Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Gong - Angel's Egg

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FEATURED ALBUM: Gong - Angel's Egg

Who says you can't find new gems in your own collection? I was spinning Angel's Egg, something I have not heard for at least 10 years, and wow it really hit me like not before. I hear a lot of depth I didn't before not to mention obvious influences on others. Anyway, it's always nice to dive back into your collection and feel like you made a revelation.

Review from ProgArchives:
    In this chapter of the greatest trilogy ever written, one finds Zero The Hero looking for ways to spread the good words taught to him from Planet GonG through this Radio Gnome Invisible, and he meets all sorts in that quest.

Angel's Egg sees two new members replacing Frenchmen Trisch and Moze: Pierre Moerlen and Mike Howlett and now the classic GonG line-up is present. However, unlike the previous Flying Teapot and the following You, the tracks here are fairly short (except for the opening track that clocks in at 8 min) barely exceeding 5 min at best.

Side 1 starts with a rare but superb almost-instrumental that is proof , if need be, that Gong is materful in all area including jazz-rock Canterbury style. All other numbers are very typical GonG athmospheres and climaxing in the Prostitute Poem where Malherbe answers so greatly to Gilly Smyth - delightful and dare I say Orgasmic. Only the drunken pub tune Givin My Luv sticks a bit out but it is short and can be easily skipped.

Side 2 starts with the real treasure of this album: it is the Flute Salad - Inner/Outer Temple suite only to be followed by concert fave Oily Way. Malherbe shows that he also masters the flute and the climaxes created is not only orgasmic but cosmic. Moerlen gives us a peak on future Gong music by putting in his great vibraphone playing in one of the last track. Many different facets of GonG are present in this album making probably their most impressive one ever.

Again for years the superb artwork sleeve had not been sufficiently respected, often suppressing most of the heavenly blue innerfold of the album. Charly Records via their subsidiary Victor label again released a mini-lp reissue (cat# 61173 , pricey but superb and essential for the understanding of this epic) and adjoining for the first time a booklet explainig the story and lyrics. However the extra track of previous reissues is absent, but it was not really adapted to the album. - Trane

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

About as good as it ever gets for Gong, especially if you're looking for a more narrative, song based album. My dad came back from a business trip in Paris with a copy of this. Must have been a funny sight, middle-age businessman asking for any Gong records for his son back in the states.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I hear a lot of depth I didn't before not to mention obvious influences on others.
    Immensely so. Most - if not all - bands on underground European labels (Mystic Stones, Delerium, Colours, Record Heaven, Demi Monde, Orwaschl, Mellow, APM, Woronzow and so on) during the 'neo-psych/prog renaissance' period of 1988-2005' were on one level or another informed by this phase of the Gong journey. If not always so much directly in sound, at least in terms of cultural aesthetics. It's so great to once in a while be willing to Write something positive about one of the more 'popular' old bands, as opposed to spending all my time and energy on those strange and alien artists making music today which isn't even traceable back to any of Phil Collins' boxsets or Wetton's 80s solo releases.

Other than that, Gong are definitely best known for being the band who would go on to sport a member (40 years down the line) who'd attemptively hit on the wife of an unfathomably relevant PE-contributor who attends Cruises to the Edge and whose life was shaped by Heaven and Earth and whose struggle against the oppressive dictatorship of the horrendous snob elitists of taste remains staunch and firm.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Other than that, Gong are definitely best known for being the band who would go on to sport a member (40 years down the line) who'd attemptively hit on the wife of an unfathomably relevant PE-contributor
    Thank you for posting this rather weak attempt, because embarrassingly enough I need to set the record straight even though the posts were removed quickly after I sent them.

The party animal in question wasn't from Gong at all, but from another band altogether, (shows you what I know, and how trying to be a wise-ass on social media goes sometimes - embarrassing indeed)

I have apologized to Kavus profusely for any aspersions and for MY bad joke

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    Thank you for posting this rather weak attempt
    Well there you go. But although a very, very weak one, it wasn't really an attempt.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I love the Gong but I don't really like David Allen. I also like VDGG, but I hate Peter Hammil's voice. I think Zappa is a genius, but only when he doesn't sing. Or plays the guitars. Or writes music.

Am I allowed to post this here - this meaning my opinion - or is the sign "post only positive comments" on?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Am I allowed to post this here - this meaning my opinion - or is the sign "post only positive comments" on?
    I'm not sure where you're going with this, but it's not a Flower Kings thread.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'm not sure where you're going with this, but it's not a Flower Kings thread.
    Or a Genesis thread. Because if you don't like their lyrics by some miracle, you have to watch for your life.

