Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Pinnacle - A Man's Reach

FEATURED ALBUM: Pinnacle - A Man's Reach

Today's feature is the first album by the US band Pinnacle, A Man's Reach. Check out the cover of Minstrel. This album is now about 15 years old! Time flies...

Review from ProgArchives:
    Pinnacle's roots go back in 1997, when drummer Greg Jones met Karl Eisenhart in a coffee house, where he played acoustic music.His ''Steve Morse'' T-shirt was enough for Greg to speak to him and so begins the collaboration between the two men.Initially the played with bassist JP Capiello, who was soon replaced by mullti-instrumentalist Bill Fox.As with many bands, they started playing covers of Yes, Rush, Jethro Tull and other huge acts of the past, before putting together material for an original release.They recorded their debut, meeting each other every Tuesday at EverythingToExcess Studios between November 02' and May 03, eventually releasing their first album ''A man's reach'' in 2003.

Pinnacle's sound is obviously influenced by the Power Rock of RUSH with a slight vibe from 70's US Heavy/Hard Rock and recalls modern acts such as TILES, BOLUS or ENCHANT.The style of the trio is strongly based on Eisenhart's/Fox'es guitars with little use of synths here and there to create a more rich sound.Most of the tracks are quite groovy with strong riffs, plenty of changes and interesting solos in mid-length and quite accesible forms.The atmosphere ranges from aggressive to slightly spacey, exploring also the territories inbetween.Vocals are also decent, without being anything close to mindblowing.Good thing is Pinnacle's compositions are fairly memorable despite the diverse guitar stylings.On the other the hand the production sounds a bit flat and this guitar-driven style seem to need sometimes a breeze of fresh air.Notice the lovely cover of Jethro Tull's ''Minstrel In the Gallery'' as the closing composition of this album.

RUSH-inspired Power/Prog Rock is what Pinnacle have to offer in this first effort of the trio and what they do, they do it really good.Recommended, especially if you love strongly guitar-led still challenging material. - apps79

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Cannot believe this album is 15 years old.

I like the effort here, but these songs really shine live and the album only hints at it. Not a bad starting point. The best part though is that it continues to get better.

Wow, this is the one I pay my friends NOT to buy! Still, everyone starts somewhere, and while the execution of this material left LOTS of room to improve, I still like the writing on the vast majority of it. Thanks a MILLION for featuring this. I'm dying to rerecord Unsung Hero someday.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Wow, this is the one I pay my friends NOT to buy!
    That's not what you said when it came out.

I need to dig it out again. Haven't listened to it in years.

Well, you got me there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    That's not what you said when it came out.

I need to dig it out again. Haven't listened to it in years.

Oh, bummer. They play here with no problem. Sorry about that. I'll look for the Bandcamp link and post it here when (and if) I find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Alas the videos don't play.