Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grammys 2018

Grammys 2018

Before the show ever hits the air, they already have given out most of the awards that I would have an interest in. I read where Avenged Sevenfold didn't bother attending since the Rock Song award is now not being televised anymore either. I was hoping Gregg Allman wouldve gotten one in either of the categories he was nominated in (Americana/American Roots), but he lost to Jason Isbell in each category.

Some off-the-air winners:

Best Rock Performance:
    "You Want It Darker" — Leonard Cohen

Best Rock Song:
    "Run" — Foo Fighters, songwriters (Foo Fighters)

Best Rock Album:
    A Deeper Understanding — The War On Drugs

Best Metal Performance:
    "Sultan’s Curse" — Mastodon

Best Contemporary Instrumental Album:
    Prototype — Jeff Lorber Fusion

Best Dance/Electronic Album:
    3-D The Catalogue — Kraftwerk

Best New Age Album:
    Dancing On Water — Peter Kater

Best Improvised Jazz Solo:
    "Miles Beyond" — John McLaughlin, soloist

Best Traditional Blues Album:
    Blue & Lonesome — The Rolling Stones

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That Leonard Cohen album is great.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Surprised that Jethro Tull guy didn't win best metal performance.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Before the show ever hits the air, they already have given out most of the awards that I would have an interest in.

Best Rock Album:
    A Deeper Understanding — The War On Drugs
    I actually don't know if the awards were already televised or not - I guess you're saying they were or will be tonight? But it's crazy they didn't want The War on Drugs to go up on stage to accept, and maybe to perform? This is probably part of why there seems to be so little new music that isn't "urban." It's now shunned by the media, so has no chance to develop buzz or appeal. But I'd heard pretty good things about this band, just as far as a new young band some young people might enjoy.

I've got my popcorn ready and can't wait for the Helen Reddy medley at the end!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But it's crazy they didn't want The War on Drugs to go up on stage to accept, and maybe to perform? This is probably part of why there seems to be so little new music that isn't "urban." It's now shunned by the media, so has no chance to develop buzz or appeal.
    I think you have that backwards. I'm sure that the network has some say in what's televised on their airwaves, and they only care about ratings. Ratings are driven by airing popular acts, and as has been discussed here before, rock music just isn't popular anymore. So, you're going to see more rap, hip-hop and urban music on these types of shows.

I only saw a little bit, but I did happen to catch the tributes to Fats Domino and Chuck Berry by Jon Batiste and Gary Clark, Jr., which was fantastic. It was good to see those guys get a prime slot on the show. And I managed to see P!nk's performance, which was not what I expected. After her last awards show performance, where she sang a song from the side of a building, I had high expectations, but for this year's Grammy's, she just stood at a microphone, belted out a song, and still managed to captivate and impress.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

Some off-the-air winners:

Best Traditional Blues Album:
    Blue & Lonesome — The Rolling Stones
    I'm not a Rolling Stones fan by any stretch but I LOVE this album

The Political BS that was aired absolutely disgusted me........Poor Jay-Z didn't win anything....boo hoo
    G.A.S -aholic

Other than the mentioned tribute to Fats Domino and Chuck Berry, the only 'rock' potion of the show was Sting doing 'Englishman in New York'
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Other than the mentioned tribute to Fats Domino and Chuck Berry, the only 'rock' potion of the show was Sting doing 'Englishman in New York'
    Wasn't U2 on?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I was cleaning 40-50 year old records during it (kids were intently watching) but I did peek at Elton John and Miley Cyrus singing Tiny Dancer. She was great.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Two prog-related albums were nominated but did not win:

Brian Eno: Reflection (for New Age)
    Roger Waters: Is This the Life We Really Want (for Engineering, Non-Classical).
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Well at least they included Alan Holdsworth on the scroll of RIP, even though the Grammys pretend that prog doesn't exist for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wasn't U2 on?
    Oops, yes indeed, as well as Sir Elton and his band
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I actually don't know if the awards were already televised or not - I guess you're saying they were or will be tonight? But it's crazy they didn't want The War on Drugs to go up on stage to accept, and maybe to perform? This is probably part of why there seems to be so little new music that isn't "urban." It's now shunned by the media, so has no chance to develop buzz or appeal. But I'd heard pretty good things about this band, just as far as a new young band some young people might enjoy.
    I think you have that backwards. I'm sure that the network has some say in what's televised on their airwaves, and they only care about ratings. Ratings are driven by airing popular acts, and as has been discussed here before, rock music just isn't popular anymore. So, you're going to see more rap, hip-hop and urban music on these types of shows.
    How is this different from what I said? I said the media isn’t interested in music that isn’t “urban.” Obviously that’s because urban music sells.

