Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From Silence to Somewhere- Wobbler

From Silence to Somewhere- Wobbler

Since all the high praise for the new Wobbler album, I immediately rushed and bought what was hoping to be another Symphonic masterpiece from their discovery, only to be disappointed and hearing something more Eclectic or Rio/Avant prog, similar to some bands like King Crimson, GG, VDGG and so fourth..

I've tried to listen to this album at least 6 times, hoping to hear something new and refreshing.. I find the music too complex and lack those harmonies or melodies. The singer also irritates me, the same as Rush... I'm finding no direction in this album at all..

I have quite a conservative taste in music, but this album goes beyond something I can listen too.. I have not read a bad review on this album or someting similar to how I feel.. A buddy of mine of similar taste agrees with me, so I'm rather confused on the high praise of this album... I really love their other 3 albums, but this will just end up in the bottom draw collecting dust!!...

Nutshell:

Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Gary Coleman played 'Tron on this one? Nice.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

I can pick out his unique chord voicings each and every time His diminutive statue means he played lots of minor 2nds, for rich tonal voicings.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by noni View Post
    Since all the high praise for the new Wobbler album, I immediately rushed and bought what was hoping to be another Symphonic masterpiece from their discovery, only to be disappointed and hearing something more Eclectic or Rio/Avant prog, similar to some bands like King Crimson, GG, VDGG and so fourth..

I've tried to listen to this album at least 6 times, hoping to hear something new and refreshing.. I find the music too complex and lack those harmonies or melodies. The singer also irritates me, the same as Rush... I'm finding no direction in this album at all..

I have quite a conservative taste in music, but this album goes beyond something I can listen too.. I have not read a bad review on this album or someting similar to how I feel.. A buddy of mine of similar taste agrees with me, so I'm rather confused on the high praise of this album... I really love their other 3 albums, but this will just end up in the bottom draw collecting dust!!...
    I don't have it yet, so if you'd like to sell it on, PM me. (If you are in the USA.)
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Well, I find the album FAR less complex than their first couple. I didn't like it a lot at first, but it's grown on me (even the singer, who I still find I don't care for his tone, but there is no denying he is technically very good).

I will say that in overall tone, they very much sound like the same band, just more simplified and stripped down (much less dense arrangements than on the first two albums, where every track had more changes and complex parts than this entire new album).

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Well, I find the album FAR less complex than their first couple. I didn't like it a lot at first, but it's grown on me (even the singer, who I still find I don't care for his tone, but there is no denying he is technically very good).

I will say that in overall tone, they very much sound like the same band, just more simplified and stripped down (much less dense arrangements than on the first two albums, where every track had more changes and complex parts than this entire new album).
    Cannot figure out why this album is so difficult for me to get into. ... Is 6 times enough or wait for a bit and play it again later.. The singer does not help at all in these matters, oh well!!..........

I, on the other hand, love this album! Their back catalogue...not so much. It's the above-mentioned dissonance and complexity that make it for me!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

They did not grab me when I saw them at NearFest, and I didn't subsequently pay them much attention.

However, this sounds interesting, and I will seek out some camples.

Since all the high praise for the new Wobbler album, I immediately rushed and bought what was hoping to be another Symphonic masterpiece from their discovery, only to be disappointed and hearing something more Eclectic or Rio/Avant prog, similar to some bands like King Crimson, GG, VDGG and so forth....
    ....I find the music too complex and lack[ing] those harmonies or melodies....
    ....no direction in this album at all....
    ....[it] goes beyond something I can listen to....
    .... I'm rather confused on the high praise of this album.
    This business of not making the same album over and over - it's called progressing. You know, as in progressive. Same way that Red wasn't the same album as In the Court..., or Close to the Edge wasn't the same album as Time and a Word, or Selling England wasn't the same album as Trespass. Or for that matter, the way In Praise of Learning wasn't the same album as LegEnd

I quite like the opening epic, and the last track. There is some nice melody in the vocal sections of the opener, and the first few minutes I enjoy. But it didn't blow me away as much as I'd hoped, or as much as the new 'Deluge Grander' did, which I find to be just excellently composed and performed. Just one of those 'taste' things, like anything else

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I quite like the opening epic, and the last track. There is some nice melody in the vocal sections of the opener, and the first few minutes I enjoy. But it didn't blow me away as much as I'd hoped, or as much as the new 'Deluge Grander' did, which I find to be just excellently composed and performed. Just one of those 'taste' things, like anything else
    Will give this another tortuous spin over the weekend and you never know!! ... I have so many prog bands and albums, lots to select!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't have it yet, so if you'd like to sell it on, PM me. (If you are in the USA.)
    I buy digital downloads, as my cd collection is huge. With so many bands to select, buying downloads is far cheaper, saves postage, no waiting, plus you have the music instantly you purchase it!....... Plus, I'm an old git, that finds the print on cd booklets too small for my eyes now!...

