Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson "To the Bone" tour 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    The big question. Is the pre-Permanating speech before he "gets on with it" long enough to go out and get a beer?
    Easily!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    For the life of me, I do not recall the fourth person in that gif. Why is that man in Raph's apartment?
    Mr. Manicotti. They were getting dance lessons from Shiny Shirt Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    The big question. Is the pre-Permanating speech before he "gets on with it" long enough to go out and get a beer?
    Except tonight's show in London! Since he was filming for a bluray release, he stated at the beginning of the concert that he'd keep the inter-song banter to a minimum given the hard 11pm curfew time, which he largely did. Before Permanating, he did give a capsule review of his speech, just enough to piss off those so inclined. He also had a troupe of Bollywood dancers performing on stage during the song (similar, I'm told, to Tuesday night's show in London).

While it was a very good performance, it kept largely to his standard European setlist. For me (and the Scottish guy sitting next to me), it didn't have the magic of his Wednesday night performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    Except tonight's show in London! Since he was filming for a bluray release, he stated at the beginning of the concert that he'd keep the inter-song banter to a minimum given the hard 11pm curfew time, which he largely did. Before Permanating, he did give a capsule review of his speech, just enough to piss off those so inclined. He also had a troupe of Bollywood dancers performing on stage during the song (similar, I'm told, to Tuesday night's show in London).

While it was a very good performance, it kept largely to his standard European setlist. For me (and the Scottish guy sitting next to me), it didn't have the magic of his Wednesday night performance.
    And you are sure they did no filming of the Wed night show, just Thurs night? Usually when they do these DVD filmings they film multiple nights to cover more songs or in case something gets messed up.

Richard Barbieri joined him to open the 3rd RAH show with "Buying New Soul". https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steve...-7bef7230.html
    Bluray = autobuy.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

What prog fans dancing would look like.
    All I'll do is "The Harold," a "dance" which Fish described in his banter on one show (or tour). It amounted to standing with your arms crossed, holding your beer, and very slightly bopping around. That's as much of a spectacle as I'll make of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    All I'll do is "The Harold," a "dance" which Fish described in his banter on one show (or tour). It amounted to standing with your arms crossed, holding your beer, and very slightly bopping around. That's as much of a spectacle as I'll make of myself.
    I think as long as you're visibly enjoying the music, that's probably all Steven really wants to see.

What fascinates ne is that he has to motivate his reason for writing Permanating. All this talk about how amazing good pop music like ABBA is. All of a sudden pop is just as hip as prog. Didn't he slam Coldplay a few years ago btw? They are far better at writing pop songs. Permanating, and especially the live performances of it, is just ... bizarre.

Lucky Man

What prog fans dancing would look like.
    Just seeing this makes me feel better. About just about everything.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    All this talk about how amazing good pop music like ABBA is. All of a sudden pop is just as hip as prog.
    Oh no, nothing could ever be as profoundly hip as prog. If there's anything it truly is, hip comes immediately to mind.

As for Abba, their music was at times impeccably intricate in harmonic development, orchestral dynamics and arrangement - in other words, not comparable to Steven Wilson whatsoever. Some of the most fascinating academic writing on popular music I ever read was about Abba.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Oh no, nothing could ever be as profoundly hip as prog. If there's anything it truly is, hip comes immediately to mind.

As for Abba, their music was at times impeccably intricate in harmonic development, orchestral dynamics and arrangement - in other words, not comparable to Steven Wilson whatsoever. Some of the most fascinating academic writing on popular music I ever read was about Abba.
    Always wanted to call you an ABBA lovin' so-and-so, Richard.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

^ And now you can do that for free!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    What fascinates ne is that he has to motivate his reason for writing Permanating. All this talk about how amazing good pop music like ABBA is.
    Hell, I remember a similar speech during his solo opening set on the first Blackfield tour in ‘05. He played the song he’d recorded for Cover Version, and took a minute to briefly explain that ABBA had done a lot more smart songwriting than most people realize (true enough). It was a different scenario since the song was nice and depressing, but he was able to straightforwardly talk about the band and about being a fan without being nearly so defensive.

