Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Starcastle?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Are we being serious here?
    Yes. Yes has lots of outstanding lyrics (along with the occasional liver-induced clunker):

Don't surround yourself with yourself.

The promise will come when the promise is made.

We relieve the tension only to find out the master's name.

Like leaves we touched, we danced; we once knew the story.

Like the time I ran away, turned around and you were standing close to me.

In contrast, I can think of only one memorable Starcastle lyric, from the second album, about "gathering the voices at hand."

If there's no members now from their recorded output they should probably just re-name themselves. They wouldn't have any pressure to sound a certain way then.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    If there's no members now from their recorded output they should probably just re-name themselves. They wouldn't have any pressure to sound a certain way then.

You know... I kinda have to agree here. Because then it almost becomes an "Asia: Featuring John Payne" kind of thing, just feeding off a name... although in a much lessor content.

Having an established band name is a huge benefit to getting the word out of your new release. It's something no easily walked away from. I recall getting all excited on a cruise ship to hear that the supremes were there. Turns out it was a band that had purchased the name from the label and were doing a Dianna Ross imitation routine, with zero relationship to the actual band. It was a bunch of old hags trying to cash in. At least Starcastle was somewhat related to the original band. Clearly, Bruce had a working relationship with Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Having an established band name is a huge benefit to getting the word out of your new release. It's something no easily walked away from.
    Very true. Just glance through the first page of this thread and everyone is pretty excited! One person even wants them to headline ROSFest next year! All of that without knowing who is actually in the band.

At least Starcastle was somewhat related to the original band. Clearly, Bruce had a working relationship with Gary.
    This is true - I don't think anyone was asserting that Botts or Harp weren't in the band at some point. They both had a hand in that 2011 Starcastle release - along with many of the original members though. But - if this incarnation doesn't involve anyone from those original four albums, it is clearly treading in Asia Featuring Payne waters. I am still interested - but definitely want to hear something before getting too excited.

Quote Originally Posted by SongForAmerica View Post
    Yes. Yes has lots of outstanding lyrics (along with the occasional liver-induced clunker):

Don't surround yourself with yourself.

The promise will come when the promise is made.

We relieve the tension only to find out the master's name.

Like leaves we touched, we danced; we once knew the story.

Like the time I ran away, turned around and you were standing close to me.

OK, different strokes, then. Those examples don't really work for me, and even so, they're lines in a large body of work. I've always thought Yes' lyrics are mostly hippy twaddle, often incoherent, and generally among the worst ever in rock. No problem with you liking them, we just may be looking for different things.

Ok - no members from the original four albums are involved here. This was posted today on the Starcastle Facebook:

Thanks for all your replies and positive encouraging comments. To respond to some of your questions. George Harp and Bruce Botts wrote, recorded and performed with Gary Strater (the only founding member at that time) in Starcastle when the band was based in San Francisco, CA in the 1980’s along with drummer Scott McKenzie. Bruce and George are the two Starcastle members moving forward at this time. They are co-writers with Gary of 6 songs that were recorded on the last official Starcastle release “Song of Times” (Red Season, Faces of Change, Children, Islands, Babylon and Master Machine).

“Song of Times” was initiated by Gary in the late 90’s - he wanted to include everyone who had been a member of Starcastle on that album. Also, there are 5 unreleased songs written by Strater/Botts/Harp from the California time period (including “Hearts” which had received regional air play) that we intend to release this year (a collection taken from rehearsals, live performances & demos). We are planning some shows with the new lineup at some point and will keep everyone posted. Thanks to everyone.

^^^ I am "wait and see" as far as buying any physical product. But when I think about it, this whole thing is just weird. Asia FJP is a valid analogy, but... Asia were the biggest band on the planet for a year or two. And AFJP still cannot get any gigs!

Starcastle were never more than an opening act; only the first LP made the Billboard top 100. So what is the benefit of the Starcastle name? They might sell an extra 50 cds because of it? And the 50 people who do buy just based on the name will likely be pissed off once they see none of the original band on there.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

The reality is, with absolutely no original members left in this project, it becomes a Starcastle tribute band and I'm much less interested. Good luck to these guys putting out a Starcastle related album, which I will take a wait and see approach on. In the meantime, probably not a band ready to headline a major prog festival.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Perhaps "Rainbows and Unicorns" is the perfect title for the new Starcastle album...

^^^ My daughter (12yrs) might buy a copy of the CD if that was the album cover. Dad, what am I supposed to do with the round silver thing inside?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    The reality is, with absolutely no original members left in this project, it becomes a Starcastle tribute band and I'm much less interested. Good luck to these guys putting out a Starcastle related album, which I will take a wait and see approach on. In the meantime, probably not a band ready to headline a major prog festival.
    Are you saying that you would not go see a band doing exclusive Starcastle material? Lady of the lake, Elliptical Seasons, Fountains, Shine on brightly? - I'd go see that in 5 seconds. I understand they are the not originals, Its as close as I am ever going to get to seeing it. So, lets have something from them and see what it brings. But I would love to hear a live band doing Starcastle music. I'd be singing along like its the real thing, I would enjoy it and I would be happy to pay the price of admission. I first heard these guys as a junior in High school. That would be a great trip down memory lane.