LOVE their back catalogue

LOVED their NEARFest set

LOVE watching the NF 2005 DVD

LOVE the new album too

Each album is slightly different than the previous one but each has their own charm/complexities/melodic earworms...FSTS is my pick for best 2017 release.
    G.A.S -aholic

I like all their albums, but the one track that stands head and shoulders over everything for me personally, is 'In Orbit', from 'Rites at Dawn'. Not necessarily their best album, but that song just kills it for me-as fine a piece of music as about anything I've ever heard. Like the section from the 4 to 7 minute mark, just reaches deep for me.

I had not listened to this yet, reviews made it sound like a symph prog album. but after reading your review in the original post compare it to rio and Avant stuff I'm inspired to check it out. thanks.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    I had not listened to this yet, reviews made it sound like a symph prog album. but after reading your review in the original post compare it to rio and Avant stuff I'm inspired to check it out. thanks.

I can't get into the new one but I only listened 2 or 3 times. Still have to give it more attention in the hope of liking it but I'm doubtful.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 02-03-2018 at 08:52 AM.

I don't hear anything RIO/avant on the new Wobbler album. But the OP likens King Crimson, VDGG and GG to RIO so I don't think we're all on the same page there. To me, "Silence to Somewhere" is great , dark Nordic symphonic rock. Really looking forward to the Terra Incognita performance!

I listened to the first track after opening this thread. I didn't hear any Avant/RIO, but I thought that track was quite good. The vocals were a little troubling, but not a deal breaker. It's not top priority, but I'll likely pick it up at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I don't hear anything RIO/avant on the new Wobbler album. But the OP likens King Crimson, VDGG and GG to RIO so I don't think we're all on the same page there. To me, "Silence to Somewhere" is great , dark Nordic symphonic rock. Really looking forward to the Terra Incognita performance!
    Listened to the camples on Bandcamp. It's decent retro-Prog, with OK imitations of the usual suspects and an enjoyably high energy level when the music calls for it; plus the occasional shift into Giant territory (fairly common in retro-P) and occasional leanings toward VDGG (not so common, but maybe more so than in the past). It certainly isn't avant or anything like it. The closest it comes is a few dissonant portions, a few raw edges, and a few imperfect Hammill-ish vocal moments. And, as others have pointed out, it sometimes resembles Deluge Grander a bit. (All in my opinion, of course.)

By the way, who plays flute? Ketil Einarsen?
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 02-03-2018 at 02:02 AM.

It's OK in my book (worthy of around my top 10 of the year), but I don't see the hoopla some are making of it
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    It's OK in my book (worthy of around my top 10 of the year), but I don't see the hoopla some are making of it
    Same for me. It is an enjoyable retro prog release. Nothing more but also nothing less.

I've listened to the new Wobbler 3-4 times and I can enjoy parts of it. But it can also be an annoying racket. Two observations (1) don't try to listen to the whole thing at once. (2) don't do anything else that requires intellectual attention while listening. For example there is a lot of dense and sophisticated prog and jazz that I can enjoy while doing my computer programming work. Not this.

Will it be a classic for me? Dunno. But it is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I've listened to the new Wobbler 3-4 times and I can enjoy parts of it. But it can also be an annoying racket. Two observations (1) don't try to listen to the whole thing at once. (2) don't do anything else that requires intellectual attention while listening. For example there is a lot of dense and sophisticated prog and jazz that I can enjoy while doing my computer programming work. Not this.

Will it be a classic for me? Dunno. But it is interesting.

Going to give this a few more spins over the weekend, some of my friends who have this album, also had a hard time at first but are slowly coming round to liking it. Unlike their other albums, this to me is a hard album to enjoy. Maybe later, I will change my mind!...

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    LOVE their back catalogue

LOVED their NEARFest set

LOVE watching the NF 2005 DVD

LOVE the new album too

Each album is slightly different than the previous one but each has their own charm/complexities/melodic earworms...FSTS is my pick for best 2017 release.
    +1

As Prog Rock goes, From Silence to Somewhere is relatively tame stuff. If you can't get your ears around this, and think that KC, GG and VDGG are Avant/RIO, maybe this isn't the genre for you? Nothing wrong with that, plenty of great music out there. But at a certain point, if your tastes are that conservative, maybe it's time to move on?

Bill