I can sort of almost see his point about “Permanating,” but listeners in general are a lot less intolerant than he’s assuming. My guess is that a good majority can either enjoy the tune or just say “whatever, it’s not for me” and move on. Like any other song, for that matter.

Mr. Manicotti. They were getting dance lessons from Shiny Shirt Guy.
    Oh yeah, I remember the episode, I just don't remember Mr. Manicotti joining the festivities. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    In all seriousness, I think Wilson's feeling a need to justify "Permanating" is, er, justified. There are plenty of "prog fans" who scoff at songs like that, simply because it's "not prog". The same kind of people who look down their nose at bands like Abba because they made pop music -- never mind the fact that they were brilliant at it, and made some of the best of that kind IMO.
    There are always some of them, sure, but my view above was that catering to that viewpoint does nobody any good. Some of that crowd might change their minds or learn to like [insert catchy thing here] if they gave it a try, but lecturing isn’t going to help convince anyone. It’d be more sensible to just let the thing speak for itself. “Hey, if you don’t like it, we’ll be doing something nice and snobby next.”

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    There are always some of them, sure, but my view above was that catering to that viewpoint does nobody any good. Some of that crowd might change their minds or learn to like [insert catchy thing here] if they gave it a try, but lecturing isn’t going to help convince anyone. It’d be more sensible to just let the thing speak for itself. “Hey, if you don’t like it, we’ll be doing something nice and snobby next.”
    Agreed. I completely agree with Steven's point about an artist should do what they want and not panda to an audience. However, it would have made more sense to have Permanating on the Blackfield V album and have From 44 to 48 on To The Bone. Permanating makes no sense in the middle of TTB or his live show and trying to justify it just winds me up further. When I first heard that song I didn't like it but that's ok, I don't always like 100% of what he does. His long winded justifications and seemingly trying to belittle anyone for not liking it or dancing to it really pisses me off. I wonder if he'll program the Blu Ray so that you can't skip it?!
    Last edited by Steve983; 03-30-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Perhaps by the time he hits the USofA he will figure that everybody 'gets it' and stops.
    Nope , the speech is programmed into the click track.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I just think this whole "speech" thing is overblown. Some folks are overreacting, IMO.

Following the comments of this thread, especially the one above about the show in '05 and ABBA. Saw the same tour I think you're referring to. There is a recent interview I watched somewhere he did on this tour. I do NOT like this album, but wanted to see what he had to say anyway. He's rehashing the same stuff he's been saying for going on 15 years now. He actually smashed another iPod. He referred to the pop HE listens to as "Pure POP." Seriously?! His pop is better than anyone else pop? For fuck sake. I found the interview annoying. He sounds bitter, and not exactly sure why. Its like he needs to justify and support what he's doing by going back to talking about the Donna Summer albums he grew up with, ABBA, name dropping all the bands he listened to as if to lend credibility to it. At this point, after 15 years of hearing the same thing, who gives a shit? I feel with this album as I did right from the start, he's trying to find himself, he seems rudderless and uncertain. He wants to be ABBA or Bruno Mars or whoever he's listening to at the moment and never will be. He's miffed about those that don't like this album and makes a speech for three sold out nights at RAH? Get a grip dude. It makes me think the ones at these shows aren't the ones he was trying to convince he's a a pop star. I don't recall Akerfeldt EVER sounding this annoyed, bitter or incessantly justifying the direction he took with Opeth. I was firmly seated on the Wilson fan wagon for 20 years, and I guess I sadly exited with everything surrounding this album...and to be clear, I haven't liked everything he's put out, so I'm not being a fair-weather fan!