Are you saying that you would not go see a band doing exclusive Starcastle material? Lady of the lake, Elliptical Seasons, Fountains, Shine on brightly? - I'd go see that in 5 seconds. I understand they are the not originals, Its as close as I am ever going to get to seeing it. So, lets have something from them and see what it brings. But I would love to hear a live band doing Starcastle music. I'd be singing along like its the real thing, I would enjoy it and I would be happy to pay the price of admission. I first heard these guys as a junior in High school. That would be a great trip down memory lane.
    Having no knowledge right now of who these guys are, and what their intentions are live, like I said I'd take a wait and see approach. I love Starcastles first few albums, and if these guys are going to play that stuff live I'd certainly be interested. But it wouid still be in essence a tribute band. If they are putting out an album of new stuff, my guess would be they would primarily play that live.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Having no knowledge right now of who these guys are, and what their intentions are live, like I said I'd take a wait and see approach. I love Starcastles first few albums, and if these guys are going to play that stuff live I'd certainly be interested. But it wouid still be in essence a tribute band. If they are putting out an album of new stuff, my guess would be they would primarily play that live.
    If they only played their new stuff I would be very dissapointed. That pretty much would be just using the name, and not carrying on the banner for the band name. I dont even think thats being a "cover band" If there is nothing to pay tribute to, they would not even be that. At least "The Supremes" sang the same songs. Not well, but they obviously gave it their (not too good) best.

Having an established band name is a huge benefit to getting the word out of your new release. It's something no easily walked away from. I recall getting all excited on a cruise ship to hear that the supremes were there. Turns out it was a band that had purchased the name from the label and were doing a Dianna Ross imitation routine, with zero relationship to the actual band. It was a bunch of old hags trying to cash in.
    I bet one of them was Lynda Lawrence, a former backing singer for Stevie Wonder who was a Supreme for a few months while Cindy Birdsong was off on maternity leave. She’s been exploiting her tiny shred of fame ever since.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Reality is, we are all getting older, and fast...
    If a Starcastle band has no original members but shows a connection to, and is staying true to the concept of the original; playing old and newly created songs as Starcastle, I would say that we should accept that if we are fans. However, if another band shows up with original members doing the same, then pass the asprin but at the same time rejoice more great music! (terrible grammar here... I know)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Today, for the first time, I listened to some 80s Starcastle. There are several live videos on YT. I don't believe any of this material has had any proper release. First of all, it is good. Pressure Points era Camel would be a good comparison. Second, I can see why they didn't get a deal. It is not in-your-face enough for the 80s, and isn't built around hooks & choruses the way most successful 80s pop/rock was. Studio-quality recordings might improve my impression. Third, among the 7 or 8 tunes on YT none is 70s era; it is all "new" material. So there seems to be little connection between the 80s group and the classic repertoire.

If Harp and Botts want to record these old tunes now for posterity, so their version of the band is not completely forgotten, and put them out as "Starcastle" why not? they were in the band for 5 years or so. My guess is that is what this project is all about. But if they want to start playing Lady of the Lake for some reason, that is just weird...
    Last edited by arturs; 02-24-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I agree. I think Celestial Palace, Asteroid Abode, Comet Cabana, and House of Nebula are all still available.

Wow. I just listened to a couple of Starcastle albums after not hearng them for years. It's like they're tripping on Lucky Charms. The lyrics are beyond silly. The playing, with the exception of the VERY dated keyboard sounds, is very good although extremely derivative. The singing is also very dervative to the point of it being irritating. I don't know how they could have tracked the vocals without laughing about the absurdity of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    It's like they're tripping on Lucky Charms. The lyrics are beyond silly...
    Exactly! I too have been listening to them again after a long while. I just finished playing their 2nd album Fountains of Light a few minutes ago. It's an undeniably fun record, but I realized why I had put it away for so long - it's an unending smorgasbord of unrelenting major chord sugar. And those lyrics! Gawd, they easily have been outtakes of a Spinal Tap writing session... and yet...I really do like it.

True. At times it's like Jon Anderson crossed with Teletubbies. But I can't look away.

^^^ Yep. Pure cotton candy prog. I can't listen to Starcastle too often because of that. But when I'm in the right mood their music scratches an itch no one else can. I was listening to the s/t debut last night and my daughter commented how much she liked it--not often she says anything like that about my music!

Anyone know why George Harp didn't sing on Song Of Times?

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Anyone know why George Harp didn't sing on Song Of Times?
    Gary and I very much wanted George to sing on the record for a number of reasons. Among them, he has an incredible voice, he wrote the songs with Gary and I and so knew how to properly sing them, he was a very dear friend and he was a member of the band for years. Unfortunately George had a number of other commitments and was simply going to be unavailable for an extended period of time.