Thread: RIP Craig McGregor (Foghat)

RIP Craig McGregor (Foghat)

Have not seen this mentioned anywhere. Craig passed away last week after a long battle with cancer. He was not an original member, but came into the band at the height of their popularity for the "Foghat Live" album, and was still a current member. Foghat has always been a guilty pleasure band for me. I have everything they ever put out and have seen them more than 15 times over the years.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Craig. I, too, am a long-time Foghat fan.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Yeah, Rock and Roll Outlaws got me started. RIP Craig.
    The older I get, the better I was.

RIP Craig. While I've always sorta liked Foghat & own "Best Of", I'll always feel a big connection to the band because of the day I spent fishing in Maine with "Lonesome" Dave Peverett & Roger Earl when Savoy Brown was touring the US for "Raw Sienna" in 1970.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Foghat kicks ass. RIP.

RIP

I've been thinking of getting at least a Foghat compilation. I really dig the bass on Slow Ride. I've pretty much nailed it on bass. Gotta start somewhere right?

First concert ever:

Foghat & Black Oak Arkansas
    Asbury Park, NJ
    G.A.S -aholic

RIP to a rock n' boogie trouper. And yes, Foghat did kick some ass back in the day.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    RIP

I've been thinking of getting at least a Foghat compilation. I really dig the bass on Slow Ride. I've pretty much nailed it on bass. Gotta start somewhere right?
    Foghat is one of those bands that don't have much in the compilation area. The only ones that I am aware of are "Greatest Hits I" and "Greatest Hits II" (which may be out of print). Between the two they contain all the singles, but could use a re-mastering. I bought the Bearsville Collection Box Set a few years ago which contains their first 13 albums. It is a great collection and sounds really good, but it is a whole lotta Foghat to absorb for a casual fan.

Night Shift, Fool for the City, Live, and Stone Blue were my constant friends in the mid to late '70's and will always remain my go-to Foghat records. Also, Foghat was my first-ever live concert in March of '78. Great, great blues rock band! R.I.P. Craig McGregor. Now you can get on with jamming with Lonesome Dave and Rod Price...

Wow, I had no idea they had 13 albums. Foghat is the consummate Guilty pleasure rock band. I did really like em when they started. I think bands like Ted Nugent and ZZtop kind of ruined that kind of music for me, and I kind of lost track of Foghat. They were definitely a step up in my mind from ZZ(MTV ruined them) and Ted (absolute sucky sucky dumbed down, cave man stinkassrock)

Time for me to go diggin' and get me some Foghat. That was my music when I was 12-13. Nugent came later.

To this day, about the only things I've ever really heard from them are Slow Ride and Fool For The City. I remember there was an early 80's concert (when Kenny Aronson was briefly in the band) that MTV and Nickelodeon showed, but I don't actually remember seeing it, except for the one or two songs MTV aired as videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Wow, I had no idea they had 13 albums. .
    The box set includes "Live" so there are 12 studio albums. The band also did the re-union album "Return Of The Boogie Men" in 1993 and have released three albums since Lonesome Dave's death. "Family Joules" , "Last Train Home" and "Under the Influence". So in total they have 16 studio albums.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    To this day, about the only things I've ever really heard from them are Slow Ride and Fool For The City. I remember there was an early 80's concert (when Kenny Aronson was briefly in the band) that MTV and Nickelodeon showed, but I don't actually remember seeing it, except for the one or two songs MTV aired as videos.
    I could be wrong on this, but I don't remember Kenny Aronson ever being in Foghat. In fact drummer Roger Earl is like the Chris Squire of the band as he has been the only constant member of every incarnation.

^^^ Kenny Aaronson was Foghat's bassist for a couple of years in the 80s. You are correct that Roger Earl has always been in the band.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ Kenny Aaronson was Foghat's bassist for a couple of years in the 80s. You are correct that Roger Earl has always been in the band.
    Oops.......I was thinking of drummer Kenny Aronof. Got my musicians mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ Kenny Aaronson was Foghat's bassist for a couple of years in the 80s.
    I think he did just one tour with them, circa 81 or 82. If I recall correctly, he didn't stay long enough to play on any studio albums, judging from the article I read about him in Guitar Player a few years later. He said Lonesome Dave turned him into a Johnny Cash fan.

Also, I forgot, there was another song that MTV played, a tune called Slipped, Tripped, Fell In Love. As I recall, the video played out like a murder mystery, on a train. So that makes three Foghat songs I've heard.

I think he did just one tour with them, circa 81 or 82. If I recall correctly, he didn't stay long enough to play on any studio albums, judging from the article I read about him in Guitar Player a few years later. He said Lonesome Dave turned him into a Johnny Cash fan.

Also, I forgot, there was another song that MTV played, a tune called Slipped, Tripped, Fell In Love. As I recall, the video played out like a murder mystery, on a train. So that makes three Foghat songs I've heard.
    Foghat’s career was really quite odd in some ways. I saw them for the first time on the “Stone Blue” tour which would have been 78 or 79. Head East was the opening act and it was one hell of a show. They sold out our local hockey arena and had hundreds of people outside milling around who did not have tickets. It was really crazy how popular they were. By the time the song you mention came out, “Slip Tripped Fell In Love” (from the album “In The Mood For Something Rude”) it was only 3 years later, but their star had already fallen considerably. I also saw them on this tour, in the exact same arena, but they were an opening act for someone else, and the arena was only about half full during their set.

