Thread: FEATURED 2003 Album: Radiohead - Hail To The Thief

FEATURED 2003 Album: Radiohead - Hail To The Thief

For the last week plus, we featured 10 albums that were released 10 years ago and are now a decade old. How have they held up? You may have forgotten a few or have yet to fathom the album is now 10 years old.

For the final album, today's feature is Radiohead's Hail to the Thief:

Review from Sputnik Music (Joe Denby):
    Hail to the Thief, as the successor to Amnesiac, comes at a strange time in Radiohead's discography. Amnesiac was the one that let people down, solid, but a relative nonentity compared to the musical goliaths that preceded it. This was to be Radiohead's return to glory, a magnum opus of the 21st century to return the band to their previous, infallible standing. Did it live up to the hype? Not really. I don't know whether it was the continuing musical progression towards alternative electronica, the bleaker, more abstract connotations of the album, or maybe people believed it simply wasn't as good as its predecessors, but somehow, it just didn't quite click to fill the arenas, nor send critics on a hyperbole driven spree of adulation.

It was the same for me, having spun the album incessantly years ago, searching for that feeling I experienced when I first heard Idioteque. Nope. I mean, I knew the album was good, but it wasn't Radiohead good. It wasn't until about six months ago, bored on a long walk home at seven at night, that time where the dark's closing in and you find yourself watching leaves skip down the road, carried by the breeze. Everything snapped into place. I don't remember whether it was the infinite layering of synthesisers in "Sit Down, Stand Up", that climax of “the raindrops”, with laser sounds and frenzied drums, or the haunting, sombre lull that is “We Suck Young Blood” because it doesn't matter, the moment is ever changing, and never any less significant.

If anyone were to epitomise the shift in sound, it's Thom Yorke himself. Desperate to not be pinned down, to be clarified, the lyrics grow more abstract and morose the more you listen. The words paint a bleak, grey outlook on what the word will become, and maybe in his eyes, has already become. Political slights, 1984 references, the evils of big business, Yorke grimly recites a twisted perspective and performs it exceptionally. The spoken verses of “Wolf At The Door”, so softly spoke and yet so intense, or the angry yelp in “2+2=5”, both powerful and yet entirely different.

Despite four of the five members being guitarists, they're used sparsely, something which only enhances their effect. It's why that riff halfway through “Where I End and You Begin” is so memorable, and it's why the harsh, contrasting blare of “Myxamatosis” comes as such a shock to the system after what you've come to expect. Greenwood's slick bass undercurrent is a driving force in what often devolves into heavily rhythm based sections (“A Punchup at a Wedding”, anyone?), Selway's drumming knowing exactly where to build and where to retreat, always tuned to situation and what it necessitates i.e. the aforementioned “Sit Down, Stand Up”. But, this is Radiohead, so they go past the conventional. The sweeping sound throughout “Backdrifts”, the culmination of noise in “The Gloaming”, a freaking ondes martenot, it all just works in a way only they could make it.

Maybe it'll never snap into place for other people, like it did for me. Maybe this album was just there at the right place, at the right time and distorted my take on what's otherwise a lesser release from a musical great. Maybe. But when Yorke cried upon hearing “I Will” for the first time complete, I will always understand his feeling, because the moment is always there, always so important, ever changing.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I think this was the beginning of their decline but still a good album.

Interesting one...certainly my least favourite of the albums between OK Computer and King of Limbs. Lots of great moments throughout, but it doesn't (to my ears) hold together as a convincing album taken as a whole. Perhaps 2 or 3 songs too much, although 56 mins still shows admirable restraint when compared to some bands. I love Wolf at the Door though.

Matt.

i love this album. it's chock full of classics, imho...

"you're not paying attention, you're just not paying attention, paying attention, paying attention...." - excellent
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Very good album, but not as amazing as the giants surrounding it. I need to give it more spins however, I will do that today
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I gave it another spin today and to be honest I think it's being a little under valued. I really like this album and have it amongst their best after the pinnacle of Ok Computer. I love the mood, feel, anger & darkness.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Well, it looks like a lot of folks don’t care for this one. It’s my second favourite after OK Computer. Oh well, I guess I disagree with lots of folks about them, as I can’t stand The Bends and prefer Amnesiac to Kid A.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“I’m a Man”-Dawn Dialogue (Between 2 Worlds)/I Put a Spell on the Fire

I dunno if it's their best but it's usually the only one I'm ever in the mood to listen to. Really weird to make this claim but I think this one's been underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Interesting one...certainly my least favourite of the albums between OK Computer and King of Limbs. Lots of great moments throughout, but it doesn't (to my ears) hold together as a convincing album taken as a whole. Perhaps 2 or 3 songs too much, although 56 mins still shows admirable restraint when compared to some bands. I love Wolf at the Door though.

Matt.
    I agree with Matt here, it's rare that i don't really like a Radiohead album but for me i could take or leave about half of it.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I don't spin anything Radiohead except "OK Computer" and "Kid A".
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The eons are closing
    This is where I get completely off the Radiohead bus. I am a mad crazy fan of "The Bends" through "Amnesiac" but this and subequent releases dont reach me (similar to post-anoraknophobia marillion....just doesn't register)
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Opinions are so funny. I feel "Kid A" is easily their best album, and "Hail to the Thief" is a very, very close second. How anybody can see "Hail" as a decline is beyond me, though I admit there are a lot of things that are beyond me. Speaking of funny opinions, I think their most overrated album is "OK Computer." Not that it's bad, just overrated.

- Matt

Well, after a revisit yesterday I can say this is a killer album. Lots of great moments and songs, really dense and well put together. its definitely among Radiohead's best. The bonus CD on the recent re-release has some interesting stuff too. Might grow up to In Rainbows/OK COmputer/Kid A status for me even. Also, I already loved Myxomatosis before, but there is a sadness hidden in this ominous tune that I never noticed before. Its a mix between 2 powerful emotions: a crying sad and a brooding, omnipresent dark and it works so damn well.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    Well, after a revisit yesterday I can say this is a killer album. Lots of great moments and songs, really dense and well put together. its definitely among Radiohead's best. The bonus CD on the recent re-release has some interesting stuff too. Might grow up to In Rainbows/OK COmputer/Kid A status for me even. Also, I already loved Myxomatosis before, but there is a sadness hidden in this ominous tune that I never noticed before. Its a mix between 2 powerful emotions: a crying sad and a brooding, omnipresent dark and it works so damn well.
    Were the re-releases remastered?

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    How anybody can see "Hail" as a decline is beyond me
    Me too. This is the one where they really arrived for me. Everything from The Bends through Amnesiac is great, but they were all derivative to some degree--fresh and exciting, yes, but the kind that comes from blending and spinning familiar elements into a different recipe. With HttT they finally stepped into all-new territory and made the recipe purely their own. (I know it's a weird distinction, but the difference is unmistakeable to my ears.) Plus, so many of the songs are gems in and of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Were the re-releases remastered?
    No.

I hope they aren't remastered - Radiohead definitely got that part right on the first go

This to me is an excellent album yet it is also where I began to tire of the whole Radiohead craze.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I hope they aren't remastered - Radiohead definitely got that part right on the first go
    I actually hope they are remastered to mix the “loudness war” out of them. Kid A and Amnesiac are particular offenders. Hearing these with proper dynamics would be like hearing them anew for the first time.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"That's my purse! I don't know you!" --Bobby Hill

N.P.:“Code Blue”-Ashra/Belle Alliance

This record has been one really tough nut for me to crack. I have it, play it and really want to like it, but it's just never clicked. It's not that I don't enjoy their more "challenging" records - I love In Rainbows and Kid A. This one, though, remains a complete enigma. Maybe one day...