two, there have been quite a few really good come backs during these challenges too, IIRC. Just last week the one team that was losing everything finally won a challenge for a change, which was nice.

Also being Ghost Island, only natural they bring back old challenges. Just like poor old Malcolm did , Wendell proved sometimes these "advantages" are not all they are cracked up to be. I'm sure he figured it was some kind of immunity when he volunteered, but no...

And there was that cool new twist they pulled during that very first challenge at the first few minutes of the first show this year, which they've never brought back btw. They should bring that one back into play, really ramps up the interest IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Really? Not me. I love when players like that stick around. Without the weirdos and wack jobs, this show is a snoozer.
    Ehh...I'm reminded of the lowest forms of human life on a daily basis, I don't need any of that clogging my escapisms. (Just to clarify I wouldn't put coach in this grouping, and Phillip is borderline) I rather have intelligent, strategic, and ruthless (but not in the piss in the rice type of way) types of people on this show (or really any of these reality game shows)

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    We just got back from a 4-week out-of-country trip, and my wife wanted to binge-watch 4 episodes in a row.

The best part was when they voted out that arrogant SOB (I forget his name - he's the first guy on the jury.) Talk about self-important! Utter jerk, IMO.

Same here.

Agreed. This balance/hold something precarious type of challenge is quite boring for several iterations.

And, as to not triple post, to a point from NeonKnight above...if you aren't good at something it doesn't matter how many do-overs you get. And Malcolm was quite terrible at this particular challenge. Even if he had five do-overs I don't think it would have made any difference for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Ehh...I'm reminded of the lowest forms of human life on a daily basis, I don't need any of that clogging my escapisms. (Just to clarify I wouldn't put coach in this grouping, and Phillip is borderline) I rather have intelligent, strategic, and ruthless (but not in the piss in the rice type of way) types of people on this show (or really any of these reality game shows)
    I agree. The players that I remember and enjoy watching are the strategic, smart players. Not the crazies. Not the athletes. Not the dumbasses.

Parvati
    Boston Rob (although he was smart and a character)
    Cochrane
    Cirie
    Yul (also very handsome!)
    Audrey

To name just a few.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I agree. The players that I remember and enjoy watching are the strategic, smart players. Not the crazies. Not the athletes. Not the dumbasses.

Parvati
    Boston Rob (although he was smart and a character)
    Cochrane
    Cirie
    Yul (also very handsome!)
    Audrey

To name just a few.
    I actually dislike Parvati. It seems to be a personality clash issue. She just seems like the type of person I would want to avoid in real life. Terribly arrogant too imo. But other than that, agreed!

I don't need to like someone to enjoy watching them on Survivor. I just don't want to be bored to death by an island full of players like Chelsey. (spelled like someone who voted for her)

This season just happened to deepsix any possible loose cannons-Jacob-Gonzalez-Bradley-Chris, way too early. And to be honest, this particular group of unintentional dramadey and pot stirring were not exactly exciting or original.

For damn sure, there are no Boston Rob's, Parvati's or any other Survivor Chessmasters you care to name among this entire season, nope, none of those...

And to Hobo, what you said is exactly what I meant when I said these "advantages" are not all they are cracked up to be.

Yep...that's where I'm at as well. Though I love when the dumbasses stick around. Makes things so much more fun.

So kids? What did you think?

Would have rather seen Dom win over Wendell, but I have no problem with the latter winning. The last few episodes were good. This makes it two seasons in a row that the person making fire in the final four won it all.

The reunion show was the worst ever. More time was spent on Kevin Hart and his new show than there was on the survivor contestants.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

When Wendell played the immunity idol for Laurel, I said to my husband that it was purely symbolic since Wendell, Dom and Laurel controlled the vote and they knew that Laurel wasn't getting voted out. But did that move ever pay off for Wendell! I bet he had no idea how giving her the idol/necklace would end up winning him $1,000,000.

Has there ever been a final TC vote where all three people got votes? It seems to me that the votes are always for only two people. It makes me wonder why Survivor continues to have a final three. I'd really like to see them go back to a final two. Let's battle it out head-to-head.

I agree with paythesnuka. The reunion show was a total waste of time. Because of Jeff's little in-studio sidelines during the first two hours, they didn't announce the winner until 15 minutes into it, and then they spent part of it promoting Kevin Hart's totally unrelated Wipeout-ripoff game show. There was so little game discussion, I had to wonder why they bothered? Either have a reunion show, or go the Big Brother route...spend time talking to the jury before the vote and forget about the after-show discussion. I don't like this new format.

Wendell deserved his win, so did Dominic, I think we all knew going in to the vote Laurel had no shot.

Dom's little trip to the top of Ghost Island sealed the deal. He came up with the right strategy, fighting it out with Wendell making fire, but just did not have the stones to make what would have been the most ballsy move I've ever seen in this game.

Instead he took the tried and true safe route, and Wendell's move protecting Laurel becomes the big move. (Not really that ballsy though, just smart.)

Wendell won some big challenges-I thought the giant maze was great- but could not beat Dom in the final challenge, even though he almost did. Still think the best part of this season was the challenges, the game play was pretty much vanilla. Not saying the challenges were all world beaters, just that it was pretty much the only thing keeping me awake.

Kind of cool I guess to see THE FIRST TIE VOTE EVER! (Jeff shouting) But so anticlimatic, since it was pretty obvious Laurel would go with Wendell, IMO.

"Wipeout-ripoff game show." This cross promo crap is fouler then a Most Extreme Challenge-ripoff-Wipeout-ripoffed game show ripoff.

Next season may have potential for some very interesting game play, hopefully more exciting then watching the grass grow...

Dom or Wendel would have been fine. They both deserved it. I didn't like the season all that much. I found the players for the most part to be incredibly boring.

As far as that reunion show...they always suck and are quite unfulfilling. Usually wind up just being a Jeff Probst wanna be psychiatrist show.

By the way... Chelsea is a hell of a fine lookin lady, but did she speak more than 3 sentences the entire season? If that?