Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a future for YES? or NO?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    The last truly great YES album was?
    Are you only interested in bands while they're putting out "truly great" albums? I'm interested in bands while they're releasing (or playing live) good music. I'd love another "truly great" album from Yes (or King Crimson, or whoever), but if there's some good tracks, some moments of greatness, then my £8.99 was well spent.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I suppose those who hang on to the past, haven't found new music to listen to invest their time and money into, don't care who is in the band, and/or are the die-hard fans who would consider Heaven and Earth the 2014 AotY would be Yes' audience going forward.
    What a bizarre stereotype. How much music do you listen to? I'm perfectly able to listen to recent Yes and a dozen new bands and a dozen other old bands.

There are bands whose past work I love, but where I've lost interest in them as continuing entities (e.g., for me, Rush, King Crimson, Gong), so I understand someone feeling the same about Yes. But I don't presume that Rush/Crimson/Gong fans of today are hanging on to the past or haven't found new music etc. I just presume they like somewhat different things to me.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Lucky Man
    There never was much love for Magnification...

...until it had been out for some time at any rate...

A party many of us were late to...
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    There never was much love for Magnification...

...until it had been out for some time at any rate...

A party many of us were late to...
    I thought Magnification got raves here and elsewhere when it was released? It's true that it wasn't a commercial success, but I always thought it was a well regarded album.

As for the state of Yes(s) today, I have no interest anymore. The last time I saw a great Yes concert was in 2000 for the Masterworks tour. Saw them with Benoit David and with Jon Davison and I wasn't moved at all. I'm glad others get joy from what they are doing today, but I'm just not one of them. Hated Heaven and Earth and only sporadically enjoyed any studio albums from the past 20 years. Still love those old albums though.

There's little future, 'cause all the members of both Yes and PE are going to die.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Lucky Man
    Well, yeah...

...all fourteen of us bought it...

lol

What I remember about Magnification, other than it's vastly overlooked excellence was it's odd kinship with the events of 9/11/01 - it's release weirdly coincided - somehow the album, certainly recorded well before, seemed to sound like this is what it was about.

We Agree in particular, but somehow the entire album...

...sounded/sounds like 9/11...

To me at any rate. Especially now, looking back.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

If Steve Howe (or whomever) would replace the banished and past away members with jaw-dropping amazing musicians who performed YES better than ever, even adding new life to the music, then by all means the band could continue even after Mr. Howe has retired to the great guitar shop in the sky.

With the 2nd tier players he has now, I won't be going again. Once I walk out of a concert, I never return.

As you have, I've watched members of YES come and go so many times, it gets difficult to keep up.
    But with each line-up, they provided something unique and with quality.
    However, YES died with the passing of Mr. Squire.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    As you have, I've watched members of YES come and go so many times, it gets difficult to keep up.
    For example, if you look at baseball teams, they go on and on. The 1952 NY Yankees became today's lineup, but they all put on the pinstripes.
    I think there is a legitimate argument moving forward for that model.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    I don't agree, Billy Sherwood plays Squire's bass lines brilliantly and Squire wanted them to carry on. That's legit enough for me.

For example, if you look at baseball teams, they go on and on. The 1952 NY Yankees became today's lineup, but they all put on the pinstripes.
    Isn't that the model keeping The Enid going? I know little about them - how do Enid fans feel about the band continuing without Godfrey, with a handful of musicians with less than 5-10 years service?

if the rights somehow pass to billy Sherwood I think we can assume yes will be around for awhile. and I am not against that either I think it is a cool idea a band continuing on adding people as needed. whether or not that is a commercial possibility will be seen but I feel like the crowds coming out for yes a good chunk of them do not know/care the exact makeup of the band, main question is do they have enough fans of my age (turning 30 this year) to maintain decent crowd sizes or will the impending death of the original fans doom them.

Yes! this would be a good thing IMO - If I had written music good enough to be considered "classic" I would want it to continue as long as it can and far past my own mortality. Getting to the point of being a known band is really tough - especially today. Where YES could be a multi-generational commodity. If the musicians replacing the old retired nd dead ones are talented enough to play Yes' music, I would think it may be in their interest to continue writing new Yes material. Most successful bands are incorporated. Why does the corporation have to stop once the musicians do? THis is also true for Rush. THey should become a label and start putting out like-minded Rush-like material - the organization is already there, why destroy what you have built up over decades? If it doesn't work, It would die. I guess that would be the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Isn't that the model keeping The Enid going? I know little about them - how do Enid fans feel about the band continuing without Godfrey, with a handful of musicians with less than 5-10 years service?
    That is something I'm wondering about as well. But I'm curious how it will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Are you only interested in bands while they're putting out "truly great" albums?

Henry
    Absolutely. I value my time, and with so much great music to listen to, I have no time for anything less than the very best output of a band. Maybe others have more time to burn.

For example, if you look at baseball teams, they go on and on. The 1952 NY Yankees became today's lineup, but they all put on the pinstripes..

But they don't go out and re-stage ballgames from 1952.

With rock bands it's still largely a matter of who's onstage, audiences for the most part want to hear some semblance of the lineup they love. While some bands (Kiss, Chicago, to some extent Yes) are moving toward all-replacement lineups, I would bet that none of those bands will be able to entirely lose the familiar faces and still play headline shows.

Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis all started by living in the shadow of their own influences and inspirations. And in time they found their own voices, forged their own paths. They left those influences in the dust.

Any truly creative individual would be out of their minds to step into someone else's framework, especially a band whose fanbase are so rigid in their definition of the band and a sound. IMHO it's anathema.

Yes will continue as long as Howe & Anderson have the stamina left in them, and as long as their aging fanbase is able to continue paying to see them perform. Once they both retire, it'll be tribute bands. At some point, the fanbase will age out for those as well. Folks here may care strongly, even passionately about this but outside these walls...Yes is already mostly in the past.

Yes was a remarkable band decades ago, and has continued to bring joy to many fans even recently (both RealYes and ARWYes). They've earned their spot in the long book of Rock N' Roll. But nothing lasts forever, and in due time Yes will end, just like every other band has.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    It's not overly comparable, due to major differences in the artistic matter involved - i.e. the music itself. The Enid were essentially always an electroacoustic ensemble performing strictly through-composed charts of 'post-modern', orchestrated material. Although its performance was often tightly identified with the eccentric band leader, any apt musician would theoretically fit in executing it from a stage - and the audiences were pretty squarely in it for the specifics of the sound.

Yes have by and large been a rock group playing refined and sometimes fairly adventurous rock music, a pop-cultural medium which is exclusively connected to the acting performance and thus the "emotion" at play. As such, not only the quality but the very purpose of carrying on rests with the subjects present.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I can't help but wonder...Would it change people's minds if, by some miracle, the current band DID come out with something along the lines of the next CLOSE TO THE EDGE? A mind-blowing album that was new and creative, pretty much universally loved AND commercially successful? Would this give more validity to the current lineup? Or would the majority of folks who now say they should call it a day or change their name still feel the same way?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's not overly comparable, due to major differences in the artistic matter involved - i.e. the music itself. The Enid were essentially always an electroacoustic ensemble performing strictly through-composed charts of 'post-modern', orchestrated material. Although its performance was often tightly identified with the eccentric band leader, any apt musician would theoretically fit in executing it from a stage - and the audiences were pretty squarely in it for the specifics of the sound.

Yes have by and large been a rock group playing refined and sometimes fairly adventurous rock music, a pop-cultural medium which is exclusively connected to the acting performance and thus the "emotion" at play. As such, not only the quality but the very purpose of carrying on rests with the subjects present.
    But if The Enid will produce new music, without any involvement of Robert John Godfrey, one might wonder if it's still The Enid. If Robert John Godfrey keeps composing and let others do the performing it would be a different kettle of fish. Just like King Crimson is just Robert Fripp with whatever musicians he plays with and Camel has become Andy Latimer with the musicians he selects, The Enid is basicly Robert John Godfrey. But who needs Yes, to be Yes? Some would say Jon Anderson, though he doesn't sing on Drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    But if The Enid will produce new music, without any involvement of Robert John Godfrey, one might wonder if it's still The Enid. If Robert John Godfrey keeps composing and let others do the performing it would be a different kettle of fish. Just like King Crimson is just Robert Fripp with whatever musicians he plays with and Camel has become Andy Latimer with the musicians he selects,.

The two bands I can name who have gone on without their leaders are Gong and Tangerine Dream. But both have relatively small, devoted audiences who accept (to some extent) that the spirit of the band is continuing with different people. Both bands operate within a fairly small niche-- It seems a bigger stretch for a more mainstream band to pull this kind of thing off, or even want to. .

Very good posts here.

This year many artists from the 60-70's golden era have announced farewell tours or no longer are touring, period.
    The list is quite large: Paul Simon, Elton John, Neil Diamond, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Police, Saga, Tragically Hip and so on...
    ELP, Jethro Tull, Supertramp, Led Zeppelin, Gentle Giant, Genesis, Rush, are no more.

And like one post said, the classic bands that remain are mostly running still with replacements (on three cylinders) and 2-3 at the most original members such as:
    Styx, Chicago, Kiss, Camel, Toto, now Utopia, Focus, Marillion, Journey, Santana and of course, Yes (the only one split in two camps).

Alan White could be very well on his last tour and if Steve Howe retires, it sure looks like Billy Sherwood will carry the torch for say, 5 more years?
    And another post mentioned the unstoppable retirement of older fans which is logical, that would leave the generation X fans that are not too many to keep supporting Yes if it goes that far.

As John Wetton & Asia said: Only Time will Tell.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Yes has a future as long as people buy tickets based on name only. They're no different than other classic rock bands who tour with one or two founding members and a bunch of journeyman. At this point it's all buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Alan White could be very well on his last tour and if Steve Howe retires, it sure looks like Billy Sherwood will carry the torch for say, 5 more years?
    And another post mentioned the unstoppable retirement of older fans which is logical, that would leave the generation X fans that are not too many to keep supporting Yes if it goes that far.

As John Wetton & Asia said: Only Time will Tell.
    I will go out to see a band without any of the original members - if they play great songs - like Close to the edge - why would you not go see great music performed? - as opposed to staying home. Thats my thought. If Billy Does carry it on, what are the chances Jon Anderson could join back up with him? It is conceivable that the split thingy could get better. - It could happen. I am all for keeping the fires burning until there are no more tickets selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    There's little future, 'cause all the members of both Yes and PE are going to die.
    Not me! Cause I'm taking 250mg of NR a day.