How is this different from what I said? I said the media isn’t interested in music that isn’t “urban.” Obviously that’s because urban music sells.
    I interpreted your comment to mean that the media is driving the popularity - rock isn't popular because it's ignored by the media. I'm arguing the opposite - it's ignored by the media because it's not popular.

Rock went into serious decline as a commercial force long ago. A lot of the hyped-up rock bands over the last 15 years have offered nothing more than retreads anyway. I never saw the point of that and stuck to the 50s/60s/70s stuff and will continue to do so.

I wouldn't say that 'urban' has replaced it particularly- at the moment it's all Ed Sheeran and the like.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-29-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Holdsworth did get in the "In Memorium" section so that's something.

It was a big sweep for Bruno Mars, who the critics say is a lightweight. No surprise seeing the Grammys play it safe - they always do.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Wasn't U2 on?
    Yes. They aired their pre-recorded performance on the show, but acted as if they performed during the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It was a big sweep for Bruno Mars, who the critics say is a lightweight.
    I think he's pretty damned talented.

I get it that everyone wanted Kendrick Lamar to win everything, but awards shows rarely give everyone what they want.

It was a big sweep for Bruno Mars, who the critics say is a lightweight. No surprise seeing the Grammys play it safe - they always do.
    I don't listen to his stuff myself but I didn't get the sense that album was even that popular (relatively speaking!). Whereas I remember the singles from the previous albums being everywhere. Maybe it was different in the US, I don't know.

Again he is not 'urban' by any stretch- a very retro pop/R&B act. It's a very 'pop' period more than anything, IMHO.

https://mic.com/articles/187654/dont...mys#.adys1TLt2
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-29-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Holdsworth did get in the "In Memorium" section so that's something.
    Yep, I mentioned that above.

I think he's pretty damned talented.

I get it that everyone wanted Kendrick Lamar to win everything, but awards shows rarely give everyone what they want.
    Although I am not into most of the music he does, Bruno Mars is an amazingly talented guy. He deserves the accolades he has received.

I interpreted your comment to mean that the media is driving the popularity - rock isn't popular because it's ignored by the media. I'm arguing the opposite - it's ignored by the media because it's not popular.
    Sorry, to me it wasn't important WHO was driving it, just that the media no longer cover it, and so of course it sort of fades away from popular consciousness and major labels forget about it too. But I didn't mean to make it sound like the media wasn't giving the people what they want, because sadly that's definitely the mode they're in now as far as music goes, instead of being taste-makers in any way.

The baloney program that comes on after they broadcast the lottery numbers here was rambling on abouthe Grammys, about all the things they thought were wrong, etc, etc. They were going on about Beyonce showing up in the middle of the show, apparently a swipe at the NARAS because whichever record she made didn't get nominated or whatever. Then they were going on about there not being enough women winners, etc.

And apparently Bruno Mars won three Grammys, in whichever categories, supposedly the last time that happened was Carole King for Tapestry back in 197whatever.

They were just going on and on about this nonsense, like they haven't been paying attention for the last 50 years. Look: the NARAS has been missing the mark ever since they gave "Best Rock N Roll Performance" to Nino Tempo and April Stevens for their version of Deep Purple. So it shouldn't be surprising they're still dropping the ball just yards from the end zone.

Personally, the only Grammy I really cared about, after a certain point, was best rock instrumental, and they don't even have that one anymore, so I don't pay attention at all nowadays, though the classical and jazz awards might be interesting.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The only thing I learned from the portion of the Grammies I saw, is that Ke$ha is a white woman. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I had never seen her before.

The best thing about the Grammies is they annually remind me about this song:

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973