Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Todd Rundgren's Utopia Tour!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Did they play that short version of "The Ikon" or did Todd do the right thing and play all 30 minutes of it?
    Judging by the 2-hour show length and the long setlist posted on setlist.fm, I doubt the full version of The Ikon was played, although from watching some of the clips it looks like the full version of the Utopia Theme was played.

Speaking of the setlist, I don't think I could ask for more. Very excited for the show in a couple weeks.

Monday night for me!

Looks like the setlist only skips one album....Probably the one you'd most expect them to skip, but it would be fun to hear something from it.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Looks like the setlist only skips one album....Probably the one you'd most expect them to skip, but it would be fun to hear something from it.
    Which album? Ra? They played Communion of the Sun.

^ Deface the Music

I suppose I was hoping for another cut or two from RA instead of the 2 from POV
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    ^ Deface the Music

I suppose I was hoping for another cut or two from RA instead of the 2 from POV
    I always forget about that album.

As for more tracks from Ra, I'm just glad they're not playing Hiroshima. That might be the worst song in TR's catalog. IMO of course.

I love Hiroshima

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

If you were there you wouldn't.

6/4,Monday night,Crest Theater,Sacramento,Ca we made it in but we are in nosebleed heaven. Good news is nobody can sit behind us we got a wall.

Backs to the WALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    6/4,Monday night,Crest Theater,Sacramento,Ca we made it in but we are in nosebleed heaven. Good news is nobody can sit behind us we got a wall.
    And you can stand all night to your hearts content without worrying about blocking someone's view behind you.

A little rusty opening night, and Kasim didn't seem totally on form vocally, but I'm sure it will get better and better. Not a bad setlist - Something's Coming and Do Ya could make way for a couple of originals, but I guess they are there for a little levity and contrast.

Night two is already sounding better...

20180420_201231.jpg20180420_201418.jpg
    Just getting home from Joisey, great show! I avoided this thread the past few days so I went in unaware of the setlist. Obviously I knew several tunes they'd play, was surprised they started off with the two instrumentals; nice long Utopia Theme > abbreviated Ikon. Biggest surprise was no Caravan. Defo would've allowed the new keyboardist to shine. Willie sounded amazing, as powerful as ever on the drums and vocally excellent too when he sang. Kasim started a bit hoarse, but ended strong. Love In Action was great. Todd was God again. He was really on top of his game sounding strong vocally and wailing away on his solo's all night. Just didn't jump and spin around at the end of Just One Victory as he's always done in the past, including last year during his Yestival set. As a whole, not bad for only their second gig, can't wait a few more weeks for the city Town Hall show. As stated earlier here, a slew of great seats were released a few hours before showtime. I had a ninth row center seat that I bought a week ago, but since half the 8th row was now available and didn't sell prior to showtime (note- Utopia went on exactly at the stated 8pm start, played 1 hour, took a half hour break and played another hour), I took a few seats there and spread out! Great packed house full of Utopians giving plenty of love to the band. They seemed to get quite moved near the end by all the loud ovations and everyone on their feet singing and dancing along for the last 3 or 4 songs. The hour bus ride each way was so worth it!
    RA, RA, RA!!!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Next Friday for me in Tampa, can't wait. Saw the original lineup in Fort Pierce Fla a few years ago and I find it hard to believe that this incarnation could be better, but this is Todd! Back then it was the whole Icon along with the best Utopia songs IMO. I will see soon enough, but I know that I will not be disappointed . The guy is the pride of America, most prolific.

Had to believe Todd will be 70 in a couple months. The new 50, in his case...

Out of issues came a great new keyboardist. I suspected whoever it was might be a badassed MF and Gil surely is. I think we will wind up with a better show than if they had Ralph. I've seen him with the original Utopia and he was sort of like Tony Kaye to Moogy Klingman's Wakeman. Good but I think Gil has more to offer and so far is doing great.

Well Sean you know Todd isn't going to have just any ole scrub up there to the music justice. I do agree with your take on this, though I haven't yet to see it. This Friday wont come soon enough!!

Tomorrow night for me! Who else is in Dallas to see this?

http://variety.com/2018/music/news/t..._medium=social

Great new interview with the guys^^^

Wow! Last night's show in Atlanta was smokin'! They are sounding tight now and vocally were super strong too. The new keyboardist, Gil, is one heck of a find. He nailed the parts all night with a youthful enthusiasm. He had all those great analog tones dialed in and played some slick solos. Good singer too! I hope they work with him again. Out of tragedy (I hope Ralph is getting better) came a great new player that I think that is now on our radar. Gotta say, the rhythm section of Willie Wilcox and Kasim is a lot more compelling than the one with Prairie. Different band I know, but I've seen PP play some of this stuff and he's ok, but WW had more spark, methinks. Todd was really dialed in and ripping on guitar. This is the best I've heard him vocally in awhile too. Really, the best performance I have seen from him yet. When he's done his homework and got it all under his fingers he conjures up the TR from 1/2 a lifetime ago still. And he's reached that point on this tour. He defies being 70! He moved like a guy 1/2 is age. Kas sounded great as well. If you have a chance to see this tour, DON'T MISS IT! The first set of the earlier prog stuff is really satisfying and the second set of pop numbers is fun stuff. Here's a few pics. That giant screen behind them was awesome and the visuals really went great with the music.

20180428_191922.jpg20180428_201322.jpg20180428_204624.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Wow! Last night's show in Atlanta was smokin'! They are sounding tight now and vocally were super strong too. The new keyboardist, Gil, is one heck of a find. He nailed the parts all night with a youthful enthusiasm. He had all those great analog tones dialed in and played some slick solos. Good singer too! I hope they work with him again. Out of tragedy (I hope Ralph is getting better) came a great new player that I think that is now on our radar. Gotta say, the rhythm section of Willie Wilcox and Kasim is a lot more compelling than the one with Prairie. Different band I know, but I've seen PP play some of this stuff and he's ok, but WW had more spark, methinks. Todd was really dialed in and ripping on guitar. This is the best I've heard him vocally in awhile too. Really, the best performance I have seen from him yet. When he's done his homework and got it all under his fingers he conjures up the TR from 1/2 a lifetime ago still. And he's reached that point on this tour. He defies being 70! He moved like a guy 1/2 is age. Kas sounded great as well. If you have a chance to see this tour, DON'T MISS IT! The first set of the earlier prog stuff is really satisfying and the second set of pop numbers is fun stuff. Here's a few pics. That giant screen behind them was awesome and the visuals really went great with the music.
    That's great to hear. My biggest disappointment in missing this tour is not seeing Todd play guitar....
    <sig out of order>

Totally psyched for Utopia tomorrow night at the Paramount. Didn’t even know of the tour until my cousin asked me 2 weeks ago. Glad he did.