Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Gong - Angel's Egg

FEATURED ALBUM: Gong - Angel's Egg

Who says you can't find new gems in your own collection? I was spinning Angel's Egg, something I have not heard for at least 10 years, and wow it really hit me like not before. I hear a lot of depth I didn't before not to mention obvious influences on others. Anyway, it's always nice to dive back into your collection and feel like you made a revelation.

Review from ProgArchives:
    In this chapter of the greatest trilogy ever written, one finds Zero The Hero looking for ways to spread the good words taught to him from Planet GonG through this Radio Gnome Invisible, and he meets all sorts in that quest.

Angel's Egg sees two new members replacing Frenchmen Trisch and Moze: Pierre Moerlen and Mike Howlett and now the classic GonG line-up is present. However, unlike the previous Flying Teapot and the following You, the tracks here are fairly short (except for the opening track that clocks in at 8 min) barely exceeding 5 min at best.

Side 1 starts with a rare but superb almost-instrumental that is proof , if need be, that Gong is materful in all area including jazz-rock Canterbury style. All other numbers are very typical GonG athmospheres and climaxing in the Prostitute Poem where Malherbe answers so greatly to Gilly Smyth - delightful and dare I say Orgasmic. Only the drunken pub tune Givin My Luv sticks a bit out but it is short and can be easily skipped.

Side 2 starts with the real treasure of this album: it is the Flute Salad - Inner/Outer Temple suite only to be followed by concert fave Oily Way. Malherbe shows that he also masters the flute and the climaxes created is not only orgasmic but cosmic. Moerlen gives us a peak on future Gong music by putting in his great vibraphone playing in one of the last track. Many different facets of GonG are present in this album making probably their most impressive one ever.

Again for years the superb artwork sleeve had not been sufficiently respected, often suppressing most of the heavenly blue innerfold of the album. Charly Records via their subsidiary Victor label again released a mini-lp reissue (cat# 61173 , pricey but superb and essential for the understanding of this epic) and adjoining for the first time a booklet explainig the story and lyrics. However the extra track of previous reissues is absent, but it was not really adapted to the album. - Trane

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

About as good as it ever gets for Gong, especially if you're looking for a more narrative, song based album. My dad came back from a business trip in Paris with a copy of this. Must have been a funny sight, middle-age businessman asking for any Gong records for his son back in the states.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I hear a lot of depth I didn't before not to mention obvious influences on others.
    Immensely so. Most - if not all - bands on underground European labels (Mystic Stones, Delerium, Colours, Record Heaven, Demi Monde, Orwaschl, Mellow, APM, Woronzow and so on) during the 'neo-psych/prog renaissance' period of 1988-2005' were on one level or another informed by this phase of the Gong journey. If not always so much directly in sound, at least in terms of cultural aesthetics. It's so great to once in a while be willing to Write something positive about one of the more 'popular' old bands, as opposed to spending all my time and energy on those strange and alien artists making music today which isn't even traceable back to any of Phil Collins' boxsets or Wetton's 80s solo releases.

Other than that, Gong are definitely best known for being the band who would go on to sport a member (40 years down the line) who'd attemptively hit on the wife of an unfathomably relevant PE-contributor who attends Cruises to the Edge and whose life was shaped by Heaven and Earth and whose struggle against the oppressive dictatorship of the horrendous snob elitists of taste remains staunch and firm.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I love the Gong but I don't really like David Allen. I also like VDGG, but I hate Peter Hammil's voice. I think Zappa is a genius, but only when he doesn't sing. Or plays the guitars. Or writes music.

Am I allowed to post this here - this meaning my opinion - or is the sign "post only positive comments" on?

I came to Gong via You then worked backwards via this release then Flying Teapot, Live Gong Etc. then eventually buying everything Gong / Allen / Hillage related that was available at the time.
    Angels Egg has some real gems on it. You is still my fav from the trilogy but Angels Egg is a close second.

