Thread: NYC PEers - Gimme Gimme Records???

NYC PEers - Gimme Gimme Records???

Out in Los Angeles there is a new record store - Gimme Gimme Records. They say they have just relocated after 18 years in New York's East Village. Do any of you have any experience with this place? It's in a remote, and kinda undesireable, part of town, so I wanted to check with you to see if it's worth the trip. Thanks!

anyone? Mo? Chuck? Roger?

I think I vaguely remember it but it couldn't have been very memorable. I hit the stores in the Village 3 times a week for 20 years and it wasn't part of my circuit of stores.

Banned
    never heard of it. But I BOUGHT IT COLONY (and walked out broke)

This place was a dinky non-contender in the world of downtown New York music shops.

Jim, I'd heard of it, but never fell by to check it out. I can only assume that I what I heard wasn't enough to attract me to it...
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I have spent a LOT of time and money at record stores in the Village since the 1980s and don't recall seeing or hearing Gimme Gimme Records. Maybe it cater to club music (Dance) or something of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    never heard of it. But I BOUGHT IT COLONY (and walked out broke)
    what does that have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    I have spent a LOT of time and money at record stores in the Village since the 1980s and don't recall seeing or hearing Gimme Gimme Records. Maybe it cater to club music (Dance) or something of that nature.
    their ad says "rock, hip hop, new wave, disco, soul, jazz, blues, latin, country & more" so it's likely a small shop with a little bit of everything, which won't even make a sneeze with the likes of Amoeba, Rockaway, Freakbeat etc. nearby.

I finally did get over there, and as I expected, nothing special to be found.I did however meet a guy there who was on vacation here that owns a record shop in Australia, so I may be able to get some things from him, so not a complete loss

Wasn't this a used vinyl store? I was there a couple of times when it was in NYC, but don't remember it being really memorable. It was on East 5th Street. But look at it this way. It's a record store. Go there. If it sucks, don't get there again. I check out all stores unless it's a dance or rap or hip/hop kind of place.

Bob

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    > I have spent a LOT of time and money at record stores in the Village since the 1980s and don't recall seeing or hearing Gimme Gimme Records.

+1

I think gimme gimme records wasn't a retail store...but a label..yeah I did the record store circuit from rebel rebel to the record stores at alphabet city...route 66 had some pt single vinyl to my surprise....