Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grammys 2018

re: Kesha,

I knew who she is, but mainly because a few years ago, she did atour where she had backup singers who were dressed like escapees from a Residents tribute band. Seriously, they were wearing eyeball masks, and this was noted on whichever website, which then started trending all over Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I don't either, but she's damn sure evolved both musically and lyrically since then based on Joanne.
    Wished the rest of that stuff would evolve. Good grief!
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Never even heard of her.
    You hear these names and they mean nothing. Then you find out they have sold millions of albums. Adele is a good example and I still haven't heard one single song by her.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    You hear these names and they mean nothing. Then you find out they have sold millions of albums. Adele is a good example and I still haven't heard one single song by her.
    I didn't realize that they made two-bedroom rocks.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I didn't realize that they made two-bedroom rocks.

The National
    Mastodon
    The War On Drugs

Not all the winners were crap.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    The National
    Mastodon
    The War On Drugs

I think the most recent Foo Fighters album is excellent too. I have not liked everything they have done over the years, but this album is killer IMO.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The National
    Mastodon
    The War On Drugs

Leonard Cohen
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Well, admittedly, I'm out of touch with modern mainstream music. A lot of what I do hear is the stuff they inflict on us at work. In the case of Adele, it was something called Rumor Has It. Katy Perry had Wide Awake. If I remember correctly, Bruno Mars had that one song that went "You gotta lift your head up/But let your hair down". And so on. As far as I'm concerned, we're talking Geneva Convention violations (actually, that's not true, the Geneva Convention violations at work would be things like Starship, Culture Club, Orleans, and 80's era Elton John, but the newer stuff isn't far behind).

I extended my current streak of NEVER having watched the Grammy's...

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Leonard Cohen
    Roger that, captain!!! Blatant omission on my part there!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, admittedly, I'm out of touch with modern mainstream music. A lot of what I do hear is the stuff they inflict on us at work. In the case of Adele, it was something called Rumor Has It. Katy Perry had Wide Awake. If I remember correctly, Bruno Mars had that one song that went "You gotta lift your head up/But let your hair down". And so on. As far as I'm concerned, we're talking Geneva Convention violations (actually, that's not true, the Geneva Convention violations at work would be things like Starship, Culture Club, Orleans, and 80's era Elton John, but the newer stuff isn't far behind).
    I hear everything your saying. At work, for me, I have these little red ear buds connected to a machine and......

I still say the best singer, the best band is stuck in a west Texas roadhouse.

once again the only grammy winner I currently own is the one for best boxed or limited packaging with the neato voyager record release this year.

I hear everything your saying. At work, for me, I have these little red ear buds connected to a machine and......
    Well, I was doing that, until we got a new general manager, and she informed that the "employee handbook" stipulates that earbuds/headphones/whatever constitute some kind of "food safety risk" and hence are banned. Thus, I'm forced to listen to the crimes against music Muzak rams down our throats. Admittedly, there are a few good tunes, and some very surprising ones, including three different songs sung by Bryan Ferry (two Roxy Music and a Ferry solo), a couple Squeeze numbers (Tempted and the LP version of Black Coffee In Bed), and a few others that aren't too bad. But they also pick some of the worst possible Genesis selections (though I should be thankful they haven't yet played Illegal Alien). And it's very repetitive.

What I can't comprehend is, I've been to other stores with piped in music, and I've heard Chuck Berry, Wishbone Ash, David Bowie, Blue Oyster Cult, Funkadelic, etc, and I can't suss out why we can't get those songs at my work place!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    What I can't comprehend is, I've been to other stores with piped in music, and I've heard Chuck Berry, Wishbone Ash, David Bowie, Blue Oyster Cult, Funkadelic, etc, and I can't suss out why we can't get those songs at my work place!!!
    Whoa, that's pretty hip for Muzak. Although I will never get over the time I heard Focus's "Sylvia" on the sound system at Walgreen's.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The National
    Mastodon
    The War On Drugs

I had not heard of a band called "The War On Drugs." If you think they're good, I'll check them out. Who knew the Grammies could lead me to tolerable music?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I had not heard of a band called "The War On Drugs." If you think they're good, I'll check them out. Who knew the Grammies could lead me to tolerable music?
    I have only heard a few of their songs, but everything I have heard I have liked. A band I have been meaning to explore more of.

I really like that clip! Don't know if anyone else hears it, but the singer has a real Jesse Colin Young quality (I love JCY).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Whoa, that's pretty hip for Muzak. Although I will never get over the time I heard Focus's "Sylvia" on the sound system at Walgreen's.
    Speaking of Walgreen's I heard Hear No Evil by Television there once. Now THAT was weird!!!