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    [...] He referred to the pop HE listens to as "Pure POP." Seriously?! His pop is better than anyone else pop? [...]
    I don't think that's what he meant by "pure pop". I'd venture to say that he's using the term "pure" to describe pop in its most distilled form, not to somehow elevate what he listens to above what others listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Following the comments of this thread, especially the one above about the show in '05 and ABBA. Saw the same tour I think you're referring to. There is a recent interview I watched somewhere he did on this tour. I do NOT like this album, but wanted to see what he had to say anyway. He's rehashing the same stuff he's been saying for going on 15 years now. He actually smashed another iPod. He referred to the pop HE listens to as "Pure POP." Seriously?! His pop is better than anyone else pop? For fuck sake. I found the interview annoying. He sounds bitter, and not exactly sure why. Its like he needs to justify and support what he's doing by going back to talking about the Donna Summer albums he grew up with, ABBA, name dropping all the bands he listened to as if to lend credibility to it. At this point, after 15 years of hearing the same thing, who gives a shit? I feel with this album as I did right from the start, he's trying to find himself, he seems rudderless and uncertain. He wants to be ABBA or Bruno Mars or whoever he's listening to at the moment and never will be. He's miffed about those that don't like this album and makes a speech for three sold out nights at RAH? Get a grip dude. It makes me think the ones at these shows aren't the ones he was trying to convince he's a a pop star. I don't recall Akerfeldt EVER sounding this annoyed, bitter or incessantly justifying the direction he took with Opeth. I was firmly seated on the Wilson fan wagon for 20 years, and I guess I sadly exited with everything surrounding this album...and to be clear, I haven't liked everything he's put out, so I'm not being a fair-weather fan!
    I say this not to attack, but for perspective. Reading this, I find that you sound bitter, and really need to get a grip. It probably was not your intention to sound bitter and grasping anymore than its Wilson's intention when he speaks about things he feels passionately about. Just for perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I say this not to attack, but for perspective. Reading this, I find that you sound bitter, and really need to get a grip. It probably was not your intention to sound bitter and grasping anymore than its Wilson's intention when he speaks about things he feels passionately about. Just for perspective.
    Thanks, but Im not bitter, just tired of his rants...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I just think this whole "speech" thing is overblown. Some folks are overreacting, IMO.
    Maybe. I suppose I'm guessing, based on what I know of SW's views and the fact that people have been finding his comments annoying. We'd have to read/hear the words to form an actual opinion.

Personally, I find ABBA to be one of the deeply unpleasant legacies from my childhood I'm actually rather keen to avoid. For all the undoubted harmonic cleverness of some of their compositions, I find their music to be dreadful, lightweight, cheesy camp shite. Wilson is perfectly entitled to enjoy that kind of thing if he likes it, but if he then chooses to indulge in didactic rants at those of us who DON'T like it, as if we have some kind of mental defect, then he can f**k right off, quite frankly. I like a lot of pop music, I do NOT like ABBA, however: A does not have to equal B.

And I say this as someone who now quite likes his latest album - including 'Permamanting.' The whining really has to stop, though, imho; it says more about SW than it does his audience, afaic.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Personally, I find ABBA to be one of the deeply unpleasant legacies from my childhood I'm actually rather keen to avoid. For all the undoubted harmonic cleverness of some of their compositions, I find their music to be dreadful, lightweight, cheesy camp shite. Wilson is perfectly entitled to enjoy that kind of thing if he likes it, but if he then chooses to indulge in didactic rants at those of us who DON'T like it, as if we have some kind of mental defect, then he can f**k right off, quite frankly. I like a lot of pop music, I do NOT like ABBA, however: A does not have to equal B.

And I say this as someone who now quite likes his latest album - including 'Permamanting.' The whining really has to stop, though, imho; it says more about SW than it does his audience, afaic.
    Oh brother...

So you don't like Abba, that's fine. Wilson is still perfectly entitled to defend Abba's importance as he sees it, if he feels that they aren't getting the credit they deserve. Good lord... Of course he doesn't think you have a "mental defect" if you don't like them.

I don't get this offense-taking here. It's really weird. Almost like some people just want to find any excuse to be pissed off about something.