Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devin Townsend. Where the hell does one start?

Devin Townsend. Where the hell does one start?

Seriously. Too much to figure it out on my own. Help.

I can only fall so far down this rabbit hole at work. This is what I've been impressed with today:

Of course, I fell down this hole looking for demo videos of the Mooer Devin Townsend Ocean Machine reverb/delay pedal, like one does.

It is a hard call, given that his sound changes a lot from album to album. I think my best recommendation is to start with the first four Devin Townsend Project albums (Ki, Addicted!, Deconstruction, and Ghost) and listen to tracks from each to see what you like from them. Each of them are very different from each other, and gives you the full gambit of what he does.

From my own personal discovery, I started with Terria. My favorite album is Epicloud.

Epicloud.

Terria from 2001 is quite good.

Anything from him with Anneke...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    It is a hard call, given that his sound changes a lot from album to album. I think my best recommendation is to start with the first four Devin Townsend Project albums (Ki, Addicted!, Deconstruction, and Ghost) and listen to tracks from each to see what you like from them. Each of them are very different from each other, and gives you the full gambit of what he does.

From my own personal discovery, I started with Terria. My favorite album is Epicloud.

I think starting with the first 4 DTP albums is a good recommendation. Lots of different styles to choose from there.

My beginning was with 'Terria' as well and I've been a huge fan ever since. 'Ocean Machine' is my personal favorite although they're all pretty slammin'. DT is an amazing musician and is always working.

See him live!!!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I would suggest Terria. It's a good cross-section of his many sides, and the songs are uniformly great.

Thanks all. Will be sampling Terria and Epicloud today, to start.

Jon Neudorf
    Don't forget about Synchestra. Also a great album.

Jon

From a recent Devin T statement :
    So after 8 years of touring with DTP, I’ve decided to take a break from this band and focus on a number of other projects I’ve been really wanting to do for some time now...I have 4 new albums I am currently working on. I am currently in the finishing stages one of the grandest and most overwhelming projects that I have been fortunate to do. It’s certainly my favourite DVD release of them all and is a powerful moment, if I can say so myself. Ocean Machine Live In Plovdiv (tentative name) Mixing the orchestras, choirs, the ‘by-request’ set and the full Ocean Machine album in that magnificent setting has been hugely rewarding. Seeing this spectacle come to life is a testament to this period of work and I can’t wait for you to see and hear it.
    I remember tomorrow

It's a shame about Dev moving on a bit but he's basically been playing with the same guys for nearly 20 years so I'd expect they'll be back soon.

As for recommendations, I'd go Terrier, Epicloud and Transcendence. Just absolutely love Higher > Stars > Transcendence, sublime music!

This is incredible...

He's also a clown and doesn't take himself to seriously as you'll see with the Ziltoid stuff...

Best merchandise pitch i ever heard was when i saw him back in 2002, he sez "go to the merch table, buy my new cd, and shove it in your ass!"

So i bought two.

great stuff and now i realize there's a lot to catch up on since then.

Strapping Young Lad was his best band. Check out the album City.

Agree, City is a fantastic album. Room 429 is my favourite song, just sounds claustrophobic....amazing.

I'd go with 'Infinity' simply because no one has mentioned it yet and also because it's by far the greatest thing he's ever done*. Avoid looking directly at the album cover though...

*although i must admit i have a hard time with much of his overtly symphonic prog output these days, prefering the less metal, more off the wall stuff.

My son is a huge fan of DT, but I personally don't care for his music much other than a song or two here and there. What I did hear recently from DT that I liked were some tracks from Casualty Of Cool. My 4-year-old granddaughter was digging it too.
    <sig out of order>

There's no one simple answer. My one simple answer despite that? Synchestra.

My nutshell breakdown for each:

Biomech - gloomy atmospheric-metal awesomeness. "Life" (above) is good, but definitely the most atypical song on it.
    Infinity - sometimes patchy but gets points for sheer lunatic ambition. If you like it, don't miss the Christeen EP as well.
    Physicist - largely eclectic OTT thrash like Strapping Young Lad, though a bit too half-baked.
    Terria - a great complement to Biomech. Both are slow growers that have a lot to offer and need time to sink in.
    Accelerated Evolution - pretty straightforward stuff with an emphasis on verse/chorus songwriting. Not bad, not exceptional.
    Synchestra - a more successful attempt at focusing on melody/lyrics while incorporating his humorous and experimental sides. Also warm and upbeat overall, which really helps.
    Ziltoid 1 - space-metal-opera in the Rocky Horror homage/parody mold. Great fun if not to everyone's taste.
    Ki (DTP) - smoldering rather than heavy. He was trying to back away from the obvious loud/heavy mold and found a fantastic sense of restraint.
    Addicted (DTP) - lots of hooks and lots of fun. It's sort of like Accelerated Evolution but the writing is tons better.
    Deconstruction (DTP) - his attempt at the most dense, heavy, intricate, overwhelming what-the-fuck-is-this piece of mental overload he'd ever done. And he absolutely succeeded.
    Ghost (DTP) - acoustic airy new-age stuff, though way more solid than that term suggests.
    Epicloud (DTP) - sort of a summary of the preceding tetralogy. Some folks don't like the happy/catchy tone, but I say that's a big part of why it's great. The added Epiclouder comp is solid enough to be more than just a bonus disc.
    Ziltoid 2 - don't think I listened to this more than once. My impression was that the story (a ridiculous parody of sci-fi sequels) takes too much precedence and it's just too annoying to listen past. Might get around to the special songs-only edition someday.
    Sky Blue - pretty solid with a nice weirdness quotient, though a bit dragged down by heavy emotional themes.
    Transcendence - in the vein of Epicloud, but more vast and ambitious. Great, though probably better after you're familiar with some earlier stuff.

Too much?
    Last edited by Spiral; 02-03-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Oh yes, forgot Casualties of Cool, maybe because it's a duo album. That one's very good too; sort of a soft rustic-pop record with tinges of psychedelia.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Ziltoid 2 - don't think I listened to this more than once. My impression was that the story (a ridiculous parody of sci-fi sequels) takes too much precedence and it's just too annoying to listen past. Might get around to the special songs-only edition someday.
    The Raw disc in the 3 disc edition is better for actually listening to the songs, without the narrator talking over the whole thing.

V sorry to hear that DTP has split. Only just got into them in the last year but year, its quite diverse and overwhelming. This is my favourite, a lovely modern hymn. Incredible drumming!

and this is great too, a bit Floydy

and this is good fun!
    Last edited by revporl; 02-04-2018 at 05:26 AM.