"I left my body on my bed
    I flew away inside my head
    To dive right through the moon and find
    A perfect world inside my mind
    I want to take you there
    Smiling through your hair

That is why I sing this song
    And why there is a band called Gong
    Voices in our heads are calling
    Ringing bells and singing tales of
    How this world could be
    If only we could learn to melt together
    Make such lovely weather

Maybe we will blow it like in bygone ages
    Maybe we will make it if we care
    You'll be there
    We'll be there - love…

Love is how you live it
    Love is how you give it
    Love is how you make it
    Love is how you take it
    First you make it with your body
    Everything you give to share
    When you come together then you're
    One with lovers everywhere, everywhere…"

I think this is one of the most moving songs ever. And it gives the best idea of who the man was. RIP and thank you David.

"I left my body on my bed
    I flew away inside my head
    To dive right through the moon and find
    A perfect world inside my mind
    I want to take you there
    Smiling through your hair

That is why I sing this song
    And why there is a band called Gong
    Voices in our heads are calling
    Ringing bells and singing tales of
    How this world could be
    If only we could learn to melt together
    Make such lovely weather

Maybe we will blow it like in bygone ages
    Maybe we will make it if we care
    You'll be there
    We'll be there - love…

Love is how you live it
    Love is how you give it
    Love is how you make it
    Love is how you take it
    First you make it with your body
    Everything you give to share
    When you come together then you're
    One with lovers everywhere, everywhere…"

I think this is one of the most moving songs ever. And it gives the best idea of who the man was. RIP and thank you David.
    I sang that to my girls when they were little. They called it the "la la song".
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I sang that to my girls when they were little. They called it the "la la song".

I came to Gong via You then worked backwards via this release then Flying Teapot, Live Gong Etc. then eventually buying everything Gong / Allen / Hillage related that was available at the time.
    Angels Egg has some real gems on it. You is still my fav from the trilogy but Angels Egg is a close second.

Since I am kind of reluctant to search all my Soft Machine music right now, does anyone remember which SM tune is Sold to the Highest Buddha from?

Since I am kind of reluctant to search all my Soft Machine music right now, does anyone remember which SM tune is Sold to the Highest Buddha from?
    ? - Sold to the Highest Buddha from is from Gong: Angels Egg - is it inspired from an SM tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ? - Sold to the Highest Buddha from is from Gong: Angels Egg - is it inspired from an SM tune?
    I am pretty sure I have heard the theme before, I thought it would be common place among you people. I will check, if no one can help.

I am pretty sure I have heard the theme before
    Mike Howlett based the bass-riff (and thus assisting guitar pick) on a small theme off of "Esther's Nose Job" from SM's Volume Two. This, however, was initially lifted from the repeated soprano-sax lick in "Invocation & Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin" from The Mothers of Invention's Absolutely Free, where it was played in 4/4 (as opposed to SM's reworking of it).

And while speaking of the question as to "whether" the MoI exerted influence on progressive rock in general; sectionizing a descriptive narrative title such as "Invocation & Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin" (released in spring 1967)- is there really any doubt?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Well, persistance is sometimes rewarded. Please people confirm that I am not hearing ghosts, and Highest Buddha uses the exact same bass line from Soft Machine's Facelift, introduced at about the 8th minute onwards

This is creditless of course, but I always considered it as some sort of humorous, self-referential hommage to David's Allen past.

To me it is the favourite Gong album...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    To me it is the favourite Gong album...
    Probably mine too, although I reach for You more often. I think it is with Angel's Egg that all the different/disparate Gong components reach a perfect balance. Whereas in You, the David Allen factor is already diminished. Musically You is more cohere but less magic.

Angel's Egg first side is really difficult to grasp, like an introduction piled on an introduction, where nothing really is introduced, a continuous suspension that hangs over..until you turn the side.

Awesome album, although I like You a bit more (which is easier to get into the Flow).

A friend of mine played this one to me, and I remember how I searched all record stores I knew for their albums
    in the very next days.

The trilogy albums always put me on a trip based on nothing else but (positive weird) music....

Doing a radio show the last few years has helped with reconnecting with the collection, because I keep having to come up with stuff to play.

I probably like Flying Teapot and You a bit more on the whole, but the tracks you posted in particular are so strong...
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

This album nears perfection, but the drunken pub tune Givin My Luv sticks out like a sore thumb. I understand its place in the album, but its execution ruins the progress andsmoothness of the music

Who pooped in your rice crispies bowl??

Or a Genesis thread. Because if you don't like their lyrics by some miracle, you have to watch for your life.
    The NC thread is going down normally... didn't read insults or death threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Daevid Allen has moved me like no other
    even in his last appearances (the Canterbury DVD), he was moving me beyond belief...

Only Kantner's (largely unoticed) passing has come (unexpectedly) close to Daevid's going away message
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hippies who actually can play! I rank it just after You.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Would this be a good place to start, along with You? I'm definitely a Gong neophyte.