Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 Winter Olympics Thread

The 2018 Winter Olympics Thread

Here we go. For those of us in the USA, it will be an avalanche of "feel-good" stories and commercial tie-ins mixed here and there with actual athletic events. Same as it ever was. But still, some pretty compelling athletic events. I am looking forward to that moment when my wife sits down in front of the TV whining "I'll just watch a little figure skating" and within an hour it's "don't switch the channel, I want to see that bitch lose". Once my beloved gets her game on she gets stone cold.

I am not one for threads where the OP sets rules and I will not try to moderate. I'm just getting things started. But a couple things need to be said.

Spoilers/results. Different parts of the globe are going to see this at very different times. We have PE members in Asia who will be getting this in real time while other areas will get delayed results. So please be kind and give it a little while when discussing specific events, especially the controversial ones.

Bitching. It's the Olympics. The IOC is an organization so corrupt it makes FIFA and the NCAA look like clergy. When so many sports require "judging" you're going to get crap like this:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/wi...s-they-n844886
    By all means folks, feel free to pile on. These bastards deserve it. Not the athletes, the bastards cheating and/or profiting.

Have fun!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think it's a very hopeful sign that North Korea and South Korea are jointly participating, with a shared team. There are I think 16 athletes from the DPRK? Anyway, it's wonderful they're participating.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hopefully war won't break out during these Olympics.

Canada is a Winter Games powerhouse and I expect more of the same this year. We should be in the Top 5 countries for total medals... Curious to see how the hockey tournament plays out. Countries like ours, with all our best in the NHL will be at a disadvantage vs countries that can keep the nucleus of a team together year round.

Aside from figure skating, there are a lot of great events in the Winter Games!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I love the Winter Olympics. So many sports that are rarely seen on U.S. television.

That said, if it has to be judged, it's not a sport (and no, "officiating" is not the same as "judging")/rant

I do wish that NHL players were allowed to participate.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Curling would be a much better event if all participants were required to have blood alcohol levels of at least .1
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

IIRC they NHL chose not to go, not the IOC. I'm OK with it though, even if it means Canada may not medal in the event. I think it'll be exciting watching mostly unknowns competing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

Aside from figure skating, there are a lot of great events in the Winter Games!
    Yeah, where's Jeff Gillooly when you need him.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Curling would be a much better event if all participants were required to have blood alcohol levels of at least .1
    So many people diss it, but it's such a strategic game; almost chess-like . It requires a high level of skill to pull off most of those shots too. I enjoy watching it. It's on TV regularly up here and we're one of the top nations.

IIRC they NHL chose not to go, not the IOC.
    I seem to recall that many of the players wanted to go, but the NHL wouldn't allow it/wouldn't change their schedule for it.

So many people diss it, but it's such a strategic game; almost chess-like . It requires a high level of skill to pull off most of those shots too. I enjoy watching it. It's on TV regularly up here and we're one of the top nations.
    Curling is a perfect example of what I love about the Olympics. We never see it here, except for this fortnight. It's so foreign and interesting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I would think a fair amount of European countries will be missing their top hockey players as well if the NHL is sitting this one out.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I would think a fair amount of European countries will be missing their top hockey players as well if the NHL is sitting this one out.
    Yes, but some countries have a foundation of permanent players; creating a more cohesive base. It'll be the great equalizer. All of a sudden Switzerland or Germany can compete with Canada and the USA' who will be throwing a bunch of guys together at the last minute and hoping it gels.

Long track speed skating is an obscure sport that the U.S. is surprisingly dominant in. I have loved speed skating since Eric Heiden and after the doc told me that I could no longer run, I started speed skating on inline skates. With Joey Mantia, the US has an excellent chance to medal in the 1000 and 1500. Erin Jackson is a great story as is Maame Biney in short track. My other faves in speed skating are Mika Poutala, Nico Ihle, and Ruslan Murashov though none of them are U.S. skaters.

Biathlon (cross country skiing combined with target shooting) is another fave of mine. Laura Dahlmeier, Martin Fourcade and the Boe brothers are the favorites.

If you get a chance, you must watch snowboard cross and ski cross. 30 seconds of incredible action.

And as always, any of the Alpine skiing events. Mikaela Shiffrin, Mikaela Shiffrin and Mikaela Shiffrin

Canada excels at the short track speed skating, which looks like roller derby on ice!

Biathlon is a very intriguing sport. People wonder how cross country skiing and target shooting go together, but when you think that shooting usually involves pulling the trigger in between heartbeats and just how fast your heart beats when cross country skiing, you start to see what the challenge is.

Always watch the acrobat skiers/ snow boarders because those are events where Canada does well.

I would be remiss not to mention the bobsled, luge, and skeleton competitions as well! Love that stuff!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Any event needing a judge to tell you how well you did isn't a sport. The wife will love all that, I'll be watching the skiing, hockey, and the like.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Come on man, there is no excuse for Canada not to clean up in every Winter Olympics!

I'm not too big on the newer "X Games" type events, but as someone who grew up skating and playing hockey all day on the frozen ponds of the north, I love the traditional winter events.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 02-07-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Come on man, there is no excuse for Canada not to clean up in every Winter Olympics!

We do well enough but there are powerhouses to contend with. Some countries do not participate in as many sports but totally dominate the ones they do. Asian nations have come a long way too. The absence of Russia will create a power vacuum though.

Biathlon is a very intriguing sport. People wonder how cross country skiing and target shooting go together, but when you think that shooting usually involves pulling the trigger in between heartbeats and just how fast your heart beats when cross country skiing, you start to see what the challenge is.
    Biathlon evolved from Russia and/or Finland training their soldiers to be able to ski to remote locations yet still be able to shoot at the same time. Fascinating sport. Someone can be leading, miss one shot, and drop 14 places. As exciting as football to me.

Anything judged on artistic merit is not a sport. That doesn't mean that it isn't physically arduous. Simply means that they aren't sports. Figure skating is no more a sport than ballet is.

Quote Originally Posted by painter View Post
    Anything judged on artistic merit is not a sport. That doesn't mean that it isn't physically arduous. Simply means that they aren't sports. Figure skating is no more a sport than ballet is.
    I made a very similar comment on Twitter and got roasted for days.

Don't mess with skating fans - even if they have no idea what they're talking about.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You guys are crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    My wife curled for years in WI. The drinking was saved for after the match, but it always happened; the social aspect is a major part of the sport!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I love shuffleboard, probably the best all time bar game, so I fully embrace curling...and drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I love shuffleboard, probably the best all time bar game, so I fully embrace curling...and drinking.
    Any sport that originates in Scotland is going to involve drinking.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Apparently the Brits are hoping for medals in curling, short track speed skating, skiing, snowboarding and skeleton.
    Ian