Thread: "Blue Monday" by New Order

"Blue Monday" by New Order

It's 30 years old, it heralded a whole new era of music...&, according to Peter Saville, who designed the iconic cover of the (12") single, it is " the principal moment of conversion between progressive rock and dance." ( http://guardian.co.uk/culture/2013/f...de-blue-monday)

Anyone else share this perspective on Blue Monday?

I own a copy of the single, in the cover as it was designed by Saville - & it was one of the defining records of my late youth/early adulthood. I think by the time it came out, I'd more or less moved on from prog - I certainly didn't think at the time that it had anything to do with prog (you couldn't *dance* to prog!), but the lens of history casts things in different hues...

(love Gillian's story about how that definitive out-of-syncness of the beat with the synth rhythm came about)

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    " the principal moment of conversion between progressive rock and dance."

Love it but I don't see it like that at all. For me it was one of the first post-punk pop records that showcased a new type of dancea pop, as opposed to the post-punk awkward,miserable rock of many other New Wave bands.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    It's 30 years old, it heralded a whole new era of music...&, according to Peter Saville, who designed the iconic cover of the (12") single, it is " the principal moment of conversion between progressive rock and dance." ( http://guardian.co.uk/culture/2013/f...de-blue-monday)

Anyone else share this perspective on Blue Monday?

I own a copy of the single, in the cover as it was designed by Saville - & it was one of the defining records of my late youth/early adulthood. I think by the time it came out, I'd more or less moved on from prog - I certainly didn't think at the time that it had anything to do with prog (you couldn't *dance* to prog!), but the lens of history casts things in different hues...

(love Gillian's story about how that definitive out-of-syncness of the beat with the synth rhythm came about)
    I too have the original 12".

I still remember the first time I heard this on the dancefloor of a club. Amongst all the "You Dropped a Bomb on Me's" and "Celebration"'s came this...this...this THING. It sounded like nothing before in the world of dance music.

A minor key? Lyrics about a painful breakup, not about dancing and sex? I stood there stunned...was that a MELLOTRON? (actually, no. But kinda close.)

I was a huge NO fan in the 80s and this was the one that started it all.

Still and always a classic.

"Tell me how does it feel, when your heart grows cold. Tell me how does it feel, tell me now how does it feel?"

Perfect breakup song. Perfect.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post

I still remember the first time I heard this on the dancefloor of a club. Amongst all the "You Dropped a Bomb on Me's" and "Celebration"'s came this...this...this THING. It sounded like nothing before in the world of dance music.
    This is exactly my memory - nothing had sounded like this before - & nothing would ever be quite the same again.

I guess I'm always quite interested when folk who were part of a time, back then, which was defined by its disdain for all things prog, should make comments such as the one I quoted from Saville - there doesn't appear to be any ulterior motive for him saying this, so in some way or other it must be pretty much what he genuinely thinks - & I just think it's a pretty intriguing take on a remarkable record.

The only song of theirs I like that much of the ones I know. Never thought of it as prog.

I think of it as "progressive" but not "prog," in the sense that it broke a barrier or two but doesn't share all that much in common with so-called art rock. Good song, for sure.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The only song of theirs I like that much of the ones I know. Never thought of it as prog.
    Check out the album Power, Corruption & Lies

It's not Prog but it's also not like their 12" dance singles. Definitely Prog friendly. ("Blue Monday" was not part of the original album on vinyl. It was only on the cassette version and was later added to the CD along with the instrumental version from the B-side. But "Blue Monday" / "The Beach" weren't really part of the album.)

^I have that album somewhere, it was given away free with a newspaper in the UK. Don't remember much about it, but I did play the others given away ('Ocean Rain', 'Psychocandy'...as I remember 'Closer' and 'Strange Days' were also part of that promotion). I'll dig it out.

Cool song. Great sound & atmosphere, good beat.

Banned
    I think that the original '83 recording could pass for a Joy Division outtake. I don't like the remix. I heard that the song was about Ian Curtis. Is that true?

Not Progressive yet stunning! I still remember hearing this song for the first time along with the remixes of Confusion and Temptation. This band was extremely forward reaching not as merose as Depeche Mode or flamboyant as Erasure and accessible than Cabaret Voltaire.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Has anyone heard the last gasp of newOrder called Lost Sirens. Apparently, these are leftovers from that album, but IMO, better than anything off that album. The production is more in keeping with their early work, sans the mega dance mixes of the latter '80s. I like it, but its way too short at only 38 minutes long. Better-n-nuttin I suppose.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Has anyone heard the last gasp of newOrder called Lost Sirens. Apparently, these are leftovers from that album, but IMO, better than anything off that album. The production is more in keeping with their early work, sans the mega dance mixes of the latter '80s. I like it, but its way too short at only 38 minutes long. Better-n-nuttin I suppose.
    Last for New Order? Thought that they would continue now that Hooky is out of the picture. It's like the Judas Priest situation. JP announced that they were going to retire, but they changed their minds and KK Downing ended up leaving the band.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice track, always liked it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Liked it immediately when I first heard it. I thought, wow, why couldn't all disco be like this?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Depends on the source I guess. Rolling Stone sez they threw. And given the last release was leftovers from Waiting For The Siren's Call, they're prolly a done deal.

I liked New Order back in the day, but usually preferred the remixes to the album versions, Blue Monday being one of them. Stephen Hague, the guy that did quite a few of their remixes, was a genius. I still have those CD singles. Paid a pretty penny for them back when. I have the Blue Monday remix single with the 7" and 12", as well as a tune called Beach Buggy. I have Fine Time CD single, with four different remixes (one called Fine Line which is kinda dumb) and the Yello-ish Don't Do It. And I have a rare one called Round & Remix. Yes, there was a Round & Round CD single, but the Round & Remix single had a instrumental version of Vanishing Point with additional keys and its sumptuous. A few of these made it to the Singles collection, but not the instrumental Vanishing Point, which woulda been a hit if it had been released as an instrumental. (it did make it to the collectors edition)

Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Depends on the source I guess. Rolling Stone sez they threw. And given the last release was leftovers from Waiting For The Siren's Call, they're prolly a done deal.

I liked New Order back in the day, but usually preferred the remixes to the album versions, Blue Monday being one of them. Stephen Hague, the guy that did quite a few of their remixes, was a genius. I still have those CD singles. Paid a pretty penny for them back when. I have the Blue Monday remix single with the 7" and 12", as well as a tune called Beach Buggy. I have Fine Time CD single, with four different remixes (one called Fine Line which is kinda dumb) and the Yello-ish Don't Do It. And I have a rare one called Round & Remix. Yes, there was a Round & Round CD single, but the Round & Remix single had a instrumental version of Vanishing Point with additional keys and its sumptuous. A few of these made it to the Singles collection, but not the instrumental Vanishing Point, which woulda been a hit if it had been released as an instrumental. (it did make it to the collectors edition)

Great call, "Vanishing Point" is a favorite of mine.