Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Saw Marillion Twice Over The Weekend - Spoilers

I drove 6.5 hours to Grand Rapids and about 5 hours to the Arcada (same trip) to see 2 stellar shows. Sometimes it just has to be done.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm thrilled to read all the positive feedback. I love H's singing since first seeing the band around 1990. Marillion is a powerful and captivating band live with a strong emotional resonance thanks to H. I like Fish but haven't played the early music in decades. I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing the band at 2 Marillion weekends in Montreal. I managed to grab balcony seats most the the weekends and H was so charismatic on stage and the rest of the band, particularly Rothery (one of my favourite guitarists). In fact, Marillion is a top 10 band for me.

I'm waiting for another possible Marillion weekend in Montreal, a city the bands just loves.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm waiting for another possible Marillion weekend in Montreal, a city the bands just loves.
    It’s been confirmed there will be one in Montreal next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I was a huge Fish era Marillion fan, so I was a total skeptic when he left. When the band released “Season’s End” I liked it, but Fish had been such a charismatic performer that I went into my first show with Hogarth at the helm thinking there was no way he could live up. This was the “Seasons End” tour and I remember distinctly walking away from that show being totally impressed and thinking the band was still great. In many ways Hogarth could not be any more different than Fish, but he has a different kind of charisma that totally works. I have always thought that Marillion was a band needed to be experienced live to really understand, and I still think that today.
    I had the same feeling in '90. He really emoted out those Season's End songs and lived up to and had his own interesting take on the Fish material. He was so young and attractive too that I thought it was kind of weird in a good way that he had a bit of "appeal" doing music that even in the early 90's was getting long in the tooth to certain people.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    This statement sums it up perfectly. Agree 1000%! Honestly, after hearing this band's material & seeing numerous DVD shows from various time periods, I don't think my level of appreciation was ever up to what it is now after having seen them live for the first time. I knew they were good... just didn't know they were THAT good.
    I kind of get this but while Marillion are into what they're doing and are enthusiastic, only h really moves around the stage and they don't change the studio versions all that much-it's not like one show will be so different from another like say the Grateful Dead. I guess it's the tunes, the energy and h's portrayal that makes it special.

So even though I'm from New Jersey I figure let's check out Marillion in Grand Rapids on this tour as we'd never been to Michigan. So my wife and I get a great seat in the upper mezzanine. The whole drive my wife and I were arguing about Fish vs. h as has been our running joke for 2 decades. We grab dinner and go to the show. So during "El Dorado" my wife gets all in my face about how much better h is and all that and I'd just about had it. We get in this massive argument between Steve Sly and Doc Progger and she takes off. She then comes back and takes the keys and drives back to Jersey without me! She's a very unstable woman.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    So even though I'm from New Jersey I figure let's check out Marillion in Grand Rapids on this tour as we'd never been to Michigan. So my wife and I get a great seat in the upper mezzanine. The whole drive my wife and I were arguing about Fish vs. h as has been our running joke for 2 decades. We grab dinner and go to the show. So during "El Dorado" my wife gets all in my face about how much better h is and all that and I'd just about had it. We get in this massive argument between Steve Sly and Doc Progger and she takes off. She then comes back and takes the keys and drives back to Jersey without me! She's a very unstable woman.
    Ha.....got a good laugh out of that! I know who you are though, so knew it was not you.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It’s been confirmed there will be one in Montreal next year.
    Awesome, thanks for letting me know.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Fantastic!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^ This was hilarious. It would be interesting if we found out who the Punch & Judy couple was...

I forgot to mention in my review of the Arcada show in St. Charles IL, that Ron, the owner there, has a nice little merch shop in the theater (separate from the band's merch table) that sells various things related to their shows, including copies of the show handbills which they use to advertise the show. They are very well done little posters and usually sell for 5 or 10 bucks, with some autographed ones which are more expensive. So I got the Marillion one (unsigned), which is a nice little souvenir of the show. Wish more venues did that.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I forgot to mention in my review of the Arcada show in St. Charles IL, that Ron, the owner there, has a nice little merch shop in the theater (separate from the band's merch table) that sells various things related to their shows, including copies of the show handbills which they use to advertise the show. They are very well done little posters and usually sell for 5 or 10 bucks, with some autographed ones which are more expensive. So I got the Marillion one (unsigned), which is a nice little souvenir of the show. Wish more venues did that.
    That is a cool idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That is a cool idea.
    Yeah, it is cool, would like to see what they looked like.

Heartening to see people finally discovering the wonder that is live Marillion.

I think I found out about Fish leaving through Kerrang! I knew things were going to be all right as soon as Rothery kicks in during The King Of Sunset Town.

Vigil was a slow burner and I didn't take to ir right away, but it became a staple about 9 months after release.