Thread: Whatever happened to Salem Hill?

Whatever happened to Salem Hill?

I was listening to "The Future Me" from Mimi's Magic Moment, and I was wondering what happened to this band. I checked their Facebook page, and their last update was in early 2017, when they announced they were working on a new album and had a new website -- which still isn't functioning yet.

Does anyone have any information on these guys? They were really talented.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Their most recent studio offering, the dually-titled Unseen Cord"/"Thicker Than Water" (2014)was quite good, released around the time I last saw Carl Groves with Glass Hammer. Didn't realize this was more than a couple of years ago. Big fan.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull - Opps, wrong thread.

I am friends with both Mike Dearing and Carl Groves on Facebook, but have not seen either of them post much about anything new recently. Mike plays full time with a blues band in Nashville (who also tours on occasion), and Carl seems pretty busy with his full time job too, so it may just be time constraints, but don't really know. I also thought their last album was quite strong. I am not sure if either of them are members here at P.E. or not.

I remember having a Salem Hill album about 20 years ago, nice but dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I remember having a Salem Hill album about 20 years ago, nice but dull.
    Some of their stuff I like better than others. "Be" and "The Robbery Of Murder" are still probably my favorites.

I have about half a dozen of their studio releases as well as the DVD "Mystery Loves Company" (thanks, Progeezer), but haven't listened to them in several years. I do remember Carl Groves and Michael Dearing being immensely talented (obligatory IMHO).
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Carl Groves and Mike Koeniger released an album together in 2017 called The Lazarus Trio. Karl plays all the instruments. It rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Carl Groves and Mike Koeniger released an album together in 2017 called The Lazarus Trio. Karl plays all the instruments. It rocks.
    Thanks for the reminder, I need to check that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    I have about half a dozen of their studio releases as well as the DVD "Mystery Loves Company" (thanks, Progeezer), but haven't listened to them in several years. I do remember Carl Groves and Michael Dearing being immensely talented (obligatory IMHO).
    Dearing was a touring member of country star Grechin Wilson's band for a while back in the mid 00's. He got to play all over the world in huge venues including a Superbowl pre-game if I remember correctly when she was at her commercial peak. Both Michael and Carl are very talented as is the rest of the band.

Second here for Robbery of Murder. Brilliant album. Was so good live at Progday (96 or 97). Still one of my favs too.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"