To me it is the favourite Gong album...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Am I allowed to post this here - this meaning my opinion - or is the sign "post only positive comments" on?
    I'm not sure where you're going with this, but it's not a Flower Kings thread.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but it's not a Flower Kings thread.
    Or a Genesis thread. Because if you don't like their lyrics by some miracle, you have to watch for your life.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    To me it is the favourite Gong album...
    Probably mine too, although I reach for You more often. I think it is with Angel's Egg that all the different/disparate Gong components reach a perfect balance. Whereas in You, the David Allen factor is already diminished. Musically You is more cohere but less magic.

Angel's Egg first side is really difficult to grasp, like an introduction piled on an introduction, where nothing really is introduced, a continuous suspension that hangs over..until you turn the side.

Awesome album, although I like You a bit more (which is easier to get into the Flow).

A friend of mine played this one to me, and I remember how I searched all record stores I knew for their albums
    in the very next days.

The trilogy albums always put me on a trip based on nothing else but (positive weird) music....

Doing a radio show the last few years has helped with reconnecting with the collection, because I keep having to come up with stuff to play.

I probably like Flying Teapot and You a bit more on the whole, but the tracks you posted in particular are so strong...
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

This album nears perfection, but the drunken pub tune Givin My Luv sticks out like a sore thumb. I understand its place in the album, but its execution ruins the progress andsmoothness of the music

Who pooped in your rice crispies bowl??

Or a Genesis thread. Because if you don't like their lyrics by some miracle, you have to watch for your life.
    The NC thread is going down normally... didn't read insults or death threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Daevid Allen has moved me like no other
    even in his last appearances (the Canterbury DVD), he was moving me beyond belief...

Only Kantner's (largely unoticed) passing has come (unexpectedly) close to Daevid's going away message
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hippies who actually can play! I rank it just after You.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Would this be a good place to start, along with You? I'm definitely a Gong neophyte.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Would this be a good place to start, along with You? I'm definitely a Gong neophyte.
    You is simpler to get in their music, but it's also the last of the classic period...

I'd recommend normally Camembert, then follow up chronologically, but that and Teapot can be too WTF albums for an introduction.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    You is simpler to get in their music, but it's also the last of the classic period...

I'd recommend normally Camembert, then follow up chronologically, but that and Teapot can be too WTF albums for an introduction.
    Agreed. My introduction to Gong was Gazeuse! and was more into the PM Gong, jazz-fusion thing. You and Fish Rising were like the crossovers for me. First time I heard Camembert I was disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Judging from what you seem to be liking, yes, You is for you!

First time I heard Camembert I was disappointed.
    It's got the "French 1971 underground" stamp of anarchic rawness all over it. Like Triangle, Alice, Mahjun, Komintern, Lard Free and MGP did. You is a perfectionist yet still exciting and totally adventurous space-rock voyage in every step, but the "raunch" is somewhat absent.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I own the trilogy and enjoyed them a lot. Fun, humorous, and unique. Unfortunately, like Cozy, I haven't played them in a really long time. Time to revisit.

Of the big 4 Daevid Allen Gong albums I probably rank it 4th, but I still think it's very good. Doesn't cohere as well as the other three, IMO, and the sound is a bit muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    the sound is a bit muddy.
    Yes, but this surprisingly serves some aspects of the music exceptionally well, for instance the "jazzy" veneer so present here. "Eat That Phonebook Coda" bumps around those incredible drumfills of Moerlen like some gooey rubbertoy, while the liteness of the side 2 medley owes a lot to that up-front feel of instruments. I actually prefer this to the wider and grander Production values of The Flying Teapot.

Fun stuff! Not quite as good as "Flying Teapot" but great nonetheless. I've never heard "You" but intend to!

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Fun stuff! Not quite as good as "Flying Teapot" but great nonetheless. I've never heard "You" but intend to!
    YOU NEED to hear that album!! A MUST.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I Love Moerlen's playing so much on this album. He has a light jazzy feel when required but then can prog the F out with the best of them.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson