Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Area and Demetrio Stratos

Area and Demetrio Stratos

I don't believe there is a separate thread for Area, so let's hear some applause for one of the most original and daring bands of rock progressivo and the huge voice of Demetrio Stratos. Rank their albums, if such a thing is possible (I tend to choose the magnificent debut, but this is far from a final solution). And answer me this, if you may: Will I ever understand what on earth is going on on side 2 of Caution! Radiation Area ?

Favorite hands down:
    Are(a)zione

followed by
    Crac!

huge fan. Didn't last long enough and didn't release enough.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned
    Love em', Love 'em Love 'em! Very different from the usual wonderful symphonic symphonic Italian progressive style. Jazz Rock fans should give them a chance. They can absolutely dazzle with their energy and very high level of musicianship.

If you ask me tomorrow my opinion may change:
    1) Crac!
    2) Arbeit Macht Frei
    3) Are(a)zione
    4) Caution Radiation Area

Side 2 of Caution! Radiation Area - that's a tough one. Definitely finds them in their experimental mode. What I do know is that "Lobotomia" (lobotomy) is meant to be disturbing...

Huge fan of the band. I rank all of their albums before "Tic&Tac" pretty much equally, but Maledetti is probably my overall favorite. Perhaps I pick this one because it was my first exposure to the band, I don't know. Definitely my favorite band coming from Italy.
    Last edited by Conti; 02-06-2018 at 05:56 AM.

One of my all time favorite bands and my personal favorite Italian band of all time, without question.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Huge fan of the band. I rank all of their albums before "Tic&Tac" pretty much equally, but Malledetti is probably my overall favorite. Perhaps I pick this one because it was my first exposure to the band, I don't know. Definitely my favorite band coming from Italy.
    Maledetti was my first too, and I still have quite a fond spot for it. I actually heard Deus Ex Machina years before I ever got around to Area, so there was a very big "OOOOOOOOH!!!" moment almost immediately when I finally heard the latter.

Stratos passed way, way, WAY too soon.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Superb Italian band, slightly less bombastic version of Magma.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Favorite hands down:
    Are(a)zione
    I am such an ape to be listening to this only now for the first time in my life. This old prejudice, that a live record probably will not add something essential to the discography.

This is brilliant beyond words!

Back in the 90's I was sure that Crac was their second record and Caution their third, and not the other way around as it actually is. It made sense: they were heading steadily for more avant-garde territory. It's pretty unique the sequence of the albums regarding their style, back and forth or forth and back, whichever you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I am such an ape to be listening to this only now for the first time in my life. This old prejudice, that a live record probably will not add something essential to the discography.

This is brilliant beyond words!
    glad you're enjoying it. Me too!

I love Patrick eating the apple on mic!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    1) Crac!
    2) Arbeit Macht Frei
    3) Are(a)zione

Side 2 of Caution! Radiation Area - that's a tough one. Definitely finds them in their experimental mode. What I do know is that "Lobotomia" (lobotomy) is meant to be disturbing...
    I like your top three...

Still can't get used to Radiation Area, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

1) Crac!
    2) Arbeit Macht Frei
    3) Are(a)zione
    Something like that, yes. ABSOLUTELY LOVE this band. Stratos was a completely original singer. Shame he passed away so early.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Banned
    I need to go back and listen to Maledetti (and everything else), that one eludes me for some reason. Thanks for the prompt - haven't listened to Area in quite some time and at one point they were in regular rotation for many months...

Still can't get used to Radiation Area, though.
    I don't know why I even like it so much. Probably brain damage...

I don't know why I even like it so much. Probably brain damage...
    Lol, but even for Cometa Rossa alone this is a great record. The vocal part of Demetrio Stratos on this constitutes one of the most intense musical experiences I can think of (maybe my Greek origin helps in this, since the music is very familiar and the Greek lyrics hit right centre).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Favorite hands down:
    Are(a)zione

followed by
    Crac!

huge fan. Didn't last long enough and didn't release enough.

+1
    G.A.S -aholic

I can't choose a favorite Area. That would be like choosing a favorite part of my wife's body. I like it all. I feel that's a valid opinion.

Like a couple others here, I first heard Area with Maledetti (it was their new one at the time, though I don't think I knew that), and yet I've always found it harder to get into than the others.

They still perform sometimes, I had the pleasure to see them a couple of years ago (maybe three) here in Milan, magnificent evening, Patrizio Fariselli (keyboards) plays as a joyful kid. Although two members have unfortunately left the planet they still have that integrity and energy as 40 years ago...

Fariselli has also his Project...: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VXsTAK9bhQ
    Last edited by Dedatolo; 02-05-2018 at 04:01 PM.

One of my favorite Italian prog bands. Back in the 70's, I drove from Austin to Houston a lot because there were some great record stores there, especially Cactus. They had huge prog import sections with lots of Italian stuff, and that's where I first saw Area's LP's. I bought "Crac!" first (it had promo stickers inside!), since it was their most recent release, then all the others next visit. I like them all up until "1978...". Note: the Cramps label CD version of "Maladetti" used an old cassette source for the tracks on side two, and they sound horrible. A later CD release on Akarma fixed that problem, but had a glitch on one of the tracks from side one, so I have to keep both CD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    They still perform sometimes, I had the pleasure to see them a couple of years ago (maybe three) here in Milan, magnificent evening, Patrizio Fariselli (keyboards) plays as a joyful kid. Although two members have unfortunately left the planet they still have that integrity and energy as 40 years ago...

Fariselli has also his Project...: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VXsTAK9bhQ
    Do they perform under the name Area?

For me:

1- Crac (their best one for sure)
    2- Arbeit Macht Frei
    3- Areazione

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I can't choose a favorite Area. That would be like choosing a favorite part of my wife's body. I like it all. I feel that's a valid opinion.
    OMG, so perfectly stated! I'm going with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    And answer me this, if you may: Will I ever understand what on earth is going on on side 2 of Caution! Radiation Area ?
    I don't know if I understand it, but I take the whole album as a sort of descent into madness. Each track gets further and further out, until you're practically just left with noise. When other bands pull shit like this, I find it boring. But I find that Area bring a musicality to the avant "out-thereness" that is lacking to me in other stuff like this. Maybe it's because I know they can play their asses off, and largely do, that I can follow them into this territory. Anyways, Caution Radiation Area is the album that exhibits the largest majority of this kind of stuff. It may be my least favorite overall, but I still dig it.

Don't forget a little love for 1978 (Gli Dei se ne Vanno...), which is more stripped down, but still very worthy, imo!

Bill

^^^^^^

I find myself reaching for 1978 more often than Arbeit, for certain.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

My top 5:

1. Arbeit Macht Frei
    2. Are(a)zione
    3. Crac!
    4. Caution Radiation Area
    5. Maledetti
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    My top 5:

1. Arbeit Macht Frei
    2. Are(a)zione
    3. Crac!
    4. Caution Radiation Area
    5. Maledetti
    Yeah!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

My favorite Italian band.

I tend to listen mostly to 1978 (Gli Dei se ne Vanno...), Maledetti and Arbeit, but they are all good. Well 'Event 76' is a bit underwhelming, but wtf, all the others are fantastic.