Thread: New Umphrey's McGee

New Umphrey's McGee

I don't think I have seen a thread about the new Umphrey's album yet. Wondering what people think about it? I just got it the other day, so have not had a chance to really digest it yet, but it seems a bit of a mixed bag to me. The don't really break any new ground, but they cover a bunch of different musical styles including pop, prog, jazz, funk, and hard rock. It is all over the place, but parts of it I really like. The stand out track to me so for is "Remind Me" which clocks in at over 7 minutes.

I am going to see them in concert tonight.

Pretty amazing studio album from a band that is used to stretching things out . Cant wait to see what they do with a few of these in a live setting.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Enjoy the concert, Steve! I have yet to hear their new album.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by heracleummantegazziani View Post
    Pretty amazing studio album from a band that is used to stretching things out . Cant wait to see what they do with a few of these in a live setting.
    I checked out their set list from last night and they only did two tracks from the new one. I am hoping they do more tonight, but these guys change things up so much you never know what you are going to get.

The last song and Looks (i think) i liked on first listen...the rest...not thrilled with...Remind Me turns into a Dream Theater song out of nowhere. At large i think the only album i like most of of their's is Death By Stereo.

Spun it this afternoon for the first time. Mixed bag seems fair, but other than a few of the heaviest parts I enjoyed it. Not a ton of proggy stuff, from what I recall, but another solid studio album.

The show tonight was fantastic as usual, but they only did two songs off of the new one, and IMO two of the weakest.

I've listened to it quite a bit.

My favorite tune is "Forks." Really a blissful listening experience that shows what they're best at.

The most proggy tune to me isn't "Remind me" but the preceding "Maybe Someday," which goes through an impressive range of textures and rhythms in its 6 1/2 minutes. I see why some would jam out on the end of "Remind Me," but I don't care for the first half of the song. The final tune "Dark Brush" makes an impressive sound and I'm sure is a fist pumper live. I had a misheard lyric problem the first several times I listened to it that I can't unhear - replace "crept" with "crapped" in the chorus.

Remove 3 or 4 tracks and it passes as a solid prog album.

Still disappointed I missed them at Nearfest.
    Last edited by Camelogue; 02-06-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Damn release date was the day I was due to return to China. The album has apparently now turned up at my mother's in the UK, with a couple of UM live dvds, but I won't get to hear it until July at the earliest (unless it turns up on Youtube in the meantime and my VPN continues to function). Hugely annoying.