Thread: Paul Simon says goodbye

Paul Simon says goodbye

One final tour ending in July.

http://abc7ny.com/entertainment/paul...ement/3037168/

76 and going strong. God bless him!

Statement from Paul - https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulSimon...436161/photo/1
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

One of the Great American Songwriters.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This kind of makes you wonder why Saga is already calling it a day. Of course the do seem to tour a lot, just not in the States.

I saw Simon and Garfunkel together, Art Garfunkel solo, and Paul Simon with Bob Dylan. All great concerts but no need to see Simon at 76.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I saw Simon and Garfunkel together, Art Garfunkel solo, and Paul Simon with Bob Dylan. All great concerts but no need to see Simon at 76.
    I also was lucky enough to see Paul and Art in the early 80s. Art's rendition of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was incredible and later said to be his best ever outdoor performance of it, FWIW. I did get to see Paul with Dylan, too, but never got to see Art solo.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Meanwhile...

Art Garfunkel - Old Jew Tour 2018

I just watched the Monterey Pop DVD the other day. They were so young then, they practically looked like kids. Time does fly.

Garfunkel had an interesting interview with Rolling Stone in November 2017. His relationship with Simon is not a topic he seems to enjoy:

Rolling Stone: I spoke to [Simon] about a year and a half ago. He told me you guys were no longer on speaking terms.
    Art Garfunkel: [Stares into my eyes and doesn't respond]

Rolling Stone: May I ask what happened?
    Art Garfunkel: I don't think you can because there are things that are personal and deep between us, instead of the Internet, your readers. ...

Rolling Stone: That's fair.
    Art Garfunkel: Good. I'm glad you see that.

Rolling Stone: In 2015 you called him a "jerk" and said that you "created a monster" by becoming his friend in the first place. Do you regret saying all that?
    Art Garfunkel: Yes. I do. [Smiling] You press people, you get stuff out of us. You're going to come with one any minute. You're going to find me relaxing and you're going to come with the left hook.

Rolling Stone: Are you hopeful you two will patch things up and maybe sing together again one day?
    Art Garfunkel: Not particularly.

Rolling Stone: Why?
    Art Garfunkel: Now, the word "enough" just flew into my mind. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Garfunkel had an interesting interview with Rolling Stone in November 2017. His relationship with Simon is not a topic he seems to enjoy:

Rolling Stone: I spoke to [Simon] about a year and a half ago. He told me you guys were no longer on speaking terms.
    Art Garfunkel: [Stares into my eyes and doesn't respond]

Rolling Stone: May I ask what happened?
    Art Garfunkel: I don't think you can because there are things that are personal and deep between us, instead of the Internet, your readers. ...

Rolling Stone: That's fair.
    Art Garfunkel: Good. I'm glad you see that.

Rolling Stone: In 2015 you called him a "jerk" and said that you "created a monster" by becoming his friend in the first place. Do you regret saying all that?
    Art Garfunkel: Yes. I do. [Smiling] You press people, you get stuff out of us. You're going to come with one any minute. You're going to find me relaxing and you're going to come with the left hook.

Rolling Stone: Are you hopeful you two will patch things up and maybe sing together again one day?
    Art Garfunkel: Not particularly.

Rolling Stone: Why?
    Art Garfunkel: Now, the word "enough" just flew into my mind. ...
    Nothing wrong with not wanting to discuss Simon, but then why sit for an interview?

Maybe he thought that it was an interview regarding his superb acting career post-Catch-22 (not that his portrayal of Nately could be called acting).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

farewell tours sell more tickets..... just saying.