Thread: Tony Levin Solo Work

The Enemy God

Tony Levin Solo Work

I have been spinning his first solo album World Diary, which I think is his best solo effort. Such a wide palette and no singing which I kind of like. Good mix of Chapman Stick, NS Upright and Funk Fingers.
    I bought From the Caves of the Iron Mountain, but it never really got going, I really like his Waters ofEden for his great Fretless work.

Any other recommendations?

Tony's another one of those guys who seems to shine best in a band environment.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I agree. I have several of his discs (Double Espresso, Waters Of Eden & Pieces Of The Sun) and I rarely play them.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I agree. I have several of his discs (Double Espresso, Waters Of Eden & Pieces Of The Sun) and I rarely play them.
    Well give 'em another try. I love the last two of those (don't have DE). Very satisfying instrumental prog! particularly POTS. WoE has a new-agey vibe to it which isn't for everyone here on PE. But, still, a lot of depth IMHO.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I enjoy Waters of Eden.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I have those three, I enjoy them when they come up but don't ever hunt them out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Waters of Eden is my fav and the one that still gets the most regular spins. Pieces of the Sun was too prog-by-numbers for my taste, Resonator demonstrated just what a weak point vocals and lyrics are for him (though it was a nice enough experiment for what it was), and Stick Man was soon superseded by the band it led to. Nothing bad in there, but things that just get easily crowded out when there's so much other music to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    True. As much as I like WoE, it still doesn't compare to Stick Men and BLUE.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Waters of Eden is my fav and the one that still gets the most regular spins. Pieces of the Sun was too prog-by-numbers for my taste, Resonator demonstrated just what a weak point vocals and lyrics are for him (though it was a nice enough experiment for what it was), and Stick Man was soon superseded by the band it led to. Nothing bad in there, but things that just get easily crowded out when there's so much other music to choose from.

True. As much as I like WoE, it still doesn't compare to Stick Men and BLUE.
    I generally consider lyrics pretty important, but I have to admit I don't listen to Tony Levin for his lyrics or his voice. I like his solo stuff too (but I like it live much better), but I do prefer listening to him in a collaborative environment rather than as a hired gun.

I didn't realize World Diary was his first solo album. I'd have figured he would have gotten to that before 1995.

And above all, he's a really nice guy based on the several times I've met him.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Of the ones I own, I play BLUE Nights and From the Caves of Iron Mountain the most.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Of the ones I own, I play BLUE Nights and From the Caves of Iron Mountain the most.
    Both are fantastic. From the Caves of Iron Mountain is highly underrated. I never see it mentioned anywhere. Really beautiful music. If you haven't seen the accompanying video, be sure to check it out.

I'd have to look to be sure, but I'm pretty sure the ones I have are Caves, Double Espresso, Resonator, Pieces of the Sun, and Blue Nights. Saw the TL band live once somewhere around 2000, and enjoyed it immensely. I'm a huge fan and have deep appreciation for his professionalism, skill, and musicianship. I do probably listen to his collaborative efforts more than his solo material, but that's just laziness on my part, not due to any value judgement one way or the other. The one thing I haven't really dug into yet is the Stick Men catalog, but I think I need to remedy that soon.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I'd have to look to be sure, but I'm pretty sure the ones I have are Caves, Double Espresso, Resonator, Pieces of the Sun, and Blue Nights. Saw the TL band live once somewhere around 2000, and enjoyed it immensely. I'm a huge fan and have deep appreciation for his professionalism, skill, and musicianship. I do probably listen to his collaborative efforts more than his solo material, but that's just laziness on my part, not due to any value judgement one way or the other. The one thing I haven't really dug into yet is the Stick Men catalog, but I think I need to remedy that soon.
    Saw Tony a few times in 2000 with his band. I think at that time Larry Fast and Jerry Marrotta were in his band at the time. Good stuff. Really became a huge fan of Levin's solo work after those shows.

Thankfully, Tony plays a lot in my area, and I never miss a chance to see him. I have a Stickmen release and Double Espresso, and enjoy them both.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Saw Tony a few times in 2000 with his band. I think at that time Larry Fast and Jerry Marrotta were in his band at the time. Good stuff. Really became a huge fan of Levin's solo work after those shows.
    Yep, and Jesse Gress. Great band!!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Yep, and Jesse Gress. Great band!!

Sure was. I love seeing Tony on a stage but it's always icing on the cake when guys like that are up there with him. Can't wait for Stickmen to come back.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Have you given Levin, Torn, White and the two Levin, Minnemann, Rudess releases a try?

BTW, I thought the LTW cover was a bit lame and came up with something more Proggy.
    LTWLOGO.png

I often hear people express disappointment in his voice when they talk about his Tony Levin Band albums. For some reason, I love his voice. It's as personal as a fingerprint and warm as all getout. My absolute favorite of his releases is Resonator. The couple songs I'm not in love with don't bother me and the others - especially Crisis Of Faith - are just a great ride. Pieces Of The Sun, Resonator and Double Espresso are what I reach for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Have you given Levin, Torn, White and the two Levin, Minnemann, Rudess releases a try?

BTW, I thought the LTW cover was a bit lame and came up with something more Proggy.
    LTWLOGO.png
    Ha! That cover is great, man.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I've always been partial to "Pieces of the Sun."
    Chad

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Same here
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Looks like I already said it once up above, almost a year ago, but POTS really deserves every shout-out opportunity it gets. One of my very favorite instrumental prog efforts of the new millennium.

Also, this fall, I revisited Caves of the Iron Mountain for the first time in probably 15 years. A very unique and organic take on ambient music. If you like that genre seek it out.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Looks like I already said it once up above, almost a year ago, but POTS really deserves every shout-out opportunity it gets. One of my very favorite instrumental prog efforts of the new millennium.

Also, this fall, I revisited Caves of the Iron Mountain for the first time in probably 15 years. A very unique and organic take on ambient music. If you like that genre seek it out.
    Agree on both of those! They produced a video documentary of Iron Mountain that is worth checking out too. I like Stick Men well enough, but I really miss the Tony Levin Band. I wish that he'd move back to more of a song-based format.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

LTWLOGO.png
    Love the two LMR albums. Still haven't grabbed the LTW yet.

Anyone know why the first week of January’s Levin Brothers Tour got canceled? Seattle (Jan 15) was almost sold out....I tried to buy a ticket today and see Seattle, Portland & Arcata, CA are all removed. No update on Tony’s website. Funny, since he’s become involved again with KC he doesn’t interact with his web page anymore. NO promotion of this Levin Brothers Tour.