I am pretty sure Aaronson joined the following year around 83. I saw them on that tour too, but by then they were back to playing large clubs. They were a band that peaked in popularity for a very short time and fell off the radar just as fast which I always thought was strange.

Here is the video that you mentioned. This album really was not very good and consisted of almost all covers of old blues songs. In fact I think it may be their weakest overall album. I think they did two more after this before they were dropped from a major label contract.

I remember there was an early 80's concert (when Kenny Aronson was briefly in the band) that MTV and Nickelodeon showed
    Nickelodeon had a peculiar selection of music specials - Foghat, Bob Welch, Roger Daltrey (solo), ELO from the Out Of The Blue tour. If it had been 1978, it would have been a good selection but this was around 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Nickelodeon had a peculiar selection of music specials - Foghat, Bob Welch, Roger Daltrey (solo), ELO from the Out Of The Blue tour. If it had been 1978, it would have been a good selection but this was around 1983.
    I also remember them showing concerts from Journey, Split Enz, and I think, Kansas. As I recall those three and the Foghat concert were shot for MTV, which I believe was their sister network at the time, so it would explain why they shared programming.

The Roger Daltrey thing, I believe, was a promo reel for Ride The Rock Horse, which was already a few years old by then. It was just straight performance style music videos for a bunch of songs off the album. And I have this vague memory that there was this weird instrumental accompanied by animation in the middle, which I suspect wasn't actually Daltrey (maybe some sort of "intermission" thing?).

As for ELO, that one was also shown on Night Flight, too. I remember that because one of the first times I tried to stay up late to watch something was that. As I recall, I got through the first song and then I was out like a light. I think that was before I ever saw it on Nickelodeon. Of course, Night Flight weren't afraid to show music that was "past it's due date", as it were. THey showed Genesis In Concert regularly, and I think they also showed Yessongs too.

Nickelodeon's programming in the early days was weird, full stop, anyway. They showed a lot of British and Australian produced sci-fi type stuff. Most famously, they showed The Tomorrow People, but things like Into The Labyrinth and other shows that had only run for a few episodes (and yes, I know it's commonplace for British and Australian series to only run for 6-12 episodes, even successful ones).

They also had this really cool special, about roller coasters. It was a bunch of basically sort of whimsical music videos, each one centered around a single roller coaster, set to various songs. Each one was introduced by Matt Dillon (remember him?) talking about each coaster, and how it was the biggest, baddest, bestest in the land or whatever. The music? It was a hodge podge of Stones (Paint It, Black), The Who (You), The Cars (Don't Ya Stop), Hendrix (Fire), Steve Miller Band (Livin' In The USA), and I think there might have been one or two others. I remember MTV airing the Livin' In The USA and Paint It Black clips on their Closet Classics show, too.

And so on.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 02-23-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Nickelodeon's programming in the early days was weird, full stop, anyway. They showed a lot of British and Australian produced sci-fi type stuff.
    Children Of The Stones

I remember in the days before MTV you used to see concerts on Nick. I remember an Ian Hunter/Mick Ronson concert that was filmed in Cleveland. Of course, "Cleveland Rocks" was particularly insane.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Children Of The Stones
    Yeah, that was one of the ones Nickelodeon showed. They had several that they showed as a sort of an omnibus thing called The Third Eye.

I also remember Nickelodeon showing an Aussie movie called Avengers Of The Reef (I don't actually remember the title, but what I can find on IMDB and Wikipedia suggests that's the one I'm thinking of).
    I remember in the days before MTV you used to see concerts on Nick. I remember an Ian Hunter/Mick Ronson concert that was filmed in Cleveland. Of course, "Cleveland Rocks" was particularly insane.
    Lucky you. We didn't get cable TV until the summer of 82, by which time, MTV was already in full swing. Now that I think about it, I remember Nickelodeon showing a very early Police concert, too, though I think they only showed it a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Have not seen this mentioned anywhere. Craig passed away last week after a long battle with cancer. He was not an original member, but came into the band at the height of their popularity for the "Foghat Live" album, and was still a current member. Foghat has always been a guilty pleasure band for me. I have everything they ever put out and have seen them more than 15 times over the years.
    No such thing as a guilty pleasure for me. I have Foghat through Stone Blue and Return of the Boogie Men and all the live albums.. I can't into the Charlie Huhn version. I've tried. saw them twice. the last time, I made eye contact with Dave. I treasure that. I just got Two Centuries of Boogie on DVD.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    RIP Craig. While I've always sorta liked Foghat & own "Best Of", I'll always feel a big connection to the band because of the day I spent fishing in Maine with "Lonesome" Dave Peverett & Roger Earl when Savoy Brown was touring the US for "Raw Sienna" in 1970.
    That's it! Foghat is meant for fishing. Period!